Talk

Advanced search

To encourage DH to quit a permanent job for a 3 month job?

(34 Posts)
moutonfou Sat 28-Oct-17 15:33:33

Context: DH isn't working in the field he qualified for. He qualified for a registered profession; he's working in a related field but not in that specific profession. There isn't really a lot of scope to progress but it's permanent and wage gets topped up with quite generous expenses.

DH has been offered a role in the profession he trained for, in the NHS, for 3 months. Wage is the same but he wouldn't do as much driving so would lose his expenses. When they offered the role, they said it was likely there'd be further work (but no guarantee).

I've encouraged him to go for it - it's a leap of faith but if it pays off he will be in a much stronger position both career-wise and in terms of having a good employer.

I have supported us before while DH was unemployed and it was hard but we just about broke even each month.

DH is scared of being unemployed again and now that's got me worrying. But presumably three months experience in the profession would serve him well in getting further work in the profession, should that happen?

Has anyone had any similar experience - particularly of shorter NHS contracts, but any experiences would be welcomed? Was I too hasty in encouraging him so strongly, or should we just do it?

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 28-Oct-17 15:48:18

Clear what you want, what does he want? Short term contracts can become longer or ongoing if they get funding
Options
He remain in post he not qualified for, no progression but stability
He take 3mth contract get experience and contacts
If the 3mth contract isn’t extended what are your financial commitments, can you manage until he got new job.?
If the 3mth contract became a ft post he’d have to competitively interview against other candidates. But the employer could decide whether to go for internal or external advert

Florence16 Sat 28-Oct-17 16:34:57

Depends what the role is. I wouldn’t bank on it being extended. Posts get scrutinised a lot more before being advertised in most parts of the NHS at the moment and if it’s short term it sounds like a pilot or mat cover or similar. Plenty of our fixed term posts don’t lead to other work and the post holder goes elsewhere after.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 28-Oct-17 16:38:21

I agree,it all depends whether post is extended or not. And if it goes ft it’ll be advertised to other applicants

PurplePillowCase Sat 28-Oct-17 16:39:11

can he take a sabbatical from his regular job?
if it’s permitted to be in gainful employment during it?

museumum Sat 28-Oct-17 16:44:39

If you can survive as a family then I would take the risk. Otherwise he’ll get stuck where he is forever.

Aquamarine1029 Sat 28-Oct-17 16:46:19

Personally, I would want him to stay put until he finds a permanent position in his field. After some experiences I've had, financial security is far more important than working in your exact field.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 28-Oct-17 16:46:37

Does he need to practice to maintain skills and registration ?

moutonfou Sat 28-Oct-17 18:27:53

Yes he qualified 18 months ago and hasn't yet practiced, so he really needs to soon or it becomes increasingly unlikely someone takes a chance on him. Additionally it's a field that graduates really struggle to get a foot into as lots of jobs ask for post-qualifying experience, so I wouldn't expect other offers to flood in. It's not a shortage area; if anything there's a shortage of jobs.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 28-Oct-17 18:36:37

In that case,take the 3 month post
It’s not podiatry is it? Lady I know trained as mature student she’s struggled to get nhs work

Lily2007 Sat 28-Oct-17 18:39:45

If you can afford a period of him not working again I would go for it.

gamerwidow Sat 28-Oct-17 18:50:16

Is his current job in the NHS? If so is there any chance the new job could be done as a 3 month secondment?
That way he still has his old job to go back to. It’s impossible to tell if the fixed contract will get extended. I had a 1 year FTC which was extended to 3 years but not all FTC get extended.

confusedlittleone Sun 29-Oct-17 06:50:38

Have you got dc? If so he'd be a bloody idiot to throw away a full time contract for a temp one

PurpleStar123 Sun 29-Oct-17 06:56:13

A secondment or sabbatical could work if his current employer is understanding.

moutonfou Sun 29-Oct-17 07:54:24

I don't think current employer would offer that but it's worth checking I suppose (he hasn't given notice in yet as the NHS checks are ongoing).

His current employer isn't the NHS or even a big organisation likely to have that kind of policy though. It's just a small local business. Which is part of the appeal because if he can make it work in the NHS or similar he'll get much better benefits. Currently gets 1% pension for example.

We don't have DC.

turbohamster Sun 29-Oct-17 08:01:07

I'd expect any contract that was only 3 months to be much better paid than a permanent post.

HipToBeSquare Sun 29-Oct-17 08:04:20

I was going to say no from your OP but further updates make me say yes encourage him!

FlouncyDoves Sun 29-Oct-17 08:19:35

As you have no dependents and could get bybin your salary alone, plus the fact that his benefits are poor in the current role, I’d go for it.

Vonklump Sun 29-Oct-17 08:22:21

If the permanent work doesn't materialize is he likely to be able to get any other work?

If so, yes. Go for it.

moutonfou Sun 29-Oct-17 08:26:12

I think he'd be in a stronger position to get further work (than currently) as he'd have this post qualifying experience - there's a big agency market too which he's been rejected from so far as he has no experience.

It's scary but I think we will do it as he hates current job anyway so it's worth a try. We are lucky to still be renting and childless - we can save the practical decisions for later in life when we have DC/mortgage!

RebelRogue Sun 29-Oct-17 09:22:11

Since he hates his current job then I guess he could go for it.

LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 29-Oct-17 12:17:22

Lol, No a 3 month contract won’t be paid at an enhanced rate,the usual nhs banding would apply.

Scaredparent Sun 29-Oct-17 12:18:38

Life is to short, if you are financially secure do it

Jasminedes Sun 29-Oct-17 12:22:21

If he wants to practice the profession then I think he has to take it, and work his socks off to prove his worth and make connections.

hiyasminitsme Sun 29-Oct-17 12:22:44

What is the role? Makes a huge difference as to the likelihood of it getting extended

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now