Talk

Advanced search

George HW Bush

(11 Posts)
Shadow666 Fri 27-Oct-17 04:26:20

So, apparently at an attempt at humor to put women at ease, he likes to grab their bums. Three women have now spoken out about being assaulted by him.

I’m on a few American Facebook pages, like The Hill and CNN, and I’m really shocked that the majority of commenters think this is fine as he’s old and in a wheelchair and that the women were wrong to call this sexual assault.

I’m really disappointed by this reaction. Being old is no excuse, his comments show he knew exactly what he was doing.

Anyone else angry about this?

https://www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-41766987

Battleax Fri 27-Oct-17 04:31:12

Who doesn't enjoy the relaxing benefits of being groped by dirty old strangers in wheelchairs? Just the right height and cheaper than yoga class 🙄

I'm glad our own lovely Kevin McNally backed her up. There's a tide turning.

Battleax Fri 27-Oct-17 04:32:06

Maybe the extreme US reverence for former presidents is colouring some of the reactions you've seen?

Shadow666 Fri 27-Oct-17 04:40:43

Sorry the link wasn't clicky for some reason.

www.google.co.jp/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-us-canada-41766987

Maybe that worked.

I don't know why it is. I have an American friend who believes that Bill Crosby is 100% innocent and the women are liars, but she is a Trump supporter so I kind of believe she's part of a ultra-conservative minority.

It feels so hypocritical that so much of my newsfeed is stories of people speaking out again sexual assault and abuse and yet defending this man just because he's old and in a wheelchair. It's no excuse.

podiumFinish Fri 27-Oct-17 04:45:09

Calling this sexual assault or sexual abuse doesn't sit right with me as it minimises much worse crimes called the same.

SuperBeagle Fri 27-Oct-17 04:48:22

I don't often hear people talking negatively about Bill Clinton, despite him doing far more than "just" groping women.

I suspect there are many politicians, both in the US and elsewhere, who have shady pasts.

treaclesoda Fri 27-Oct-17 05:26:56

Calling this sexual assault or sexual abuse doesn't sit right with me as it minimises much worse crimes called the same.

That's like saying that you don't like to hear pick pocketing described as theft because it minimises armed robbery.

kmc1111 Fri 27-Oct-17 05:36:43

He's always had a reputation for being grabby, it's just now people finally care.

It's absolutely disgusting that he tried to use being in a wheelchair as an excuse. Ok, so he can't raise his arms high enough to rest on people's backs for photographs, but why on earth does that mean he has to grab their asses? I expect he manages to keep his hands to himself when taking photos with men!

Shadow666 Fri 27-Oct-17 08:33:48

Actually comments on the BBC page were similar, he’s an old man in a wheelchair, the women are making a fuss about nothing.

Hopefully now he’s been publically outed he’ll behave himself.

podiumFinish Fri 27-Oct-17 08:38:06

@treaclesoda

No. You weren't even able to use that analogy properly as you needed to use different terms.

Theft, burglary, robbery, armed robbery, taking without owner's consent ... Some countries I've lived in have different offences and different (harsher) sentencing guidelines if sentimental items were stolen, if the burglary or theft occurred after dark, if the home owners were in at the time of the burglary.

They have different names as they are different things and cover a wide range of acts.

I don't think this is sexual assault. I don't think it's acceptable but I think if the victim of some terrible assault shared their story and you said "#metoo. Some old guy slapped my arse" you'd sound out of touch at best.

Shadow666 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:31:56

Legally touching someone's bum is usually considered sexual assault and is usually illegal. I say usually because the laws in the US tend to differ state to state but it's definitely illegal in the UK and I'm pretty sure it's illegal throughout the US too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: