Talk

Advanced search

Those of you who have a cleaner - How long does yours take?!

(32 Posts)
WinterAx Thu 26-Oct-17 20:37:41

I’ve recently moved house and have been searching for a new cleaner in the area. I have a 4 bed three storey house (3 double bedrooms, 1 single) including a small office, large kitchen, main bathroom, en suite and a small downstairs toilet. The house is totally clutter free and very minimalistic. Three of the bedrooms upstairs are practically empty as one is just built in wardrobes, the other an ironing room and the other I use for yoga. Cleaner says it’ll take 4 hours per week for a basic clean.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking this is too long?! Nosily hoping to find out how long yours takes and what sized property you have!

honeylulu Thu 26-Oct-17 20:42:36

I think 4 hours is good going!
Ours comes for 3 hours and we have a three bed (uncluttered) house with one biggish reception room, a biggish kitchen, one bathroom - no downstairs loo. They only just manage to do it all and often miss something out.
They do ironing too but not within the 3 hours. They take that away and we collect it a few days later.

WinterAx Thu 26-Oct-17 20:54:00

Right perhaps I set my expectations I bit high!

Ttbb Thu 26-Oct-17 20:57:14

House same as yours, my cleaner does it (plus a tiny bit of ironing) in three hours.

HJE17 Thu 26-Oct-17 20:58:56

Our cleaner takes 4 hours for a slightly smaller house.

wonkylegs Thu 26-Oct-17 21:04:32

We have a big 5 bed Victorian villa so big rooms.
Cleaner started off doing 4hours but now she's got used to it she's got it down to 3.
She does kitchen, breakfast room, dining room, living room, hall & stairs, utility, conservatory & 3 bathrooms, every week.
She will do family room and kids bedrooms / spare room if I ask, which is usually every month. She does windows fortnightly.
She does a good job.

ivykaty44 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:08:01

Is she really going to clean the whole house each and every week?

Will there be a scheduled list of things she’s doing each week

Windows surfaces pictures skirting boards feather duster corners etc

Or is this just cleaning the main areas?

caperberries Thu 26-Oct-17 21:13:15

Mine takes 2.5 - 3 hours and she really does a very good job - 5 beds, 3 large receptions, large kitchen, utility and 4 bathrooms.

That said, I pay her a flat rate, rather than an hourly rate so she isn't motivated to drag her heels!

Bodicea Thu 26-Oct-17 21:16:16

Ours does 2 hours a week.
Upstairs ( 4 beds two bathrooms) one week.
Downstairs the next week.
Works for us as I only have to get one floor tidy the night before.

AccrualIntentions Thu 26-Oct-17 21:17:42

Similar size house to yours, a basic all over clean takes 3 hours. No ironing.

CMOTDibbler Thu 26-Oct-17 21:18:36

5 bed house, takes 3 hours. I luffs my cleaner and she's been with us 7 years

BackforGood Thu 26-Oct-17 21:24:20

2 hours a week my cleaner does 2 of our bedrooms (usually pretty messy so she tidies first) and one we use as a study so just empties bin and vacuums; a largish kitchen/diner; a lounge; a dining room; 2 bathrooms; downstairs toilet; 2x stairs, 2 x landings and 1 hallway; this takes her about 1hr and 1/4. After that she does another job, which is different each week.

WinterAx Thu 26-Oct-17 21:29:12

This is interesting as I always had 2.5 - 3hrs in mind initially. When I asked if 3 hours was feasible she wasn’t keen... as there is only one ‘lived in’ bedrooms I really don’t see how they’d take that long.

Beek84 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:31:47

Ours is 4 bed, three bathroom. 2 hours a week and she does the whole house every time.

seesensepeople Thu 26-Oct-17 21:44:04

My house is same size as yours, we started with 4 hours but then it got to her using initiative with silly things to fill the time like taking the wine glasses off the shelf and polishing them all (not necessary they are used very regularly smile)
So we moved to 3 hours and I put the bedrooms on a rota basis. This seems to work well.

orecchietti Thu 26-Oct-17 21:54:39

The thing is, assuming your Hoover works well, it actually takes much the same amount of time to hoover a used room and an unused room. So if you don't want to pay her for the 4 hours it would take her to hoover the rooms whether they're used or not, why not make it such that weekly she only does the rooms you use frequently, and then say once a month you pay for the extra hour and she does the whole house?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Thu 26-Oct-17 21:58:08

When we had a house that size we paid for 4 hours but it included ironing and changing one bed.

Crumbs1 Thu 26-Oct-17 21:59:17

We have two cleaners for four hours twice a week now. They do the basics of keeping the house reasonably clean but we do day to day stuff. They do lavatories and bathrooms, kitchen and dust, hoover mop both visits. On top of that they give bedrooms that have been used a going over, do the dining room once a month or so, windows as necessary and other jobs by rotation.

MrTrebus Thu 26-Oct-17 22:01:30

This is interesting as we've just moved and I'm looking into a cleaner but I don't know where to start. Do you all use big companies or word of mouth or a cleaner you met down the pub? How does it work?!

DixieNormas Thu 26-Oct-17 22:02:17

It really depends on your house and how 'lived in' it is, how much glass , mirrors, shower doors etc etc. For some people 3 hours is enough, some would need more

RefuseTheLies Thu 26-Oct-17 22:02:47

Large four bed with three bathrooms. Cleaner does 2.5 hours top to bottom and a little ironing too. She's great.

southeastastra Thu 26-Oct-17 22:04:05

do a time in motion study so you can show her how long it take you to do your house. perhaps you miss bits

DixieNormas Thu 26-Oct-17 22:04:19

You could say no cleaning of the rooms not in use, like a pp said hoovering, dusting/polishing and wiping down the windows all takes time

BuntyCollocks Thu 26-Oct-17 22:05:39

Large 4 bed, 2 ensuites, bathroom, wc, playroom, living room, utility and large kitchen diner. 2.5 hours and half an hour for my ironing.

Elphame Thu 26-Oct-17 22:06:21

5 hours for a large 6 bed house with 4 bathrooms. Only 2 of us here though so we don't make much mess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now