Talk

Advanced search

To think 7 stone 4-5 is not a healthy weight

(67 Posts)
Sienna333 Fri 27-Oct-17 15:07:44

For an early thirties woman who is 5'3?

Llanali Fri 27-Oct-17 15:10:04

It’s a little under. Healthy BMI for that height starts at 7st 6.

Ummmmgogo Fri 27-Oct-17 15:10:20

yes you are right should be minimum 7st 6lbs.

SpotAGuillemot Fri 27-Oct-17 15:11:38

Everyone carries their weight differently. I'm 5'8" and 8 stone 12, which is on the slim side but I don't look malnourished or ill (hopefully!). I think if I was 5 inches shorter I would maybe be 8 stone ish? At 7 stone 4 I'd look fairly skeletal but I am quite big boned.

Waytroze Fri 27-Oct-17 15:12:28

Technically, no it's not. But does this person feel well, have plenty of energy, maybe a particularly petite body frame? BMI is such a blunt tool.

ButchyRestingFace Fri 27-Oct-17 15:18:00

I’m 5 ft 2 and look at my best at around 7 st. Sadly, it’s been a looooong time...

Surely it depends on build?

Viserion Fri 27-Oct-17 15:20:27

I am 5'2" . That is exactly what I weighed at that age, when I got married. I looked a hell of a lot better at that weight than I do now at a stone and a bit heavier.

It depends on bone structure and body shape, fitness level etc. You can't judge on numbers alone.

MrsSpenserGregson Fri 27-Oct-17 15:20:36

If it helps - that's my weight and height, and has been for over 20 years (I'm mid-40s now). I am, and always have been, perfectly healthy, thanks very much. I have loads of energy and yes, like the poster above suggested, I have a petite frame with small shoulders and wrists being the most obvious "small" parts of me smile. I'm not a big eater but that's because there isn't very much of me so there's nowhere to put a big meal! I eat when hungry, and enjoy food. I don't get more colds than anyone else I know, and my periods are still regular (damn them).... I conceived two children naturally, sorry for all the details but just trying to think of things that "prove" that my weight doesn't make me unhealthy..,!

OP - not sure if the person in question is you or someone you know. Are they seemingly healthy and happy? 5' 3" is below average height, so I wouldn't expect them to be above average weight really...

Ninjakittysmells Fri 27-Oct-17 15:22:05

7 stone is my ideal weight <hollow laugh at 10 stone on the scales> and I’m 5ft 2.

I was too skinny when I was about 6 ish, but I dropped weight back then when I was stressed.

cliffdiver Fri 27-Oct-17 15:23:02

I was naturally this weight at 5 ft 4 prior to having DD1.

I ate well, did not diet and was very healthy - so yes, it is possible.

peachgreen Fri 27-Oct-17 15:23:31

BMI is a pretty nonsensical measure of health at both ends of the scale. Far better indicators or whether or not someone is a healthy weight for their natural frame as @MrsSpenser illustrates.

glovesonstrings Fri 27-Oct-17 15:33:30

It would be awful on me. But about right on my Japanese friend who has a different build from me.

BoomBoomBoomBoooom Fri 27-Oct-17 15:33:32

I would say that is healthy. Personally a little under BMI is much preferable to a little over since it always seems generous.

I'm 5ft and have been under 7 stone and still healthy, was carrying a lot of muscle at that time too. Didn't look ill or anything, still had boobs and chub to grab.

sleeponeday Fri 27-Oct-17 15:36:54

Surely it depends on the person, and on their diet and lifestyle as well as build? Some people are just naturally really skinny.

Dustbunny1900 Fri 27-Oct-17 15:37:56

BMI is for a very general estimation of the general population, it's not for individuals. And that's per the creator of the damn thing.
I'm 5'6 and 8 stone (maybe a few pounds less). BMI has me as underweight , but I'm full of energy and blood panels are perfect.
So yea YABU a bit

LapinR0se Fri 27-Oct-17 15:38:43

I was always about 7 stone 7 pounds and I’m 5’5”. But now I’m pregnant so it’s more like 9st 7lbs!

QueenOfTheSardines Fri 27-Oct-17 15:40:39

I'm 5.3 and was between 7 and 7 1/2 stone in late 20s / early 30s.

At 7 stone I looked a bit slender but not underweight. Build is smallish I suppose but not teeny. 7.5 stone was pretty good for me. Am 10 now after 2 kids, never mind!

Generally it's not got red flags all over it, no. Unless they are dieting madly / restricting stuff / exercising like crazy or anything else that says eating disorder I'd think this is perfectly OK.

Leatherboundanddown Fri 27-Oct-17 15:41:06

Sounds fine to me. That would be my ideal weight, I'm 5ft 2. I am still curvy though. Even more so these days at 8 stone 7. Hmmm

Lovemusic33 Fri 27-Oct-17 15:42:00

I don't think it's unhealthy, I would be happy at that weight. I'm 5"3 and 8 stone 5lb (sometimes a bit more) but I do weights and gym so I like to think some of it is muscle smile.

fleshmarketclose Fri 27-Oct-17 15:45:52

Dd hovers between 7 stone and seven and a half stone, she's 24 and five foot three. She has health problems so is weighed routinely. Her GP considers 7 stone to be less than ideal and prescribes meal replacement shakes, dd feels better when she is closer to seven and a half stone tbh. Just now she would be delighted to be seven stone three or four as she is struggling to maintain seven stone (currently 6st 12).

Be3Al2Si6O18 Fri 27-Oct-17 15:49:46

YABU if the conclusion of your research here leads you to make an issue out of food and nutrition.

SusannahL Fri 27-Oct-17 15:58:42

It's fine, unless there's a story behind the question.

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Fri 27-Oct-17 16:03:37

I'm that height and look dreadful under 8st, so it would be unhealthy for me. My sister, on the other hand looks a picture of health at 7 and half stone(same height)

So I don't think you can make generalisations.

Why are you asking OP?

IHaveBrilloHair Fri 27-Oct-17 16:06:45

That's what I weigh, I shrank an inch and a half last year, from 5' 2, to 5 foot and half an inch as I broke my back.
I've been told to keep an eye on it but it's not a major worry.

brasty Fri 27-Oct-17 16:15:52

If you have a slim frame, it is just okay.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now