Talk

Advanced search

To be feeling sick about eating chicken on its use by date

(27 Posts)
purpleangel17 Fri 27-Oct-17 18:09:28

Before I have even eaten any? πŸ˜‚

It is use by today and smelt fine, a bit more watery but nothing else so logically I will be fine.

But my imagination is still running away with me!

AppleKatie Fri 27-Oct-17 18:10:40

It's use by today??

Why would that be a problem?

Achoopichu Fri 27-Oct-17 18:11:32

Absolutely no problem

Wolfiefan Fri 27-Oct-17 18:11:47

I'm paranoid about use by dates. Eat it on the day? I absolutely would!! And do.

Garlicansapphire Fri 27-Oct-17 18:11:55

Its fine. Sell by is advisory - better to use your eyes and sense of smell.

NancyDonahue Fri 27-Oct-17 18:12:06

We've eaten chicken a couple of days past use by and lived to tell the tale.

You'll be fine. What are you cooking?

Footle Fri 27-Oct-17 18:12:22

Why eat chicken at all if you feel so frightened of it?

stella23 Fri 27-Oct-17 18:13:55

I'm like that hate using things on the use by date particularly chicken.

Ta1kinPeece Fri 27-Oct-17 18:15:38

Ignore the date.
Its bollocks to make you throw stuff out (see lots of investigations / exposes on the topic)

Does it look OK
Does it smell OK
Cook it through
Does it taste OK
Then its OK

Laiste Fri 27-Oct-17 18:15:44

I'm overly twitchy about chicken as well OP. So you're not alone.

I unwrapped a raw chicken which was well within it's dates and had been in the fridge the whole time. It smelt odd to me. Eldest DC snuffed it. Said cook it, it'll be fine. I prepared it for roasting and at the last minute ''chickened out'' (ha ha) and chucked it away. I was feeling queasy just thinking about it! I couldn't get past the slight smell i'd smelt.

girlandboy Fri 27-Oct-17 18:19:54

Laiste your DC "snuffed it"! Blimey!!

purpleangel17 Fri 27-Oct-17 18:46:43

I cooked Spanish chicken... I have always been funny about chicken but I refuse to pass my paranoia onto my kids hence why I cook it once a week or so!

Laiste Fri 27-Oct-17 18:49:58

Actual LOL grin

sniffed

HornyTortoise Fri 27-Oct-17 18:52:46

If its stressing you already...don't eat it? You will only be even more paranoid later

sweetbitter Fri 27-Oct-17 18:53:13

YABU, it's use by today so in date. Do you really think the supermarket/producers would risk putting on a date whereby it might not be safe for consumption? Of course not, they need to cover their backs, hence I generally assume a few days past use by will also be fine if you cook it thoroughly.

HotelEuphoria Fri 27-Oct-17 18:55:18

Ha ha I am with Talkin. If it looks ok and smells ok it will be? Never had food poisoning and I eat thing s over the date all he time.

Autumnfalling Fri 27-Oct-17 18:57:17

I eat meat past it’s use by date all the time. Never had food poisoning.

The smell of chicken on turn is unmistakable!

Autumnfalling Fri 27-Oct-17 18:57:42

On the turn!

outabout Fri 27-Oct-17 19:02:08

Ignore the labels and engage your senses and brain.

Roussette Fri 27-Oct-17 19:03:55

Good grief. I buy reduced meals with chicken in and have them a day or three two after...

BackforGood Fri 27-Oct-17 19:05:02

Yup, YABU.
It isn't even past the date.
You can tell if chicken has gone off.....it pongs.

TheCowWentMoo Fri 27-Oct-17 19:14:34

I thought you couldn't tell if chicken was off by smell? I know gone off chicken smells but it can not smell and still give you food poisoning as food poisoning bacteria doesn't cause it to smell?
In this case it is in date so I am sure it will be fine but to all the other posters eating it after the use by date surely thats a bit risky? Chicken use by dates are about 5 days so thats a good week that chicken has been sat in your fridge

JonSnowsWife Fri 27-Oct-17 19:36:47

The worst food poisoning I ever had from food I'd cooked was a fish which was well in date (was a good few days in front the day I used/cooked it).

The chicken with todays use by date will be fine. Enjoy OP.

TheWernethWife Fri 27-Oct-17 19:40:43

Good grief, its not going to turn poisonous at the stroke of midnight.

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Fri 27-Oct-17 20:38:46

Ha, I love these sorts of threads as it always highlights the people who would struggle most in a zombie apocalypse. Not sure what would freak them out the most, the zombies or the germs! grinwink

OP, why on earth are you worrying about something that's IN DATE, especially considering there's a bit of leeway in the dates anyway?! I've often eaten out of date food (including chicken that a few days over) and never had ill effects.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now