Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Flu jab incorrectly given

(30 Posts)
Marypoppins19 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:20:20

Had the flu shot yesterday under the skin as pharmacy said I had too skinny an arm!?
Never had this before and it's sore today. Google is suggesting (shouldn't be reading I know!) that it was given incorrectly. Should I be worried?!

WaitingTillJuly17 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:27:25

It is fine to give the flu vaccine sub cutaneously if necessary. Most of the time it is because the patient is on blood thinning medication but I suppose the size of your arm will make a difference too if it's extremely skinny. Trust the person who has been trained to deliver the vaccine not Dr Google. Honestly if the pharmacist hadn't told you what they were doing would you even be that bothered by your symptoms now? Soreness at the site of injection is literally the most common side effect of vaccination and should disappear within a few days. Take a couple of paracetamol and enjoy your weekend.

TroysMammy Sat 28-Oct-17 09:31:01

I had my flu jab by a fully qualified nurse and my arm was a bit sore for a couple of days. It happens to a lot of people when they have vaccinations. Unless you have a hard lump bigger than a 50p piece and it's hot and red, the soreness will go in a couple if days.

And don't Google in future.

OhBondageUpYours Sat 28-Oct-17 09:32:17

Mary I had the flu jab yesterday in the normal way and I have a VERY sore arm today. If that makes you feel any better.

PaperdollCartoon Sat 28-Oct-17 09:33:30

Hang on... how do you give a jab NOT under the skin?! I had my flu jab on Monday, I believe under the skin (needle went in skin?) I had a red, sore itchy lump for a few days in the area, very normal. It’s now gone. Soreness and an achy arm are totally normal.

PinkyBlunder Sat 28-Oct-17 09:36:24

They put a needle in your arm. It's going to be sore hmm step away from Dr Google. It make HCPs life a misery. If you don't trust the people who have trained and studied healthcare for years and make it their life's work, don't use them.

BarbarianMum Sat 28-Oct-17 09:38:15

There's a difference bw a subcutaneous (just under the skin), an inter muscular (into the muscle) and an intra venous (into the vein) injection Paper. Some drugs/vaccines need a particular one or other.

XiCi Sat 28-Oct-17 09:38:26

I don't know anyone who hasn't had a sore arm for a couple of days after the flu jab. Completely normal

Ifailed Sat 28-Oct-17 09:39:27

how do you give a jab NOT under the skin? instead of going in at roughly a 90 degree angle, they will either pinch some skin and go in from the side, or slide the needle in like they do if putting in a canola.

Marypoppins19 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:46:42

Just to clarify she said I'm going to give you this subcutaneously instead of the muscle.

Thank you WaitingtillJuly - I was just worried as google (I know!) suggested it should only be in the muscle.

Marypoppins19 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:47:59

I'm not worried about the soreness - just that it will work.

SlothMama Sat 28-Oct-17 09:50:59

Vaccines can be delivered subcutaneously or intramuscularly, the HCP was just doing their job. You had a needle in your arm it's not unexpected for it to be sore the next day

PurplePillowCase Sat 28-Oct-17 09:52:37

yes it will work.
just be glad that the nurse didn't hit the bone. that hurts a lot.

Marypoppins19 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:54:32

Purple pillow - ouch!!!
It's only wobbled me as it was different to the rest of the family

GrumpyOldBag Sat 28-Oct-17 09:54:47

My arm was sore for 3 days after the flue jab & i had it the normal way.

Marypoppins19 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:56:37

Not worried about sorenessjust that it went in the right place and will work. Sounds like it should be fine.

lljkk Sat 28-Oct-17 10:06:07

I think it was the HepB jab that left my arm sore for a week. Or maybe it was typhoid. I got 3 jabs at once. It was the jab that didn't hurt at all going in that caused soreness, while the needle that hurt like buggery, that arm wasn't in slightest bit sore.

headinhands Sat 28-Oct-17 10:08:42

Dh had the jab yesterday and is still saying ‘kiss it’ as he proudly shows me the tiny red dot where he had it done. He says it hurts a bit more than last years.

Betty184 Sat 28-Oct-17 12:09:38

For those who have had this year's flu jab, was a sore arm the only side effect you got? I know you can also get a fever/headache/other aches and pains and I'm wondering how common that is and how severe they are?

I'm due to book an appointment for mine and, if I know I'm going to be feeling rough for the following couple of days I probably need to plan the date a bit more carefully!

Marypoppins19 Sat 28-Oct-17 12:11:33

I've got a massive red circle

Apocalyptichorsewoman Sat 28-Oct-17 12:13:35

I had mine a couple of weeks ago. I noticed a slight sore arm that night in bed, and for the next day or so. In myself I felt absolutely fine!

No sense, no feeling, me.... grin

Apocalyptichorsewoman Sat 28-Oct-17 12:14:46

Mary - Wow!

midnightflowers Sat 28-Oct-17 12:15:42

That’s how I had mine as I have arms like twiglets.
Mine was sore and itchy for a few days after

midnightflowers Sat 28-Oct-17 12:16:30

Posted too soon and Mine went really red like that too.

Marypoppins19 Sat 28-Oct-17 12:21:36

I am a bit 😨 As never reacted like that before to a flu vaccine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now