Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed by fireworks..

(40 Posts)
Justthejist Fri 27-Oct-17 22:21:09

Late at night.

It seems from around now until bonfire night, every night there are fireworks going off. Last night the woke ds up at 10.30. On a Thursday.

I know I'm being a bit miserable, but can people not just keep it to bonfire night? And/ or stop at 9pm.

FenceSitter01 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:23:40

What about Diwali?
Or New Year?
Or Aunt Dottys 80th?

Farontothemaddingcrowd Fri 27-Oct-17 22:23:50

Yes it starts earlier and earlier. It's annoying.

Littlecaf Fri 27-Oct-17 22:25:20

I love fireworks, sometimes you have to live and let live. YABU.

SleepForTheWeek Fri 27-Oct-17 22:26:08

I think they should be confined to organised and controlled events

The fact that anyone over the age of 16 can buy them is ridiculous - and dangerous. They cause animals, children, people with anxiety etc so much grief.

CherryChasingDotMuncher Fri 27-Oct-17 22:28:17

This is not a popular opinion but I don’t think they should be sold to individuals in shops, they should only be allowed at organised events.

And YANBU. It’s just inconsiderate.

Starlighter Fri 27-Oct-17 22:29:41

I hate them too! They’re bloody dangerous as well, they should be limited to licensed venues/people only. And with time restrictions.

They’ve been going on for weeks round here, fed up with them already and it’s not even November yet!

dantdmistedious Fri 27-Oct-17 22:30:14

I think they should be banned apart from organised displays. Have a local display at Diwali, nye, 5th Nov etc.

My dog is terrified. Kids were terrified when they were small.

It’s the unpredictability and the stupid one off tickets at 2 am that do my head in. No need.

dantdmistedious Fri 27-Oct-17 22:30:45

Tickets? Rockets

StrawberryMummy90 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:32:10

YANBU I had some going off near me at midnight last night hmm

pictish Fri 27-Oct-17 22:33:00

I know all the arguments against like keeping kids awake and dogs being scared but SQUEEEEEEE POP BOOM COLOURS!

I love them. Don't mind them at all. Sorry.

HolyShmoly Fri 27-Oct-17 22:34:03

Yep, I think they should be licensed and not for everyone to buy/use. Although that doesn't work very well in Ireland, but I assume if they weren't available in the North they wouldn't be as much of an issue there either.

I love fireworks, btw. I just don't like random bangs outside my house at any hour of the day or night from 1st October to 31st March. (I also do not get the point in setting off a shitty firework down a back alley in the middle of the day.)

Ontheboardwalk Fri 27-Oct-17 22:34:21

Social club near me is having bonfire night tonight because, you know, the professional firework display people are busy next week!!

SpareChangeDownTheSofa Fri 27-Oct-17 22:36:25

I agree that fireworks should not be sold to the public and only done at organised displays for New Years, Bonfire night and Diwali.

For several reasons:

-Its loud and disturbs the public.
-For people with PTSD.
-For animals.
- I have had teenagers throw fireworks at me before now when I was walking home because they thought it was funny.

PodgeBod Fri 27-Oct-17 22:37:12

I have found my people grin I can't get my head around anybody off the street being able to buy fireworks in Asda to annoy the fuck out of the rest of us whenever they please. Home displays are crap anyway.

HolyShmoly Fri 27-Oct-17 22:38:50

Also, it would be lovely to have an organised display at Diwali.
I'm not in this country for NYE, but we always watch the London fireworks on tv and it always gives me such a feeling of awe. Shlepping out to the coast for fireworks followed by chips for Guy Fawkes is fun too.

pictish Fri 27-Oct-17 22:40:30

It's a shame that there's no way of telling whether someone purchasing fireworks is doing so to enjoy so to enjoy a little display in their garden or whether they're planning on being an arsehole with them. I don't mind the booms and pops while our cats and kids aren't disturbed by them in the least. Not so fond of idiots chucking them about to scare people.

Justthejist Fri 27-Oct-17 22:42:36

Glad I'm not alone! I do like fireworks in the right setting. I just think it's so inconsiderate in a residential area late at night.

cakesandphotos Fri 27-Oct-17 22:42:48

Yanbu. I’m 28 and it’s only in the last 5 years I’ve been to a display. And I wear ear plugs. I don’t like loud noises. I especially hate unexpected loud noises so I’m all for public displays only!

EB123 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:44:56

We have them going off regularly around here, usually at around half 11-midnight. It pisses me off, despite it being illegal at that time ln a normal night he police don't care and this week we're happily enjoying the show with the people setting them off.

I like others on here think they shouldn't be sold to the general public.

EB123 Fri 27-Oct-17 22:45:50

on a normal night*

CherryChasingDotMuncher Fri 27-Oct-17 22:58:01

Am I the only one bored to tears by fireworks? I don’t understand what’s so good about lights going pop in the sky (with the exception of the ones you see on BBC on NYE, I’m talking about local displays with Morrison’s fireworks).

Last year we took DD (then 3) to a local display which attracts about 30,000 people. Never again. Freezing cold, 6 foot men putting their 7yo kids on their shoulders so DD couldn’t see a thing (DH is pint sized and I was heavily pregnant so couldn’t help much), unimpressive display and chocca with young people smoking weed and getting pissed. Countless children being woke up across the city, dogs going nuts and kids playing dangerous pranks. All in the name of wiggly lines in the sky.

Don’t get me started on Chinese lanterns grin

DJBaggySmalls Fri 27-Oct-17 23:03:23

I dont get how we can have had several terrorist attacks this year but you can still go and buy gunpowder to play with.

Andrewofgg Fri 27-Oct-17 23:08:32

Organised displays by responsible (and insured) bodies only. But you cannot have a closed list of occasions such as Guy Fawkes, NYE, and Diwali.

DingDongDenny Fri 27-Oct-17 23:18:00

I grew up in Northern Ireland and you couldn't buy them there. It was organised displays or those rubbish boxes of indoor fireworks - anyone remember the disappointment of the snake?

I still can't really believe that anyone can just buy them and let them off - it's a bit mad. I think given how loud and obnoxious they are when you are indoors and they are outdoors and how scary they are to pets etc - it would be better if it was just organised displays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now