Talk

Advanced search

To not answer the door?

(55 Posts)
lorelairoryemily Thu 26-Oct-17 19:51:42

I'm home alone with ds 18months, Dh is on evening shift, won't be home until 12. It's dark. Doorbell rang, Dog went nuts, baby shouting "dop It" at full volume over and over. He rang the bell 3 times and knocked too, dog moved the Curtin and I got a look at him, he saw me too, no clue who he is, he had a dog with him, aibu or would you have opened the door?!

Ummmmgogo Thu 26-Oct-17 19:53:28

I would have opened because nosyness gets the better of me! I wonder what he wanted?

Maelstrop Thu 26-Oct-17 19:53:59

I might have shouted through the door 'What do you want?' Don't think I'd have opened the door, no. YANBU.

BenLui Thu 26-Oct-17 19:54:46

I would always answer the door I would think it’s odd not to.

Large numbers of MNers disagree though.

Pengggwn Thu 26-Oct-17 19:56:30

No, I wouldn't open the door to a stranger at night when alone with my DD. I would ask through the letter box what was up.

lorelairoryemily Thu 26-Oct-17 19:56:46

Oh the nosyness will kill me too, but im wearing ridiculous minnie mouse pyjama bottoms, my hair is a frizzy mess, the small dog who thinks he's a Rottweiler would charge out and the baby would come running in his grobag😂😂

lorelairoryemily Thu 26-Oct-17 19:57:57

I feel like a weirdo for not answering cos I'm fairly sure he saw me!! And he definitely heard the commotion!

letsdolunch321 Thu 26-Oct-17 19:58:33

I wouldn't open the door, They can take it out on the knocker.

TizzyDongue Thu 26-Oct-17 19:59:44

If you've been rumbled (seen) I think it's odd not to answer. Generally I answer the door, but sometimes I just can't be bothered (If it's a stranger).

But if you were spooked I suppose you're not unreasonable. Maybe asking what he wanted through a window might have eased your fear.

Floralnomad Thu 26-Oct-17 20:00:27

I would , then I be pissed off that it was JW s or someone trying to sell me crap I don't want . We tried to ignore a doorbell on a Saturday night once at about 11:30-12 , it was very persistent and in the end dh went to answer it and it was a very nice man who had walked up the road and noticed that someone had smashed a window in DHs car that was on the back end of the drive . It was pouring down and he didn't want to leave it in case the car got soaked inside . We always answer now .

Marnie182 Thu 26-Oct-17 20:02:32

I wouldn't answer the door. I also keep my door locked at all times, even when I'm in during the day. I think it's sensible.
YANBU

PlausibleSuit Thu 26-Oct-17 20:02:38

Have you got borough council elections coming up where you are? I've had canvassers knocking today.

Madbum Thu 26-Oct-17 20:04:15

No I wouldn’t but that’s because a woman in my area was attacked and robbed on her doorstep a few months back, If my door goes at night and DP isn’t here I don’t answer it.

jay95 Thu 26-Oct-17 20:07:11

Think you did well not to answer the door. Well done. If you feel uneasy there's usually a good reason why. Even if I felt reasonably comfortable I'd probably yell 'I'll get it!' to an imaginary person at the back of the house before opening carefully.

lorelairoryemily Thu 26-Oct-17 20:07:12

We had jw' s yesterday which doesn't happen often. I'm in a small village in Ireland, it's very, very unusual for anyone to ring the bell.

Antisocialarsebadger Thu 26-Oct-17 20:11:00

I don't If I'm on my own. Only because I'm a wimp. Although there's currently a police car outside next doors house which is making me implode with curiosity. Nosey wimp thats me

Ironfloor Thu 26-Oct-17 20:12:55

I'd have shouted 'who is it?' through the door or mailbox. And depending on the answer, opened or not opened the door.

Sirrah Thu 26-Oct-17 20:13:28

I wouldn't have answered, I've ignored the door before when it was salesmen, and JWs. It's your home, you weren't behaving oddly or being rude, you were being very sensible and cautious!

Aquamarine1029 Thu 26-Oct-17 20:14:20

I wouldn't even consider opening the door to a man who is a stranger. Especially late at night (why would anyone be knocking that late? clearly not a delivery), and especially alone with my child.

greendale17 Thu 26-Oct-17 20:15:34

I wouldn’t have opened the door either

repetitionrepetition Thu 26-Oct-17 20:15:34

i would not. most nights I’m home alone with a 6 month old and i’ve had H install a bolt on the front gate so i can lock that fucker up and no one can even get as far as my doorbell. i get really scared at night sometimes sad

lorelairoryemily Thu 26-Oct-17 20:20:08

I'm very nervous at night too, I hate when dh is on the night shift, I'm a big wimp! He looked a bit pissed off when he saw me but I don't care! If it was someone who knew me he'd have had my number to ring, lights are off on the car, all glass closed and intact so god knows what he wanted...

lorelairoryemily Thu 26-Oct-17 20:21:15

I looked out properly when he was gone out the gate and down to road a little and he seemed to have a lead in his hand although I couldn't see a dog

lorelairoryemily Thu 26-Oct-17 20:21:17

I looked out properly when he was gone out the gate and down to road a little and he seemed to have a lead in his hand although I couldn't see a dog

Spudlet Thu 26-Oct-17 20:29:27

If I was feeling v nervous I'd have called out of the upstairs window. Perhaps he'd lost his dog, if he had a lead but no dog?

Last time anyone came round in the dark here, it was some guy trying sell me an aerial photo of the house. We live in an extremely ordinary ex-council semi with an very messy garden (well, at the time it was), it's really not something you'd particularly want framed on the wall... plus, you know, Google Earth exists...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now