Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not want to be forever soft?

(8 Posts)
Sotuko Sat 28-Oct-17 07:18:27

has anyone ever gone from being "soft as shit" to being confident and tougher? If so how did you do it?

I'm like a door mouse constantly worried about offending, upsetting, annoying etc - I talk so quietly people can't hear me. I get walked over right left and centre. Abusive men in particular see me coming a mile off.

I dream of being strong, assertive and confident. How do I do it??!

CanYouGuessImATeacher Sat 28-Oct-17 07:28:28

An assertiveness course? Or some CBT? There's probably a good book or two out there too.

Feminism made me toughen up a lot as I realised how I'd always felt intimidated by men and took on a 'fuck you' attitude. I had an issue of 'taking up space' so I forced myself to take up space and hold my head up high. It got easier the more I did it.

speakout Sat 28-Oct-17 07:29:35

I did.
My mother brought me up to be subservient to men in particular.
Led to horrible times in early adulthood,

Having kids was what shifted things for me. I didn't want my kids - and DD in particular to get walked on.
Finding my strength came though my kids. I became a lioness standing up for them.
And that assertiveness has stayed with me.

Sotuko Sat 28-Oct-17 08:22:05

Having kids didn't make me any tougher but then, I was never that maternal either.

How can I get referred for CBT/counselling?

zebedebe Sat 28-Oct-17 09:04:27

Go to your GP and explain about being “constantly worried” - it’s a form of social anxiety, so you should be able to get referred for some CBT via your local IAPT service (in fact you can probably self refer - google IAPT). CBT for anxiety management can then include work on assertiveness. Good luck OP!

Candlelight234 Sat 28-Oct-17 09:11:26

I think a large part of it is about self belief, believing that your opinion is equally as valid as everyone else's and it has a right to be heard.
I became A LOT more assertive through a job I've had. It is uncomfortable at first, but I believe it can be done.

UserThenLotsOfNumbers Sat 28-Oct-17 09:14:44

Sounds odd but why not try to put on an act. Pretend you’re an actress and acting the part of a really assertive person. See how your day goes. I reckon you’ll like it. An you access therapy?

mynxy Sat 28-Oct-17 09:29:24

I think you have boundary issues (like me).

I've found Boundaries After a Pathological Relationship by Adelyn Birch to be immensely helpful. My ex was abusive and I needed to find out what it was about me that enabled him to treat me that way. I keep reading it - it only takes a half hour or so (bad memory!) and it makes me feel so much stronger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now