Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think it a a bit shit that pregnant women can't buy Castor Oil?

(194 Posts)
BlueButTrue Sun 29-Oct-17 10:08:00

Yes, I’m aware some people use it to induce labour. But some people also seriously abuse alcohol or whatever have you and are still sold it confused You wouldn’t even know they’re an alcoholic half the time!

Castor Oil is brilliant for the hair and eyebrows.

Boots won’t sell me anyway.

Holland and Barrett won’t sell me any.

Local chemist say they don’t think it suitable so won’t sell it.

Superdrug won’t sell me anyway.

Apparently they cannot sell to those who’re pregnant. And I’m very clearly about to drop.

AIBU to say this is a bit shitty towards pregnant customers?

I know it gets misused but so does a lot of things sold in chemists etc... And yet those are on shelves!

mousemoose Sun 29-Oct-17 10:13:48

What?

Amazon.

Why do you want it anyway? I use it on my skin.

Warhammerwidow89 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:14:55

Amazon?

Send in DH or a friend?

Ask to speak to the manager and raise a complaint.

gabsdot Sun 29-Oct-17 10:14:59

You could just get all shirty and offended and say that your not pregnant , just fat and how very dare they assume.

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 29-Oct-17 10:15:08

If you just want to use it on your hair, wouldn't almond oil be just as good?

BaronessBomburst Sun 29-Oct-17 10:15:25

Does that break descrimination laws?

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 29-Oct-17 10:22:02

If you're "about to drop", is it really a battle worth fighting right now?

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 29-Oct-17 10:27:19

Yanbu

It's not an age restricted product and it's not up to others to police your purchases.

There are very few products on sale as you say that can be miss used.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 29-Oct-17 10:27:42

Can't be mis used

BlueButTrue Sun 29-Oct-17 10:29:11

Have ordered it off of H&B website.

I’m not too worked up about being refused in the shops but it does strike me as off, and a bit mean, given all the other substances those in more vulnerable situations/positions can get hold of.

It’s like saying “Now now, pregnant lady. You cannot have this, it’s dangerous, don’t you know? *Tut Tut*”

SallyAnneMarie Sun 29-Oct-17 10:31:31

Yes of course that's ridiculous and no doubt discrimination. It's either a banned or controlled purchase or not.

Misspollyhadadollie Sun 29-Oct-17 10:31:48

I didn't know about the dangers and my sister recommended it when I was a young mum and over due. She made it sound like a miracle substance that would make the baby come. I'm glad I was refused!

expatinscotland Sun 29-Oct-17 10:39:31

YANBU.

AmethystRaven Sun 29-Oct-17 10:41:04

Boots wouldn't sell me some cannesten once when I said I was diabetic as thrush might have been a sign of poorly controlled blood sugar. I needed a Dr to do a prescription confused

I kind of see their point but I really really needed that cannesten! Couldn't they sell it and advise me to book an appointment? I just went to another pharmacy and didn't admit to the diabetes. It seemed a waste of an appointment (that I would struggle to get) and I was going to a diabetes clinic on a regular basis so the GP wouldn't have been interested anyway!

Aderyn17 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:47:07

Bloody outrageous to infantalise women like this.
Not sure what can be done though - I think all retailers have the legal right to refuse to sell anything to anyone, if they so choose.

justilou1 Sun 29-Oct-17 10:50:04

In the Netherlands they call it Wonder Oil. Didn't work for me - either on my eyebrows or getting the kids to come out and play.

BlueButTrue Sun 29-Oct-17 10:51:07

That’s exactly what I think it is - Making women out to be these hopeless, vulnerable things that cannot help/make the right decisions for themselves.

Very odd - More understandable if it was classified as a restricted product but it isn’t!

knottybeams Sun 29-Oct-17 10:52:54

Canesten is the one I came on to mention. I AM a GP and noticed a patch of ringworm on a finger at about 30 weeks in this pregnancy. Happy to admit this is what it's for, etc, as *the first line stuff isn't OK in pregnancy* but had to have the pharmacist come over in person and quiz me further in front of the whole queue before I could hand over the cash.

justintrudeaussocks Sun 29-Oct-17 10:54:53

Paternalistic bollocks. Women are too dim to make their own informed decisions. angry

InThisTogether Sun 29-Oct-17 10:55:14

Agreed OP. In my particular case not in need of castor oil but have been refused ranitidine and separately sudafed (actually was for dh) in my local chemist.
Once I've been informed of the risks, i find it infuriating that any shop feels they need to nanny me in this way, implying i am incapable of making decisions.

Piratesandpants Sun 29-Oct-17 10:57:00

YANBU when you could buy a bottle of vodka any time you fancy... talk about patronising.

BlueButTrue Sun 29-Oct-17 11:00:26

*Agreed OP. In my particular case not in need of castor oil but have been refused ranitidine and separately sudafed (actually was for dh) in my local chemist.
Once I've been informed of the risks, i find it infuriating that any shop feels they need to nanny me in this way, implying i am incapable of making decisions*

^See, I agree. I wouldn’t even mind being pointed out the risks of taking certain things if it was store policy. But to be refused a sale is just outrageous to me

Lovestonap Sun 29-Oct-17 11:02:30

When I was pg I suffered from obstetric cholestasis, one of the side effects was horrific itching. GP just recommended over the counter Piriton. Except the chemist wouldn't sell it to me because I was pregnant. I may have had a bit of a pregnant-hot-itchy-stress-induced meltdown in the chemist and insist they phoned my GP. They did and then sold it to me.

What If I had wanted it for my child?!

By all means have me sign a form saying I understand this is not recommended for pregnant people, but to refuse to sell it?

I was mad!

SpookghosttiAndMeatboos Sun 29-Oct-17 11:05:42

I wasn't allowed to buy olbas oil (the stuff you put a drip of on your hanky to help you breath when you're blocked up)... and most of the other stuff for colds wasn't suitable either. That was a fun time.. already uncomfortable and having trouble sleeping cos, you know, baby in uterus, and now you're saying I can't even try to clear my nose with a slightly strong smell.. Great.

Standingcat Sun 29-Oct-17 11:06:19

Pharmacy wouldn’t sell me mini aspirin when pregnant, it was actually prescribed for my pregnancy by a consultant but I didn’t have prescription on me. It felt a bit condescending tbh but try not to dwell on it, and everyone seems to have an opion on other people’s pregnancy and baby care!

Congratulations on pregnancy flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now