Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to wish that people would use paragraphs and punctuation in their posts?

(56 Posts)
Iris65 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:24:05

I am so tired of opening a thread with an interesting title and finding a block of largely unpunctuated text. Most of the time I don't bother reading it, although it depends on the subject.

Is there some practical reason why people aren't using punctuation and paragraphs?

RJnomore1 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:25:45

YANBU but there does seem to be some kind of glitch lately, I have seen a few posters saying they put paragraphs in but they disappeared when posted.

PerfumeIsAMessage Sat 28-Oct-17 09:26:39

Because they're not writing a school essay? Or university thesis?

Though if your own comprehension skills in the English language are so poor that you cannot understand those posts, then I'm sure we all sympathize. There are adult literacy courses that could help you?

PurpleGrapePip Sat 28-Oct-17 10:45:15

Though if your own comprehension skills in the English language are so poor that you cannot understand those posts, then I'm sure we all sympathize. There are adult literacy courses that could help you?

Exactly this. I hate this kind of snobbery. If you struggle to read something then don't read it but why be a dick about it? Some people may have a level of education that is lower than yours.

VladmirsPoutine Sat 28-Oct-17 10:50:16

I agree with you but I don't start threads about it, I just go back to Talk and find something else.

There's a thread going at the moment that seems rather interesting but the wall of text is just impenetrable. So be it <shrugs>

AuntieStella Sat 28-Oct-17 10:57:32

It would be apanywhere between iffy and downright goady/gittish to punt it out on the thread.
But YANBU.

Not all posters here have English as a first language, some are dyslexic or use assistive technology to read.

It makes an enormous difference to how (indeed sometimes whether) those people can access the site if posts are written in clear plain English.

It is an act of basic consideration to write in as accessible way as you can manage. There will always be some who can't, some who have a tech failure or whatever. But a shared assumption that MNetters will be as considerate as they can be, is a good feature of the site.

It's the same reason why text speak isn't common, and emojis aren't really used in thread titles.

redexpat Sat 28-Oct-17 11:09:10

It depends really. I think when it really prevents people from understanding what has happened or what the issue is, then YANBU, but as long as I understand I just let it wash over me. Sometimes when I post from my phone the paragraphs disappear which is quite annoying.

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Oct-17 11:11:56

It's perfectly possible to read an understand a post with no paragraphs or punctuation.

Just hide the thread if you are having difficulty comprehending it.

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Oct-17 11:12:32

*and (just in case my sentence lost all meaning there).

OwlinaTree Sat 28-Oct-17 11:15:28

It really annoys me when people feel the need to pick on and comment about people's use of spelling, grammar and punctuation. It very rarely actually makes what they've written incomprehensible, it's just people being snobby and elitist.

Bubblebubblepop Sat 28-Oct-17 11:16:43

This just comes down to stop being a dick OP

ForalltheSaints Sat 28-Oct-17 11:16:44

I blame James Joyce.

RoseWhiteTips Sat 28-Oct-17 11:20:11

Sparklingbrook

It's perfectly possible to read an understand a post with no paragraphs or punctuation.

It is possible but a pain in the neck. If the post is long, rambling and unpunctuated, then a lot of potential readers will not bother.

As for punctuation, you do realise it was devised as an aid to reading, don’t you?

Babababababybel23 Sat 28-Oct-17 11:22:14

Who cares about punctuation. I think we should all break the status quo and speak in text language k. That will gets some heads rolling grin

CancellyMcChequeface Sat 28-Oct-17 11:23:16

If there's a wall of text with no paragraphs, I generally don't even try to read it.

Lack of punctuation and 'text speak' I can read, but I don't like it and it does give me a certain impression, rightly or wrongly, of the poster. I think that picking up on an isolated mistake is a bit twattish, but if the poster doesn't appear to have made any effort, it's not snobbery to say so. You don't need a middle-class background or higher education to know that sentences begin with capital letters!

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Oct-17 11:24:09

It is possible but a pain in the neck. If the post is long, rambling and unpunctuated, then a lot of potential readers will not bother.

Well if you really want to help you can get over it being a pain in the neck and just read it. If not, move along. It's fine.

Migraleve Sat 28-Oct-17 11:26:05

Is there some practical reason why people aren't using punctuation and paragraphs?

Indeed there is. It’s usually something to do with education. Which is unfortunate, particularly as the person posting probably already feels judged, that you are judging once again.

BluthsFrozenBananas Sat 28-Oct-17 11:26:18

I’m not bothered by lack of punctuation, and I don’t care if the text isn’t broken up into correct paragraphs, but for me to be able to read a long post it has to be broken up. I have minor eyesight issues and I can’t focus properly on a huge wall of text.

Sparklingbrook Sat 28-Oct-17 11:27:51

It has been known for people to C&P, add paragraphs and repost the thread for the OP. Not sure about that though. Bit PA maybe.

Nanny0gg Sat 28-Oct-17 11:28:45

I'd settle for posters at least reading the OP's posts, (however long-winded) throughout a thread, rather than asking questions that were already answered or saying things that are completely irrelevant.
Don't care if you don't read all the replies but please read what the OP has put before you comment!
And as long as the post isn't half the page, then I can cope.

Bubblebubblepop Sat 28-Oct-17 11:29:41

You can just not read it you know. The poster isn't waiting with baited breath for your input

OwlinaTree Sat 28-Oct-17 11:29:46

Thing is much as I sympathise Bluths, that's a bit like saying no one is allowed to wear a face covering because I lip read.

(If you worked with me I'd make sure they're were reasonable adjustments.)

OwlinaTree Sat 28-Oct-17 11:30:34

There not they're!

PuppyMonkey Sat 28-Oct-17 11:33:03

The threads without the paragraphs are usually the best ones imho. grin

hackmum Sat 28-Oct-17 11:33:12

Most of the time I try to avoid picking people up on their punctuation or spelling, because it's not very nice. Not everyone is good at punctuation and spelling, and if I had to communicate by drawing pictures, for example, I'd find it very difficult indeed, and you'd all laugh at me.

But I do wish people would use paragraphs in their OPs. Using paragraphs requires no knowledge of spelling, punctuation or grammar, so I don't know why people don't do it. Reading an undifferentiated block of text can be hard.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now