Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm officially a CFN :-(

(34 Posts)
OhPoop Fri 27-Oct-17 20:14:44

Oh dear oh dear

I admit this has no AIBU OR YNBU. But I’m feeling really bad....!

Moved to a new area recently (partly because of inconsiderate bordering on twatish parking). I have 2 allocated spaces to the front of my property that belong to me. I live on the corner of a crossroad. On the other road that intersects my road are 2 (what I thought 😬) free for all parking bays- not numbered- any neighbour parking up. Although obviously more convenient for those down that section and with only one allocated spot.

Yesterday due to roadworks in the road I was asked by contractors to move my car- I did so and parked in one of theses bays. I was there for an hour and as soon as the work had finished I moved my car back.

Once parked back up i noticed a note under my wiper. It was polite and asked me not to park there again it’s private etc. Problem is they have also reported me to the parking management for our estate!

It really was an innocent (possibly stupid) mistake. I was there for an hour tops and my own parking had been dug up.

Although I absolutely do realise that if this is a private space I should not have parked there- but it’s unclear. I’m not sure who’s space it is but they would know where my cars are normally parked (bays numbered to house) and knocked on our door rather than leave a note.

If I knew who had left note I would apologise- but also say I really wasn’t aware and that it was only because of the roadworks.

I feel bad, I’d never knowingly do that but now I’m faced with possible £100 fine

Pengggwn Fri 27-Oct-17 20:16:32

Are you sure it is actually private? People write that because they don't want you to park there, but an actual designated space should be signed as such.

Farontothemaddingcrowd Fri 27-Oct-17 20:17:16

I guess you will have to wait and see but hopefully it will be ok, it was an innocent mistake. £100 is very steep.

OhPoop Fri 27-Oct-17 20:18:37

Should add that any visitors we have always park along the coast line path (free parking) a few streets back. Why didn’t I do that? I thought I was doing no wrong ☹️

Sorry neighbour - whichever one you are 😬

user1471449805 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:19:30

Why not contact the management company and ask about these unmarked bays?

FormerlyFrikadela01 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:21:25

How can you be fined if there's no signage? How do non residents know not to park there?

OhPoop Fri 27-Oct-17 20:22:49

The thing is that they are perfectly in their rights to report if it is theirs. That’s why we have a parking company in force.

Yes, maybe they are being possessive and the space is not theirs. But I fear they may be right as the roadworks have some bearing on this- they will tarmac and re- line. That’s when I will know.

Just wish they had knocked and had a moan because I would of held my hands up!

OhPoop Fri 27-Oct-17 20:24:59

There is signage but only states allocated bays/pavement parking/ inconsiderate. I suppose I thought these particular ads were visitor bays 😔

SmilingButClueless Fri 27-Oct-17 20:29:55

I think it's a bit OTT to go straight to reporting you to the parking management. Note on the car, fair enough, as would knocking on your door and asking you to move (and I'm sure you would have been apologetic, unlike the real CFs out there)

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 27-Oct-17 20:30:21

"Problem is they have also reported me to the parking management for our estate!"
Spike their guns. Contact the parking management yourself and ask about the status of the unnumbered bays on X street, explaining the circumstances in which you parked there (roadworks - and mention it was only for one hour). Tell them your surprise at the note, given that you thought being unnumbered meant unreserved. Ask for clarification, and maybe throw in request if there are any plans to make it clearer to residents that these bays are owned.

OhPoop Fri 27-Oct-17 20:33:00

If someone had done the same to me it would have seriously peed me off. But in the same shoes I would have knocked first confusedit really was just an hour and whoever’s space it was wasn’t there at the time. So they certainly fired from the hip!

OhPoop Fri 27-Oct-17 20:37:23

Whereyouleftit that’s a good idea! I am worried about the potential fine- it could be just a threat but the parking company is real. Might just spoil my Christmas (a little bit) as I really wasn’t expecting to pay £100 for an hour helping the contractors do there job ( but then inconveniencing poor neighbour!)

WineIsTheAnswer Fri 27-Oct-17 20:39:01

I would be proactive and explain to the parking company your confusion and ask for clarification. Being unmarked surely should make them unenforceable, plus your lack of parking due to road works and your first 'offense' makes it all seem unfair. I wouldn't be surprised if the company ends up apologising to you for the confusion but either way you'll have a clearer idea whether you'll be fined or not.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Fri 27-Oct-17 20:40:23

I don't think you can be fined unless there are clear signs

QueenUnicorn Fri 27-Oct-17 20:46:14

They wont be able to fine you if it wasn't clear, don't worry about that.

londonrach Fri 27-Oct-17 20:49:45

Whereyouleft..perfect advice

KitKat1985 Fri 27-Oct-17 20:52:54

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure your neighbour will forget about it in a few days. And if you get a fine, I'm fairly certain you will have grounds for appeal if there's no signage to say it's private parking.

Violletta Fri 27-Oct-17 21:10:08

if its not clearly marked, then its unenforceable

Hauntedlobster Fri 27-Oct-17 21:14:05

You’d know if you were getting fined. Poor neighbour my arse. They sound totally over the top for the sake of one hours parking.

Bambinho Fri 27-Oct-17 21:27:59

Just in case the management company or parking enforcement contractors are over zealous and try to 'fine' you, take a photo of the unmarked bays NOW before they are resurfaced and maybe also freshly numbered so you can show evidence they weren't properly defined.

It's not a fine anyway, it's classed as an invoice and they would have to take you to court to try to enforce it.

ptumbi Sat 28-Oct-17 08:24:24

if its not clearly marked, then its unenforceable - totally. If it's not signed, they cannot fine you. I'd ignore. I certainly wouldn't write to the Parking company admitting that you've 'parked in someone else's place'.

Ignore it. If it tries to fine you, appeal on the grounds that there are no clear signs.

And yes, TAKE PHOTOS NOW to prove your case

BlondeB83 Sat 28-Oct-17 08:31:40

They won’t be able to fine you without clear signage.

whyhastherumgone Sat 28-Oct-17 08:37:18

Agree about taking photos to prove their is no signage.

catbas Sat 28-Oct-17 08:39:09

Take a picture of the bays too

catbas Sat 28-Oct-17 08:39:32

Ah cross post ha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now