Talk

Advanced search

To want a roast dinner?

(64 Posts)
Figment1234 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:17:14

Lighthearted. Kind of.

DH and I are staying at my in-laws for the weekend. They are lovely people but they aren’t the best at providing meals.

This morning DH suggested to me that we take them out for a Sunday pub lunch. I heartily agreed. I asked what we would do if they said they didn’t want to. DH’s response was that we would go out for one ourselves.

Conversation has now gone:

DH: we’d like to take you out for a pub lunch today. Shall I book it?
MIL: no thanks, we don’t want to. I’ve got a pack of frozen stir fry veg we can have for lunch.
DH: oh that will be lovely, thank you.

AIBU to be fuming at the lost roast dinner? We travelled here separately and my DH has made plans to do an activity with his brother this afternoon, which can’t involve me. Thinking of getting in the car as soon as polite, driving home and making my own bloody roast dinner!

Santawontbelong Sun 29-Oct-17 11:18:22

Frozen stir fry veg?. You are in for a real treat there op.
Is there a reason they have made zero effort for your visit?

NapQueen Sun 29-Oct-17 11:18:37

Id just leave now and stop for one myself on the way home grin

Am sure you can make up some sort of excuse!!

StickThatInYourPipe Sun 29-Oct-17 11:18:41

YADNBU!! I would be very upset!

brilliantslight Sun 29-Oct-17 11:18:54

Yes! grin That sounds bloody awful. She didn't even try to make it sound appetizing!

StickThatInYourPipe Sun 29-Oct-17 11:19:14

Obviously this is grounds to LTB! grin

MongerTruffle Sun 29-Oct-17 11:19:31

YANBU
I would never refuse the offer of a roast dinner when the alternative is a stir fry.

PandorasXbox Sun 29-Oct-17 11:19:45

Just tell DH that you’re going for one?

StylishDuck Sun 29-Oct-17 11:20:03

Or better still, get in the car and drive to the nearest pub for a roast dinner so you don’t have to make it yourself. Then when DH gets back talk about how delicious it was and see how he feels then after having only had veg for lunch grin

Seriously though I would be pissed off too.

PotteringAlong Sun 29-Oct-17 11:20:10

So what are you doing this afternoon? I would definitely be off for lunch somewhere!

Shutupanddance1 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:20:26

This has put me in the mood for a roast dinner grin

powderbluerose Sun 29-Oct-17 11:20:45

LTB grin only joking... but seriously if I had it in my head that we’d be having a roast and it didn’t happen I’d be raging! Fucking stir fry?!? What a joke!

Say you need to pop out to run some errands and go for a roast on your own?!

Longdistance Sun 29-Oct-17 11:21:06

Stir fry in a Sunday? I’ve heard it all now.

Just go out, and conveniently land up at the pub for lunch.

brilliantslight Sun 29-Oct-17 11:21:37

My MIL once gave us dry cereal straight out of the packet for a picnic lunch to the beach.grin I think we must have upset her or something. Have you rubbed her up the wrong way on your visit OP?

brilliantslight Sun 29-Oct-17 11:22:34

Yes I am going to take myself off for a roast today! smile

PandorasXbox Sun 29-Oct-17 11:22:49

You say they aren’t the best at providing meals so don’t stay if you don’t want stir fry! Which I don’t blame you.

I’m baffled why they’d turn down a free Sunday lunch!

PinkHeart5914 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:24:31

Book yourself lunch out then when your dh goes out with his brother go and eat your roast!

Figment1234 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:27:06

No this is standard behaviour, every visit here, which is about every 3 months, is the same. It’s nothing sinister, They are just not used to entertaining. Totally opposite to my family where copious amounts of food and drink are available! They also plan nothing to do either. We all just sit on the sofa with everyone reading their own books!

Thinking I will drive home, make my own roast dinner, then when DH gets home later I will apologise and say there was only enough for one!

LTB would be a bit harsh.. he’s only been a DH for 3 weeks!

I just wish he’d never bothered to suggest the roast dinner in the first place!

RJnomore1 Sun 29-Oct-17 11:27:23

Get thee to a carvery!

Oysterbabe Sun 29-Oct-17 11:27:25

He didn't put much effort in did he?
"Oh it's frozen so you can have that tomorrow, come on my treat."
If they couldn't be talked round I think I'd have stepped in and said I quite fancied popping to the pub for lunch so we'd see them after.
What will they put with the stir-fry? Not just veg surely?

StripeyDeckchair Sun 29-Oct-17 11:28:05

I hate going out for a roast as I always look at it on my plate and think I could cook far better, tastier for the cost of 2 meals.

But if frozen stir fry veg was the alternative I'd go like a shot.

You know OP I think you've got that terrible bug that's doing the rounds coming on; dry, sore throat, sniffles? You'd best head for home now whilst you're ok to drive and have a quiet afternoon wrapped up on the sofa/in bed. 🤒

brilliantslight Sun 29-Oct-17 11:29:22

LTB would be a bit harsh.. he’s only been a DH for 3 weeks!

gringrin

x2boys Sun 29-Oct-17 11:30:07

My parents are like this we will go for lunch and we get some bizarre combinations and really small portions but they are very generous with their winegrin

Allabitmuchisntit Sun 29-Oct-17 11:30:50

Slow roasted shoulder of lamb going on here. Plenty for one more op!

PandorasXbox Sun 29-Oct-17 11:31:48

Going home alone is a tad dramatic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now