Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect a fitted carpet to still be in place after 18 months?

(19 Posts)
Sarahjconnor Sat 28-Oct-17 15:17:10

We moved in May 2016 and had the entire house carpeted. It was expensive £3800 and we went for quality wool carpets that were supposed to last us 10+ years. We've had previous homes re carpeted so knew what to expect. We paid an additional fee to have our furniture moved as part of the job. The fitters were awful. Like Steptoe and Son. They were a foul tempered old man and his 'chip on his shoulder' son. Repeated comments about 'women lazing around all day' among much sexism and demanding DS and DD do endless lifting jobs and run and get their kit created a horrible atmosphere.

3 weeks afterwards the carpet on the stairs all came up and was dangerous. I phoned and the owner was extremely annoyed. He said it was correctly and properly fitted but would look. He came round and refitted it on the stairs. 6 months later 2 doorways and 3 corners were loose. I called again. He ranted and raged down the phone and told me he'd sacked one of the original fitters but would send the other one back. He refitted it and agreed that the job had been 'very poor' - blaming it on the other fitter. The stairs came up again 3 months later and after another earful, the fitter returned and refitted. I was told at this point - we've done all we can - don't contact us again.

Now the carpets is loose on the stairs again and I am sick of the situation. The whole carpet looks awful - stretched and baggy and it is so annoying when it was so expensive. I will have to save for a long time to replace and the stairs are currently dangerous. sad

AIU to expect that after 18 months the carpet should look good and still be fitted? AIU to expect a partial refund if they will not resolve? AIU to ask how I am best to approach the shop to ask for this as they have been very clear that they do not think this is their problem.

Advice much appreciated.Thank you

Ishoos Sat 28-Oct-17 15:44:31

Does the carpet shop have any signs up with membership of any trade organisations? If so could you contact them or trading standards?

MissWilmottsGhost Sat 28-Oct-17 15:52:30

Fucking hell that sounds awful. I would be livid. A fitted carpet should stay put until its taken up years later. A stair carpet coming loose is a safety hazard.

Have you thought about contacting trading standards?

Get them back to sort it out. If they haven't done it properly and the carpet is knackered because of it then they should refit a new carpet.

OhBondageUpYours Sat 28-Oct-17 15:53:32

Surely the carpet is not wasted? It sounds like it just needs pulling up and refitting properly.

Get other carpet fitters round, get some quotes, get it fixed then claim back costs from original shop via small claims.

Telstar99 Sat 28-Oct-17 15:55:44

No of course YANBU. That's poor. We have had our current carpets down for 7 years and they are still solid. They cost less than half yours too!

Have you got the original paperwork? Was there any guarantee?

Telstar99 Sat 28-Oct-17 15:56:28

Agree with the person that suggested Trading Standards.

MissWilmottsGhost Sat 28-Oct-17 15:57:31

Of course it is their problem. Unless you hired the fitters rather than using their ones. If it is their own fitters or ones they contract to do the job then they are responsible. Do not accept a partial refund, if the carpet has been fucked up by incompetent fitters you should expect a replacement.

BackforGood Sat 28-Oct-17 15:58:41

It should last 40 years, not just 18months!
I would check with the trade associations as suggested above, and I would then tell the owner he had 2 weeks to put it right or you will take him to the small claims court / trading standards / whoever else you can think of.
You'll need to pay a decent fitter to put it right but then claim that back from the original shop.

Tretchikoff Sat 28-Oct-17 16:01:35

Fitters have breached contract terms under Consumer Rights Act 2015.
Send Recorded Delivery letter pointing out the faults. You are entitled to a reasonable service at a reasonable cost and for it to last a reasonable time.
You have the right to claim refund (partial perhaps) or for the work to be re-done if you prefer.
I’m in Scotland though so check that which act is English equivalent.

Sarahjconnor Sat 28-Oct-17 16:23:01

thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

So letter, then Trading Standards under CRA 2015 is the consensus. Thanks I'm normally confident but I have had so many problems and he's making out that it's me who's the problem. angry

Sarahjconnor Sat 28-Oct-17 16:24:06

We used their fitters and it was implied we were having a team of experienced fitters not the shoddy twosome that arrived.

bigbluebus Sat 28-Oct-17 16:59:33

I'm guessing the shop are getting annoyed as their fitters are probably sub contracted (rather than employed) so have to be paid each time they come out and try and fix your shoddy carpet. However, that is not your problem and they should have made sure they used people who could get the job right in the 1st place. I would ring Trading Standards at the LA for advice on the matter.

FWIW, our stair carpet has been down for 12 years and is still firmly in place. Ditto the other carpets in the house.

MaisyPops Sat 28-Oct-17 17:01:58

Speak to the busineas again who you bought it from and give them one last chance to replace carpet and get it fitted by reputable fitters.
Then go to trading standards.

Sarahjconnor Sat 28-Oct-17 17:25:42

Thanks - I'm drafting a letter!

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 28-Oct-17 17:32:11

At least you went with their fitters. Did you pay the shop for their services?

If they don't respond to your letter I'd get a better carpet fitter in to quote for cost of remedy (hopefully just refitting unless they've cut it too small). Then sue for the cost.

eurochick Sat 28-Oct-17 17:37:34

It sounds like the carpet hasn't been properly stretched when it was fitted so as it has naturally stretched over time it has come off the grippers. It sounds like a restretch should fix it but get it done sooner rather than later as walking on it while it is loose and bumpy will make it look crap. I'd be inclined to pay for a fitter of your choice to sort it asap and argue about it later cos if you lose the fight a restretch will cost you a lot less than replacing the carpets. You shouldn't have to pay out but you could be mired in the argument for long enough for the carpet to be ruined iyswim.

(I used to work in the family carpet business)

Sarahjconnor Sat 28-Oct-17 20:36:25

thanks for your advice smile

I've sent my letter as an email and I've printed it to send recorded delivery tomorrow. I bet he ignores it sad

Sarahjconnor Sat 28-Oct-17 20:36:47

How can I find a decent carpet fitter? Ask around?

eurochick Sat 28-Oct-17 22:08:58

Yes, ask around for local recommendations. Maybe on a Facebook group if you have one for your area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now