Talk

Advanced search

To think that Next will give me a refund?

(59 Posts)
Flossyfloof Sat 28-Oct-17 18:40:38

Bought a few bits in a Next outlet centre last week. I only want to keep one item and return three. I can't find the receipt - not thrown it away but cannot find it anywhere. I paid by card so I have a record of the purchase. If I take everything back along with the skirt I want to keep will they refund, do you think? Or credit note? I don't mind either, I just don't want to be stuck with a load of stuff I don't want!

MongerTruffle Sat 28-Oct-17 18:42:28

A bank statement is not proof of purchase; you could have just bought something for the same price. I recall speaking to Next CS and they said that refunds are at the store's discretion (unless the items are not fit for purpose in which case they have to refund you).

silverbell64 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:42:42

I'd take the print out of your record of purchase, then I don't see why not.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:43:46

I don't work at Next, but in my previous three retail jobs we wouldn't refund without a receipt (and a credit card receipt did not count).

We would offer an exchange, but that's the best we'd be able to do.

Sirzy Sat 28-Oct-17 18:44:45

Do the items still have the labels on?

silverbell64 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:45:16

Surely they could check their own records? I can't really see a large organisation like Next not doing this.

Poppyfields21 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:46:18

You might be lucky, I think Next has fancy RFID tags within the actual individual item labels so they may not need a receipt

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:47:01

silverbell64 None of the places I've worked were able to do this, and they were big companies.

Bubblebubblepop Sat 28-Oct-17 18:48:09

Next outlets are quite shitty- they're almost market stall like and theyre customer service is SHIT. I wouldn't expect a thing

SierraFerrara Sat 28-Oct-17 18:48:14

A bank statement IS proof of purchase.
NEXT policy is that they will refund if you change your mind with proof of purchase isn't it? In which case a bank statement will do.

Bubblebubblepop Sat 28-Oct-17 18:48:52

I am not sure the choice outlets are even connected to the main next in terms of systems etc. It's just a bucket shop.

Bubblebubblepop Sat 28-Oct-17 18:49:23

Sorry I missed my main point- mine have signs all over saying no refunds without receipt

silverbell64 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:49:30

I'd can't see why they wouldn't if the tags are still in them and the customer has her bank statement.

SierraFerrara Sat 28-Oct-17 18:50:09

I've taken stuff from a NEXT outlet back to a normal store with no issue (had my receipt).
I don't shop in NEXT particularly though so no idea if that's normal.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:50:18

*A bank statement IS proof of purchase.
NEXT policy is that they will refund if you change your mind with proof of purchase isn't it? In which case a bank statement will do.*

Depends on how the company defines "proof of purchase". At my previous jobs, bank statements and credit card receipts were explicitly stated to not be proof of purchase.

Alb1 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:50:27

Every email single item is individually coded at next so it shouldn't be a problem without a receipt, I used to work for Next and they refunded absolutely everything as long as it hadn't been worn (unless faulty obviously)

DuchessofStBridget Sat 28-Oct-17 18:50:31

Conversely, I work in retail (large company) and management have to look up and print out old transaction receipts when the need arises. However, I'm not sure how far

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:51:05

silverbell64 Because they may not doubt the bank statement as proof of purchase.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:51:31

*count not doubt confused

DuchessofStBridget Sat 28-Oct-17 18:51:45

Pressed enter too soon! I'm not sure how far back records go, and anyway, I don't work for Next. Best to ring up the store and ask.

silverbell64 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:51:53

OP go on line and check out the latest government guidelines for consumers (that's what I'd do) Shops tend to put up notices that aren't actually legal all the time.

Flossyfloof Sat 28-Oct-17 18:53:44

Thanks very much. Everything still has the tags on, except for the skirt I am keeping which might have, I haven't checked.
I was really keen on one of the tops and swapped the 14 I had for a 12 in the shop. Turns out it was on the wrong hanger - it's a size 20 😢.
Total spend was 61 so if everything adds up to that ( I don't see why it shouldn't) I am hoping it will be ok. Would be even better if I could find the receipt though, I realize that!

SierraFerrara Sat 28-Oct-17 18:55:37

A proof of purchase is not just a receipt. A bank statement is a perfectly legal proof of purchase under consumer rights.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue.

MongerTruffle Sat 28-Oct-17 18:55:59

A bank statement is not proof of purchase. If I pay £50 at a supermarket and want to return something that only cost £12, the supermarket has no way of knowing that I actually purchased the item from them without a receipt.

WhatToDoAboutThis2017 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:56:28

MongerTruffle has it spot on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now