Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

For those who thing Rees Mogg is a Borisalike...

(26 Posts)
Gilead Thu 26-Oct-17 19:44:01

Jacob Rees-Mogg said yesterday that women who become pregnant after being raped are committing a “second wrong” if they seek an abortion. In an interview on BBC Radio Five Live, the Tory MP told Emma Barnett, “A great wrong has been created at the point of rape. The question is – does a second wrong make it any better?”
AIBU to think his views are women hating? As far as I'm concerned he shouldn't be allowed to opine on anything, let alone this.

fakenamefornow Thu 26-Oct-17 19:46:42

I don't think he hates women. I just think he has absolutely no respect for them and doesn't see them as his equals.

ConciseandNice Thu 26-Oct-17 19:46:57

That's bloody awful. That man needs to take a long drop down a mine shaft. He's an incredible misogynist. Every time he open a his mouth I can feel my brain screaming murder and I have to stop myself throwing things at the radio/TV.

Battleax Thu 26-Oct-17 19:47:15

As far as I'm concerned he shouldn't be allowed to opine on anything, let alone this.

I was with you up until that point.

We need more Voltairean spirit. What's most damaging to our society ATM is the "safe space, no-platform" trend.

Let him opine. Others can respond or comment. We all get a vote.

MadisonMontgomery Thu 26-Oct-17 19:48:19

I don’t think he hates women. I think he has very strong beliefs and sticks to them.

lljkk Thu 26-Oct-17 19:50:30

Anne Widdecombe would agree with him. She'd find a way to say it that was more sensitive to the difficult decision the woman faced.

I can't agree with OP. Onerous opinions are allowed in my world.

Winebottle Thu 26-Oct-17 19:51:47

Its not women hating. The debate is about women's rights balanced against the rights of the unborn child. Wherever you stand on that balance, I think people are entitled to have an opinion on it because even supporters of abortion acknowledge it is a difficult moral decision.

Ttbb Thu 26-Oct-17 19:54:02

That's not woman hating, just abortion hating. That said it's still stpuid.

beepboopbeep Thu 26-Oct-17 19:54:21

We actually don't need to hear the views of this man and we certainly shouldn't give them any consideration

Paradox of tolerance for this one

fakenamefornow Thu 26-Oct-17 19:59:38

I do wish the interviewer had whet on to ask if he agree with abortion if the woman's life was at risk. I'd be really interested to hear his view on that.

BossaDad Thu 26-Oct-17 20:00:32

He's an intelligent guy glued to bonkers religeous doctrine.

A really dangerous mix.

napmeistergeneral Thu 26-Oct-17 20:08:53

Rees-mogg has six kids and has never changed a nappy. He's also extremely wealthy. Oh and a supporter of a slimline state i.e. austerity and think the rise in good banks is laudable. I can't imagine he has any idea of the consequences to most ordinary women of having a child - financial, career-wise etc. It doesn't enter his mind how difficult having a wanted child can be. Let alone one put there by a rapist.

If he wants to support all life then I would suggest he starts by making sure that every child is born into opportunity rather than austerity - or does he stop caring once they are out of the incubator?

Floellabumbags Thu 26-Oct-17 20:11:21

When Rees Mogg develops a uterus I'll consider listening to what he thinks I can do with mine.

EvilRinguBitch Thu 26-Oct-17 20:18:53

Actually I think the anti-abortion campaigners who say “oh of course rape is different” are the ones who are giving themselves away as misogynists. Either the foetus deserves equal protection as a person or it doesn’t (I think it absolutely doesn’t) - and that has nothing to do with the circumstances of conception.

Saying that women can only have abortions if it’s not their fault that they’re pregnant is a total red flag showing that you care more about whether a women is good or bad than protecting the foetus.

Gilead Fri 27-Oct-17 09:57:40

Yes, let him express his wanky views. I was annoyed when I wrote it. However, I do feel that men should not make judgements on women's bodies.

scaryteacher Fri 27-Oct-17 10:21:52

Gilead That rules out male surgeons then?

I think JRM is staunch and honest in his views. He doesn't say that the woman has committed two wrongs, but that rape is wrong, and for him, so is abortion if the woman gets pregnant as a result of rape.

Whilst I don't agree with his views, I do admire that he sticks to his views and isn't swayed from them. His honesty is refreshing.

Thymeout Fri 27-Oct-17 10:28:37

I don't like Rees-Mogg's opinions, but I think he's got more morals than Boris Johnson. Johnson is a serial liar and adulterer and changes his views to suit his personal advantage. Rees-Mogg is a devout Catholic and his condemnation of abortion is part of his faith. I disagree with it, but at least he sticks to what he believes in. If we're talking misogyny, Boris' treatment of women is nothing to write home about.

Jnic79 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:29:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

SloeSloeQuickQuickGin Fri 27-Oct-17 10:31:02

Abortion is an emotive subject. People will have strong views, whether religious or not, on such a subject. I don’t know anyone who has a vanilla 'meh' CBA view on abortion.

He's entitled to his opinion. Which he manages to convey without any blame.

Snagz Fri 27-Oct-17 10:39:03

https://youtu.be/jc4VxIWXX4w

bluebells1 Fri 27-Oct-17 10:39:44

That is probably because of his belief system. Which is perfectly fine. He is at least honest, unlike most of the slimy politicians of the left.

Reluctant2ndtimer Fri 27-Oct-17 10:51:27

Jacob Rees Mogg is the worst kind of hypocrit in my opinion. He’s happy to try and dictate that abortion is wrong under any circumstance- even rape, yet equally happy to increase his already vast wealth with business interests in the morning after pill. www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jacob-rees-mogg-abortion-pills-abortion-rape-conservative-party-conference-tory-leadership-leader-a7976386.html%3famp
I think people like him should have their views heard far and wide so that we know exactly the kind of person we have in government.

peachgreen Fri 27-Oct-17 11:17:07

I actually don't think any man has a place expressing an opinion on abortion in general, to be honest. But there we are.

badtime Fri 27-Oct-17 12:00:05

bluebells:
He is at least honest, unlike most of the slimy politicians of the left.

Or, indeed, most of the slimy politicians on the right. I don't think either side has a monopoly on slime.

Gilead Fri 27-Oct-17 14:56:59

Gilead That rules out male surgeons then?
I'm fairly sure you knew what I meant, but just to be clear, I do not feel that a man should interfere in a woman's choice to have an abortion. I do not feel that a man should be involved in the legal process with regard to abortion law. I do not feel that a man has a right to pass judgement on a woman's right to choose, with regard to abortion.
If we are talking about medical decisions, then obviously it's a different matter.

JRM does not have a monopoly on morals. In fact they seem a bit hit and miss, he votes with the government on welfare issues thereby increasing child poverty, and yet votes against abortion. Which life is he for...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now