Talk

Advanced search

electoral register

(18 Posts)
reggieFF Sat 28-Oct-17 14:32:35

AIBU to find it odd that people com knocking on my door to ask if I want to stay on the ER? Why do they do that? The woman was super bossy and not at all polite just barking at me if I want to stay on the register. confused

Is is normal where you live?

wowfudge Sat 28-Oct-17 14:33:54

It is protecting your democratic rights. Although we get a firm through the post rather than a person on the doorstep.

reggieFF Sat 28-Oct-17 14:35:07

She didn't even introduce herself and asked me to sign a form which she didn't explain anything about and I did! I am normally so careful but was in the middle of changing the baby so just signed it. Hope it's genuine and not a scam.

MrTrebus Sat 28-Oct-17 14:35:44

We had this a couple of days ago! She was really rude. Are you in Hampshire? She started the conversation "you didn't fill in and return your form" I said "I've only lived here for a week I don't know what you're talking about" no apology just a big sigh and "I guess we could do it now then" hmm I know voting is very important etc etc but no need to be rude!

Playmobilpeacock Sat 28-Oct-17 14:35:47

I spoke to the council about this recently and they told me it is now the law to register every year.

I think this is absolutely unnecessary and a way of putting barriers to voting. The woman I spoke to agreed and said what a huge financial drain it was too.

That being said, I'm glad of the door knocked as I forget to register.

TinDogTavern Sat 28-Oct-17 14:36:19

Ex-electoral registration officer here. This is called a "personal canvass" whereby the council knock doors at addresses where the registration form hasn't been returned despite two or three reminders by post. Used to be standard practice, fewer councils do it now, because of the cost and for personal safety reasons.

The council is just trying to make sure you get your vote.

Ta1kinPeece Sat 28-Oct-17 14:39:07

The electoral roll is done by District and Borough councils rather than County
and they each take a different approach
BUT
Funding is linked to population and electorate so districts are still recovering from the debacle of the system change in 2015
and some are more "on the case" than others about chasing up.

AlpacaLypse Sat 28-Oct-17 14:39:10

My dd's girlfriend is doing this. She wouldn't dream of being rude though!

reggieFF Sat 28-Oct-17 14:40:15

We updated our registration online this June and did not received any letters from the council since. I am worried because I signed something, which I didn't read. She was very hectoring the woman and sort of bossed me into doing this. I normally never sign anything without reading first, now I am stressed Also we many break ins lately and my kitchen door to the back was open whilst I was answering her call. So stupid of me to be so careless.

reggieFF Sat 28-Oct-17 14:42:49

MrTrebus yes mine was very similar though I am in Herts.

When she asked if I want to stay on the ER I asked if the information was public e.g. our names can be searched for which i don't like. She replied "the question is not if your information is public but if you want to stay on the ER" in a very bossy way. What the hell.

ChinkChink Sat 28-Oct-17 14:45:41

Odd. Because it's not optional. From moneysavingexpert.com :

The form warns you can be fined up to £1,000 for failing to respond. It's an offence under the Representation of the People Regulations (England and Wales) 2001 not to provide the information asked for, and in a small number of cases people have actually been fined. You could also ultimately be booted off the electoral register if you don't respond.

But removal from the register and fines would be a last resort for the authorities, and they would only happen after you've been sent a Household Enquiry Form, and usually a second form and a reminder.

Your home may also be visited by canvassers (they usually visit anyone who hasn't replied) and the Electoral Registration Officer would have to formally review if you have a right to remain registered (for example by checking council tax records) before taking action.

Ta1kinPeece Sat 28-Oct-17 15:01:51

But the officers do forget that people like me who look and sound English might not be eligible grin

Efferlunt Sat 28-Oct-17 15:08:38

There are two registers. The first is everyone (and yes they do have to make personal visits to follow up if a house hasn’t returned any forms) the second is only those who have agreed they want to be on the ‘open’ register so businesses can pay to look you up and flog you stuff. You can ask to be removed from this part.

daisypond Sat 28-Oct-17 15:15:12

Never had anyone come knocking - I'm in inner London. But we always get a form to fill in and send back, or do it online, every year.

TidyDancer Sat 28-Oct-17 15:20:13

@reggieFF which area of Herts are you in? If it’s East Herts this is definitely something they do. I have a family member who works for them. She isn’t doing the canvass this year but has in previous years. Personally I would appreciate a reminder like this but no one should be rude about it.

ilovesooty Sat 28-Oct-17 15:25:19

I used to do register visits when I was a student. You didn't get a form first in those days. I wasn't rude though and I met some lovely people.
I don't see why anyone these days doesn't just deal with it immediately on the phone or online. It takes seconds.

reggieFF Sat 28-Oct-17 15:26:27

"I don't see why anyone these days doesn't just deal with it immediately on the phone or online. It takes seconds."
We updated our details in June online.

ilovesooty Sat 28-Oct-17 15:38:48

I didn't mean you. I meant the people who receive reminders and then cause a personal visit to be necessary. I can't imagine why you had one btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now