Talk

Advanced search

To not move my car for a day!

(19 Posts)
alittlepieceofme Sat 28-Oct-17 18:38:37

Had a totally shit day, partner left 2 months ago, I started the day feeling quite upbeat and was going to take my ds shopping. Got to my car, which was parked further down the road as the street had been busy when I got home on Thursday and this woman came out of her house asking if her neighbour had spoken to me?! She was very aggressive in her manner and I didn't know what was going on! I said no and she said that I had upset her neighbour because she was having a skip delivered and I had left my car outside her house for a couple of days! 1. It has been there since 4 o'clock on Thursday and I was moving it at 11 o'clock this morning.
2. If the neighbour had asked me to move my car I would have, unfortunately I don't think she knew which house I was in.
3. It's parked in a street, technically I can park where I like!
4. It wasn't directly outside her house, it was between the two houses! There was a car outside her house which I assume was hers.

This woman and I had words, the neighbour came out and I apologised, I said if I had realised she was having a skip delivered I wouldn't have parked there! The other woman wouldn't leave it and kept going on! I was in tears by this point, she said in future I'd better not park by them because I don't know what might happen to my car!

Am I being unreasonable to think this was totally blown out of proportion?! My day was totally ruined, didn't go shopping, took ds for a drive so he could nap.

Sorry for the long post!

Santawontbelong Sat 28-Oct-17 18:43:09

Ring your local council for their anti social neighbour number. And report her for intimidation. My neighbour told me off for parking outside her window and blocking her light!! Stated even she didn't park there!! Blocks her ndn's window instead!! My car been scratched and tyres let down while parked there. Find a friend with a big massive van and ask him to park there!!

Sandsunsea Sat 28-Oct-17 18:43:40

Yanbu. The interfering neighbour is. She has basically threatened you too, you could report her.

alittlepieceofme Sat 28-Oct-17 18:47:21

I phoned 101 to log it! Just in case something does happen to my car! She was totally over the top and the neighbour who's house it was seemed very calm!

MickeyLuv Sat 28-Oct-17 19:04:17

Its tough shit (for the woman, not you). I also have to park on street and my car gets parked on Friday when i come gone from work and doesn't usually move again until Monday morning. Sometimes it's outside my own house, sometimes it isn't.

When i have a week off, its parked and doesn't move for 9 days! (DP drives everywhere)

alittlepieceofme Sat 28-Oct-17 19:12:56

I'm glad everyone seems to be backing me! Thank you! If I can park in front of my house then I do, if I can't then I don't! Same as everyone else! If people want to park outside their home then surely they should buy a house with a drive or their own parking space!

MiaowTheCat Sat 28-Oct-17 19:33:52

Just be careful. Our local resident bonkers lady who not only doesn't want to use her drive but wants the entire road space along the side of her house left for her has not only taken to ranting at people but following them home to make sure she knows where they live and can intimidate them more and any cars left there have mysteriously been damaged.

We've had fuck all success getting anything done about her - privately owned housing so no one cares enough to act.

Notthemessiah Sat 28-Oct-17 19:42:57

If I found my car had been damaged outside their house then they would find a brick through their window at 3am. People really need to learn that the road outside their house doesn’t belong to them - if they want parking, buy a house with a drive.

PhilODox Sat 28-Oct-17 19:46:49

Were you parked in her garden, you unreasonable person?

Nah, she can do one, silly person, it's not her street.

Notthemessiah Sat 28-Oct-17 20:10:32

Ok, maybe not a brick, but this kind of attitude really winds me up. What’s bizarre here is that it isn’t even the neighbour whose house you parked in front of who is going off on one. Sounds like the actual neighbour was a bit bemused by it all as well. Amazing how unpleasant some people can be.

Floralnomad Sat 28-Oct-17 20:12:43

I'd also ring the council and check she has all the relevant permission for her skip , you cannot just dump them in the street .

Sirzy Sat 28-Oct-17 20:14:30

If she wanted a skip leaving in the road don’t you need permission from the council anyway?

TroubledTribble28 Sat 28-Oct-17 20:18:32

Flora that would get the not over reacting neighbour in bother not the nasty nosey Nora neighbour though?
Pour cat piss through the nasty neighbours letterbox op and don't let the fucker make you cry again. flowers

alittlepieceofme Sat 28-Oct-17 20:20:14

I do have two cats so that is possible! wink

donquixotedelamancha Sat 28-Oct-17 20:23:21

"Am I being unreasonable to think this was totally blown out of proportion?!"

It wasn't blown out of proportion, it was made up from nothing. You were legally parked on a public street. Your only unreasonableness is in apologising, but it's kind of an autonomic response isn't it?

I would park there every day, waving and smiling at her as I walked off. But you don't want to live life the way I do- let it go.

TheHuffAndPuffALot Sat 28-Oct-17 20:26:02

The skip company would have had to apply for a skip licence if it was to be placed on the road. Cones could have been put out to prevent anyone parking before it was delivered

Floralnomad Sat 28-Oct-17 20:28:26

Immaterial really and it doesn't sound like she told her neighbour to mind her own business , it sounds like she accepted the apology , which was unnecessary and then let her neighbour carry on abusing the OP .

notacooldad Sat 28-Oct-17 20:43:48

You are, of course in the right.

This tale reminds me of my brothers friend who was in a similar situation. He lived in a street that was old terraced houses on both sides and it was a case of park where you can. He got nasty abuse from an old man who used to put cones out to 'save his space'. The man threatened all sorts would happen the the car
Brothers mate had an old van that he was going to put in for scrap but had an idea. He kept it road worthy but parked it right outside old fellas house. Funny enough things happened to the van but mate had a motion record cam that starts recording if the vehicle is touched. Natually the old guy denied any wrong doing but their was plenty of evidence to confront him and threaten to go to the police about him. Other neighbours were thankful because the guy was a bloody menace!

ilovesooty Sat 28-Oct-17 21:25:11

It wasn't even her skip and she was utterly obnoxious but I don't think it's reasonable to say that if people want their own space they should buy a house with a drive - not everyone can. However normally you accept that you take pot luck on parking.
I live in a street like this and have a skip at the moment for which I paid the permit charge. I spent quite some time researching when I'd have to move my car into its designated permit space. If I've paid a permit charge I do think I should have been able to ask people to move their vehicle if it meant the skip couldn't be delivered.
However as I said I think in your case the woman's behaviour was disgraceful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now