Talk

Advanced search

It ring 111

(12 Posts)
VioletBow Sun 29-Oct-17 01:14:16

I think my dd who is 3 and a half years old has norovirus. She was sleeping at dm’s tonight but she rang me at 11.20pm to say she had been sick and was saying her tummy hurt.
She is now home again with me and since being home has been sick another 12 tines and has had watery and very smelly/offensive bowl movements 7 times.

The nhs page for norovirus states

“Get medical advice if:
your baby or child has passed six or more watery stools in the past 24 hours, or has vomited three times or more in the past 24 hours”

I text her dad as she was at his last night and he has a baby to let him now then rang 111 as per nhs advice. I had a call back from an out of hours gp who wants to see her at our local out of hours at 3am so I text her dad to keep him updated and he has replied that I was stupid for ringing them and being over dramatic hmm

If I had not checked the nhs website I would not have rang 111 but surely I am not bu by filling their instructions and taking her into be seen?

VioletBow Sun 29-Oct-17 01:16:02

Sorry title should be “to ring 111” (bastard new acrylic nails 🙄)

ArseHair Sun 29-Oct-17 01:23:59

YANBU at all. Take her to be seen. Hope she gets better soon OP.

VioletBow Sun 29-Oct-17 01:44:19

Thank you, was slightly worried I was being a hypochondriac but I guess it’s always better to be safe than sorry x

CheshireChat Sun 29-Oct-17 03:54:18

That sounds like it needs checking out for dehydration if nothing else.

If it's any consolation, we took DS to out of hours at around 2 a.m. last Sunday as he has wheezing horribly.

The diagnosis- bloody croup! I thought he was having an asthma attack. The dr was just pleased he didn't have anything worse and was nothing but nice.

SmileInAWhile Sun 29-Oct-17 04:01:46

I hope you've been seen now and that everything is ok. You did the right thing, how can he say that you're being 'stupid' for following medical advice when your child is unwell, He's the idiot.

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 04:03:50

Children go down very very fast. Definitely not unreasonable to seek medical treatment. They can honestly become dehydrated within hours. You did the right thing. Hope little one is ok.

VioletBow Sun 29-Oct-17 04:05:49

She has been seen now, sent home with 4 boxes of dioralyte and told to bring her back midday if no improvement.

Her dad text to apologise as his baby is now vomiting too and we have discovered a child that had been there has also come down with it so deffo norovirus. Had to pass his house on our way home so dropped him off 2 of the boxes of dioralyte as already have some at home.

Fingers crossed us grown ups manage to avoid the bug.

Cheshire she has had croup and I took her up then as well, I have found with little ones they would rather see them and diagnose a bug, croup ect, my mentality is always better to be safe than sorry and that parents know their children and when they need to be seen x

VioletBow Sun 29-Oct-17 04:11:34

Last time she vomited this much was Christmas ‘14 when she was 9 months and ended up admitted into the children’s unit initially with possible meningitis that thankfully turned out to be a nasty case of viral tonsillitis and bacterial ear infection.

Now to inform everyone she has come in contact with as she had two birthday parties yesterday 🤦🏻‍♀️

hiddley Sun 29-Oct-17 04:18:46

How is baby?

Italiangreyhound Sun 29-Oct-17 04:37:38

VioletBow thank goodness she was not at her dad's if he thinks that much vomiting doesn't require some medical treatment!

Glad you called 111, you were not being dramatic, just sensible.

Hope she is OK.

PyongyangKipperbang Sun 29-Oct-17 04:44:25

When all is well, tell your ex that you will not bother telling him next time given his reaction this time. Funny how he was only apologetic when the child that lives with him got ill hmm

I wouldnt have dropped off the Diarolyte either

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now