Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to be anxious about smokers staying at our flat and wwyd.

(20 Posts)
CantThinkOfAGoodUsername Sun 29-Oct-17 14:42:37

We have family staying with us, (myself,dp,dd4 and I’m pregnant)
They are staying with us because they are helping us out in the sense that they are moving away and are going to rent their property to us so having work done beforehand and need to be out for 2 weeks.
Obviously they was aware no smoking indoors and that’s ok as they go in the Garden. Thing is, they stink and all their stuff stinks of smoke where they smoked indoors for 40 years. They are making my current flat stink of old smoke and I don’t know if this is harmful to my child and myself but I’m worried sick that it could.
Any ideas on how to handle this?
What can I do. Shall I just suck it up for 2 weeks?

SuperMoonIsKeepingMeUpToo Sun 29-Oct-17 14:47:16

Are you sure you want to rent their house? If they've been smoking indoors for 20 years it's really going to stink. The next two weeks are going to be the least of your worries.

CantThinkOfAGoodUsername Sun 29-Oct-17 14:48:39

Yes I hear you but they are having it completely redecorated and New everything

Trills Sun 29-Oct-17 14:48:41

Being around people with smoky clothes is not going to harm you.

But if you are finding it this unpleasant to have them in your house, it's very likely that you will HATE being in their house.

magpiemischief Sun 29-Oct-17 15:05:22

Burn some good quality scented candles? Make fresh coffee. Do some baking. Open windows.

MrsPicklesonSmythe Sun 29-Oct-17 15:07:13

It isn't going to harm you for a couple of weeks.

OlennasWimple Sun 29-Oct-17 15:15:38

No need to be worried about the effect on your baby from stale smoke, so you can relax on that score. It does sound a bit grim, though.

Open windows, invest in some scented candles (TK Maxx do nice ones), and try to go out as much as possible?

specialsubject Sun 29-Oct-17 15:16:53

it reeks like anything but it won't harm you. However your flat will stink for ages afterwards. Out-stinking with horrific candles won't work.

and unless the place you are renting is being recarpeted and fully redecorated (sugar soap, wallpaper off) it is going to smell as well.

CantThinkOfAGoodUsername Sun 29-Oct-17 17:01:23

Well they have told us, they are sugar soaping walls and ceiling, plus recarpeting everywhere and will be unfurnished so I will have to get some new curtains. That should be ok right?

haveagobletofblood Sun 29-Oct-17 17:04:08

Should be ok although you wouldn't want baby around all that smoke once it comes.

grannysmiff Sun 29-Oct-17 17:04:29

Christ

Grottobags Sun 29-Oct-17 17:06:06

If they've smoked inside for 40 years you won't get rid of that smell in a hurry, no matter what you do.

YellowMakesMeSmile Sun 29-Oct-17 17:08:38

After 40 years of smoking, it's not going to undo all the damage by a clean and new carpets. There's no way as a non smoker I'd want to live there.

Needadvicetoleave Sun 29-Oct-17 20:36:16

Yeah, you won't want that house! It's really hard to get rid of the smell.

We bought a house from smokers, we had to strip all wallpaper, get rid of all floors, the kitchen, bathroom, everything before it went. Can still occasionally get a waft when the heating is on. Thankfully we've moved now.

LoveProsecco Sun 29-Oct-17 22:06:04

Sorry OP but I agree with others a smell will remain

Iseesheep Sun 29-Oct-17 22:30:39

No way will that house not smell of stale fags. None at all. Unless they've got rid of the old plaster and replaced it with new and ripped out all the wood (skirtings, floor boards etc). Even worse if it's a new build with plasterboard. You'd have to practically rebuild the bloody thing! I spent 2 years in a house previously occupied by a smoker for just 18 months. We stank of it. Even my poor dog stank of it. I moved out as soon as humanly possible. The smell was filthy and I'm an (outdoors only) smoker!

I'd be looking for somewhere else to rent.

letsmargaritatime Mon 30-Oct-17 09:04:43

Sorry op but I agree with the others as in my experience you will never get the smell out of the house

Standingcat Mon 30-Oct-17 09:30:28

We bought a house that had smokers in, we got rid of the smell, new furnishings, curtains, lots of airing. Took several weeks. Can’t smell it now and don’t regret buying the house

LurkingHusband Mon 30-Oct-17 09:54:48

Interesting to compare the answers here to the ones given on the recent thread about a driver not wishing to give lifts to a smoker smile where a great number of people assured everyone that smoke doesn't linger ...

WorraLiberty Mon 30-Oct-17 09:58:59

It stinks but it won't harm you. To put it into perspective, I'm sure you walk around streets with cars/buses going by, which is far more harmful.

However, the stink in their house will be unbearable for a while because the smell sinks into the plaster on the walls and ceiling, and that's something sugar soap isn't going to remove.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now