Talk

Advanced search

To ask about pacemakers? :( Worried.

(7 Posts)
MrsOverTheRoad Fri 27-Oct-17 10:13:04

FIL has had a Pacemaker fitted today. He didn't even tell us. He's had prostate cancer and had treatment for it for over ten years but had to have some medication stopped this year because it was affecting his bones badly...

Now, he's had a pacemaker fitted! He never even told us. He texted DH just before he went in!

We;re worried but DH is being non-dramatic....will FIL be oK?

SummerKelly Fri 27-Oct-17 10:15:47

My DM had a pacemaker a few years ago. I’d always assumed it was open heart surgery beforehand, but no a simple op and she was in and out quite quickly. No problems since. Good luck to your FIL!

Want2beme Fri 27-Oct-17 10:25:30

I have a friend who's 77 and had a pacemaker fitted 6 months ago. He was feeling faint a lot of the time, went to see his doctor who said he had a slow heart rate. Doc made a hospital appointment for him for the next day. He was kept in and had his pacemaker fitted. He was very careful with himself in the beggining, but he went away on holiday 2 weeks after the pacemaker was fitted, and now he's pretty much back to normal. He feels so much better.

kaytee87 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:27:09

My grandpa had one fitted a few years ago (he’s now 93), it’s a very simple op. He gets it checked / adjusted once a year I think.

bushtailadventures Fri 27-Oct-17 10:29:37

My DM had one, very simple operation. There are a couple of things you aren't supposed to do, like keeping your mobile phone in a top pocket, but apart from that I can't actually remember any. Never gave her any problems and she felt so much better after having it.

My dad had one fitted two weeks ago, I had several threads panicking about it and always assumed ot was a risky op.

He went in at 730 and was home by 3! Hes taken 2 weeks (may take 3) off of work as your very limited to how you move your arm and it's a little sore but its so much less of a "thing" then I thought!

MrsOverTheRoad Fri 27-Oct-17 11:42:35

Thanks all! So reassuring. :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now