Talk

Advanced search

WWYD swimming with kids

(25 Posts)
inpainandgrumpy Sat 28-Oct-17 22:26:12

When did you first allow your kids to go swimming in a public pool without getting in too? I don’t mean dropping them off and leaving, I mean more like staying by the side but not actually in swimwear joining in? There’s lifeguards there and obviously I’d jump in fully dressed if the situation required it, but what’s reasonable? I know pools often say a number of kids per adult supervision ratio but does that mean actually in the pool? Do they also say what age they can go without an adult? Interested to hear your experiences/thoughts!

Mum2jenny Sat 28-Oct-17 22:28:42

I always went in with them, but I like swimming. I'd go in now even though they don't need or want me to.

sailorcherries Sat 28-Oct-17 22:30:01

Mine won't allow a child in without a parent under the age of 8, unless it is swimming lessons.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:30:17

Not allowed to do it until 8 here. DD will be fine by then though. I let her swim unaccompanied age 6 at a caravan park (I was right there) and constantly on holiday age 7. She’s a strong swimmer.

BestZebbie Sat 28-Oct-17 22:30:42

Most pools I've used say no under 8s without an adult. Obviously at taught swimming lessons they go in without a parent but with an instructor in the water younger than that.

Orangealien Sat 28-Oct-17 22:30:54

More height and Ability than age. Our pool is Same depth all along - no deep end. So once they could stand with entire head out of water and swim ok. I did it from about 7yo but tall kid

BarbarianMum Sat 28-Oct-17 22:30:55

Age 8.

xyzandabc Sat 28-Oct-17 22:31:02

Most pools say age 8. All the ones I can remember usually say 8.

dementedpixie Sat 28-Oct-17 22:31:06

At our pools it's 8 before they can swim by themselves. Before that you need to be in with them

bonfireheart Sat 28-Oct-17 22:31:20

Age 6. I sat poolside and kept eye on DD. My nephews who are teenagers would be in pool with her.

Scholes34 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:31:27

Aged 8. I still remember DS1's 10th birthday when all three of mine went swimming without me or DH. They were 12, 10 and 7 years and 50 weeks. That cup of coffee with the papers as we sat by the side of the pool was bliss.

DJBaggySmalls Sat 28-Oct-17 22:32:07

Not until they could swim a length, and I felt they could get themselves out of minor difficulties.

inpainandgrumpy Sat 28-Oct-17 22:33:28

Thanks! Mine are 6 and 8 and both fairly confident swimmers. They’d like to go more often but whilst I enjoy swimming I have poor eyesight (prescription goggles ruled out as none available for my astigmatism/long sightedness) and I find long wet hair/washing it in grim pool showers a faff so I’m put off. It’d be nice to take them but let them get on with it while I waited poolside with a coffee

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 28-Oct-17 22:33:57

Minimum 8 here too. I would also want them to be able to swim a length or two unaided.

dementedpixie Sat 28-Oct-17 22:35:25

Can you not get goggles with an approximate prescription so that your sight is slightly improved?

inpainandgrumpy Sat 28-Oct-17 22:38:22

Pixie I’m really sensitive to even slight changes (get blinding headaches even trying to switch between different pairs of glasses with the same prescription!) and I did try that but sadly it was awful. So annoying!

Yes 6yo was very happy in the pool with older brother and us poolside on holiday but somehow it never occurred to me til now to consider it for at home! Looks like I’ll have to wait another 18m if it’s age 8 then.

Thanks all! smile

Angrybird123 Sat 28-Oct-17 22:38:29

It's usually 8. Mine are the same age and situation as you're. I swim well but occasionally don't fancy the wet hair etc. It's a bit of a waste of money but you can just change and sit on the side with your legs in the water. Mine usually drag me in in the end but it's an option.

inpainandgrumpy Sat 28-Oct-17 22:40:06

Good idea angry bird! I like it! Might be a good halfway house too, to get them used to it smile

slimyslitheryslug Sat 28-Oct-17 22:51:16

As others have said, swimming ability is more important than age & how sensible your child is will also be a factor.
DD is 7 & a good swimmer. On holiday, if the pool is quiet, I sit on the side watching her. If the pool is busy, I will be in the pool as the biggest risk to her is someone else doing something that she can't cope with, e.g. someone jumping in right next to her or swimming into her. She just isn't aware enough of her surroundings to be trusted. I am always in with her in our local pool as it is always busy.

wheresthel1ght Sat 28-Oct-17 22:55:42

I agree sitting on side is an idea, or can you not get some cheap normal glasses so you cam swim without putting your head in the water? I have to do this as I cannot focus fast enough to see easily and can't cope wire goggles.

As for hair, swimming hat might be an option?

madeyemoodysmum Sat 28-Oct-17 23:02:31

About 8 and a reasonable swimmer

Herschellmum Sun 29-Oct-17 10:12:28

Yep, sorry it’s 8 as a general rule. Some pools offer different options though so look what is local and maybe call that pool especially if it’s a pool you use regularly, some have discretions. I have seen some allow it us you provide a swimming certificate.

I had 4 within 4 years so I have looked at various options to allow us to swim, different pools and different rules. Some have certain sessions where there are more life guards on so can have high ratio of kids, possibly applies to ages unsupervised too.

2014newme Sun 29-Oct-17 10:13:41

Mine are 20 and excellent swimmers I still go in its a lot more fun than sitting on the side

Herschellmum Sun 29-Oct-17 10:14:35

Also try things like hotel pools. Pools that don’t have life guards often have less rules. But then that may not be the most sensible of no one is in the pool with them, because there is always a risk with water.

DancingLedge Sun 29-Oct-17 10:21:03

Depends on
DCs swimming ability, and whether they panic if submerged.
Crucially, how crowded/quiet the pool is
Whether there's floats in the water that could obstruct view
How attentive the lifeguards are - in one pool, they seemed lacklustre. I watched when they looked away, and counted how long it was before they looked in our direction again. 2 mins. So not ok.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: