Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The cow in La Haine

(8 Posts)
RangeTesKopeks Sat 28-Oct-17 22:26:57

Sorry - this is definitely the most random AIBU ever!!

I've watched the French film La Haine a few times now. I originally watched it when I studied it for A Level French and then watched it more recently.

Anyway, there's a bit in it where Vinz, one of the characters, talks about a cow and mentions it ('la vache') a couple of times. I've never worked out why. Is he hallucinating?

Thanks everyone smile

bettys Sat 28-Oct-17 22:32:41

Haven't seen the film.....but isn't 'la vache' slang like saying 'oh bloody hell' or something?

Floellabumbags Sat 28-Oct-17 22:33:53

Yup, it's slang.

Deschain Sat 28-Oct-17 22:35:49

Can't answer you question OP,I was too busy drooling over Vincent Cassell to monitor cow symbolism, but did you know they're doing a sequel?
www.theguardian.com/film/2015/may/03/la-haine-film-sequel-20-years-on-france

ZooeyAndFranny Sat 28-Oct-17 22:36:14

“oh la vache” means “bloody hell” and it regularly gets shortened to “la vache”

So it is probably just an expletive

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 28-Oct-17 22:36:52

Just asked my daughter for you - she studied French film for her degree and spent a lot of time on that film!

MyBrilliantDisguise Sat 28-Oct-17 22:37:26

OK can see others got there before me!

RangeTesKopeks Sat 28-Oct-17 22:53:42

Thanks everyone smile yes I've heard about 'la vache' as a swear word. I just wondered if it might be something different, as I'm sure there's one bit where Vinz actually talks about a cow rather than saying 'oh la vache'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now