Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To have used the same washing up bowl for 6 years?

(14 Posts)
Babababababybel23 Sat 28-Oct-17 16:42:49

Is there any point in replacing if it is not broke? DH thinks we need a new one hmm

mayhew Sat 28-Oct-17 16:44:22

I've had mine 15 years!
Seriously, think about plastic waste.

scrabble1 Sat 28-Oct-17 16:45:43

MIL has had theirs 30, plus years. It is disgusting. Please don't end up the same!

LakieLady Sat 28-Oct-17 16:50:37

YANBU.

At the time of my mother's death in 2010, she was still using the washing up bowl that had been part of a gift set she was given as a wedding present in 1954!

It wasn't disgusting at all. In fact, it was made of very groovy heavy-duty plastic that was sort of marbled and had slightly translucent streaks. It was so sturdy, that she used to stand on it if she couldn't quite reach a shelf or something.

Bloody wish I'd kept it now.

Babababababybel23 Sat 28-Oct-17 16:52:11

I don't understand why it's disgusting??
You can just clean and disinfect it

purpleleotard Sat 28-Oct-17 16:53:16

Washing up bowls are just minging. A year long party for bacteria. Especially when left with a cold brown soup of dirty washing water.

Why have a bowl in a bowl?

AccrualIntentions Sat 28-Oct-17 17:00:19

I've only replaced two in my adult life - one when I moved to a new house and treated myself to a new one grin and the other when it got a split in the bottom.

amicissimma Sat 28-Oct-17 17:05:37

If you keep it clean, why not?

If you don't keep a washing up bowl clean why would you keep the sink, with its fiddly plug hole, cleaner?

BriechonCheese Sat 28-Oct-17 17:16:02

I just pour boiling water and vinegar in mine once a week. We've had it for about 15 years. Admittedly we rarely do a full wash up but we do wash the odd non-dishwasher friendly item in it.

Babababababybel23 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:17:46

Do the people who don't own one because they are full of bacteria get a new kitchen sink every week? I don't get it

fucksakefay Sat 28-Oct-17 17:21:19

What's the bottom of it like? The one at work is a disgusting layer of mould as it's never stood on its side to dry properly

millifiori Sat 28-Oct-17 17:23:41

How are they minging? I bleach mine once a week, and rinse it out with hot water and washing up liquid every day. If someone leaves scummy brown water in it, they'll do the same in a sink without a bowl.

Babababababybel23 Sat 28-Oct-17 17:26:36

The bottom of it is fine I give it a quick wipe after I use it and then disinfect it properly every week

SoMuchToBits Sat 28-Oct-17 17:28:17

I've had mine for 22 years. I rinse it out with hot water after every use, and give it a proper clean every week. It's not minging at all!

There's definitely no need to replace a 6 year old one unless it has split or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now