Talk

Advanced search

Names

(51 Posts)
user1483390742 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:54:07

I have a 3 year old son called Zachary. My SIL has just had a baby boy and called him Zak. Same surname. I am LIVID! AIBU? angry

ButchyRestingFace Sat 28-Oct-17 22:55:23

YA BOO.

Mebbes she's like the name for a long time?

Santawontbelong Sat 28-Oct-17 22:56:15

She looks like the one with no imagination. ...
Lovely name!!

KadabrasSpoon Sat 28-Oct-17 22:59:04

Did you know you've copied 1483390741 people's user names though? Sorry couldn't resist!

Yeah that is a bit odd for cousins to have the same name.

overmydeadbody Sat 28-Oct-17 22:59:15

Strange thing to be livid about. Take it as a compliment.

It's a great name.

Ojoj1974 Sat 28-Oct-17 23:02:26

I would be furious!!! My SIL used the name I was going to use if I had a girl. I had a boys so didn’t use it but I was so incredibly hurt. At hat point we were going to have another child and I would loved to have used it if the baby was a girl.

PostcodeJack Sat 28-Oct-17 23:05:25

Not sure if YABU (although I probably understand your irritation)but two of my cousins have the same name (which is also my dad's name) and I never really thought it was odd (until I came on here!). I dont think it really bothers either of them either

LondonGirl83 Sat 28-Oct-17 23:10:03

One of my first cousins and I have the same first name. It's really not that unusual and your SIL may have liked the name for a long time or it could be a family name on her side of the family. Get over it!

emmyrose2000 Sat 28-Oct-17 23:11:49

YABU.
I know plenty of families where close relatives have the same or similar names, including surname.

I couldn't care less if someone had done the same to me. Eg. if my DH and I had named our son David and then his brother called his son Dave.

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Oct-17 23:11:54

YABU

ScarletSienna Sat 28-Oct-17 23:11:59

YABU it doesn’t lessen your son’s name or deprive you of something.

KurriKurri Sat 28-Oct-17 23:20:58

Why does it upset you so much ? It's not that big a deal - my cousin has the same name as my brother - Auntie asked my Mum if she minded, Mum said no of course not. If you really like a name, and you've always wanted to use it for your child, no reason you should have to give it up because a family member has got in first.

Do you intend to call your son Zak for short? - If not, even less of a problem - different name.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Sat 28-Oct-17 23:21:18

Sorry OP, YAB a bit U. No one owns a name. Maybe they ‘had’ it set in stone before your Zachary was even born and she was annoyed when you used it?

I get why the first reaction would be anger though. I worry you might get a pasting on here so gird your loins!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sun 29-Oct-17 00:03:27

Your ds is Zachary and her ds is Zac, so Its still in everyday use (at least) a different name.
I've got my little boys name picked out and even if my ds has another boy and uses it, which I doubt as it's not her style. I'd still use it. Perhaps your sil is the same.

manicinsomniac Sun 29-Oct-17 00:49:32

I've got two first cousins with the same first name but a) one is more than 10 years older than the other b) my aunt asked her sister first and c) the related parents are the mother's so the 2 boys have different surnames.

In your shoes I would be a bit annoyed. There are so many names out there! I think livid is a bit OTT though.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 29-Oct-17 01:02:27

I know nobody owns a name blah blah blah as per the MN party line and it was also historically normal for the same name to be used many times within the same family. However it isn’t now normal to do so and I think it is quite odd of your SIL.

I’d be irritated by it.

LolaTheDarkerdestroyer Sun 29-Oct-17 01:10:05

It’s weird. I’d have to say something I was pissed off when my dB uses my dds middle name for his dd born 3 weeks apart! He had known since day one I was using it, it wasn’t major but strange.

Grilledaubergines Sun 29-Oct-17 01:15:39

I think it’s a bit odd. It’s essentially the same name. But your son can be Zachary or zac. She doesn’t have that option.

NameChangeFamousFolk Sun 29-Oct-17 01:23:43

It wouldn't bother me a huge amount in all honesty. It could be her lifelong favourite name, who knows? Either way, no, I wouldn't get particularly het up about it.

PodgeBod Sun 29-Oct-17 07:23:12

Yeah it's pretty much the same name. I think you or your DP should ask why they are giving their baby your child's name and report back here

GetAwayFromHer Sun 29-Oct-17 07:28:58

Presumably the father had some say in it?

They're the ones who look a bit odd for making that choice

strawberrypenguin Sun 29-Oct-17 07:32:14

You’ll get loads of people telling you that you don’t own a name but YANBU. There are loads of lovely names to pick from, she could easily have chosen another. I’d be pissed off too

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 29-Oct-17 07:33:25

Yanbu

There are millions of other names she could have used. I'd be upset.

rosy71 Sun 29-Oct-17 07:39:38

I understand how that would be annoying but it's not that big a deal. My cousin's son has the same name as ds1 & another cousin's grandson has the same name as ds2 & they are at the same school. My sister & a cousin almost have the same first name (think Eve/Eva).

FenceSitter01 Sun 29-Oct-17 07:43:08

The trouble with similar/same names is that there is a distinction and usually it is a physical characteristic big/Zak little Zak, fat Zak, ginger Zak etc, or ownership conveyed: Marys Zak, Johns Zak.

Presumably this is your DHs brothers wife? So why is no ire being targeted at him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now