Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

leaving washing machine on all day?

(32 Posts)
ughhh Thu 26-Oct-17 23:43:53

is it dangerous yes or no? housemate did a wash that finished at 11am and i’ve just discovered the machine ( 12 hours later ) has been turned on and not emptied all day. is this a hazard or no as i know sometimes leaving the machine on for ages can cause it to start smoking. Just asking as they always leave hob on etc and do this often and i’m hoping this isn’t another safety hazard i have to start worrying about or am i just being paranoid?

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 26-Oct-17 23:45:32

Do you mean switched on at the wall switch? That’s fine! You don’t have to switch those off very time. In fact, doing so is a sure fire way to burn out the switch.

LoniceraJaponica Thu 26-Oct-17 23:46:49

I can't even access the wall switch. I would have to pull the washing machine out.

RoganJosh Thu 26-Oct-17 23:48:37

I think you’re not meant to leave washing machines or tumble dryers running without being supervised. I don’t think you have to switch everything off at the wall though? Ours all live on permanently.

ughhh Thu 26-Oct-17 23:48:59

no as in the dial hasn’t been switched to off, the machine stays beeping and flashing to be emptied until it’s turned off

RunRabbitRunRabbit Thu 26-Oct-17 23:49:14

We usually set the washing off in the morning before leaving the house. Sometimes it doesn't get taken out until the next day. Worst thing that has ever happened is it smelling bad and having to be rewashed but even that is very rare.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 26-Oct-17 23:49:52

Yeah that’s fine OP. It’s not actually running a cycle which is when the risk is there.

ughhh Thu 26-Oct-17 23:50:41

okay thank you! was just concerned

Telstar99 Thu 26-Oct-17 23:50:44

Not if it's not running surely? It wouldn't be dangerous then.

Do you mean just switched on at the wall? Like on standby?

Why would it be dangerous then? confused

ughhh Thu 26-Oct-17 23:51:39

telstar99 a friend left their machine on that beeped and flashed until it was emptied on over night and in the morning smoke was coming out of it so i was just worried!

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 26-Oct-17 23:52:01

Btw, what do you mean by leaving the hob on? An actual ring lit up or burning?

Wolfiefan Thu 26-Oct-17 23:52:21

I don't leave the washing machine, tumble drier or dishwasher running when we are out for fear of a fire.

gamerchick Thu 26-Oct-17 23:52:52

Well you’re not supposed to set them running and leave them unattended, it’s a fire hazard that invalidates your house insurance (or does mine) if it causes a fire. But leaving it switched on but not running isn’t much of a risk I don’t think. The thing will trip of water leaks on it.

ughhh Thu 26-Oct-17 23:53:13

nocrylilsoftsoft yep still lit!! excuse was “ oh i must’ve turned the dial the wrong way “ but has happened a few times now

Telstar99 Thu 26-Oct-17 23:53:24

Oh it was beeping and flashing?

Hmmm, maybe not so safe then.

Mine doesn't do this. It just stops.

And then it switches off. No reminder or 'warning' to pull the washing out at all.

NoCryLilSoftSoft Thu 26-Oct-17 23:54:44

Ooh that’s not good! I’d be pissed off about that.

ughhh Thu 26-Oct-17 23:56:08

telstar99 yeah it beeps every 30 seconds or so and a light flashes along with it so if you press the “ off/standby “ button or just open the machine door it’ll stop! i’m probably worrying over nothing though!

Wolfiefan Thu 26-Oct-17 23:59:01

There have been incidents of house fires caused by washing machines and suchlike. It's not the beeping and flashing that's the problem. If a fire starts and no one is home then you could come back to a smoking pile of rubble.
Yes I worry! My pets are in the house. blush

ughhh Fri 27-Oct-17 00:01:05

wolfie I never go out whilst a wash is running either! Would spend all day worried

Aquamarine1029 Fri 27-Oct-17 00:06:20

I never leave my house with major appliances running as it makes me very uncomfortable. I also make sure small appliances are unplugged as I had a very scary experience with a toaster several years ago. I have several pets and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if something happened.

Wolfiefan Fri 27-Oct-17 00:07:08

Me too! Doesn't help we get the Which Magazine and they regularly do features on which appliances cause fires! Well it seems regular! grin
My dog sleeps in the kitchen. My cats are often in the house. I couldn't risk it.

EasterRobin Fri 27-Oct-17 00:15:00

Not a safety hazard; just likely to cause smelly clothes. The hob, on the other hand...

BoomBoomBoomBoooom Fri 27-Oct-17 00:17:04

Mine is left flashing and beeping. Not something gId bother to worry about tbh and I worry about everything. Danger is only when the are spinning/ washing.

Judydreamsofhorses Fri 27-Oct-17 00:19:44

Mine beeps to say it’s finished, then switches itself off after 15 minutes. If it’s beeping and flashing it means it’s over-heated on the dryer cycle, but we never leave it drying if no-one’s home.

SwedishEdith Fri 27-Oct-17 00:20:45

I wouldn't worry. How would you ever get out to work if had to be in and awake for all washloads?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now