Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My kids are depressed

(13 Posts)
Xfreya Thu 26-Oct-17 18:23:46

Hi everyone , I know your probably thinking this is a joke but it’s not. One of my kids is depressed and I have no idea what to do please help me.

Perfectly1mperfect Thu 26-Oct-17 18:25:28

How old are they ? How long have they been depressed ? Have you taken them to your GP ? xx

DonkeyOaty Thu 26-Oct-17 18:26:05

You take to GP first to get advice and help.

Notanumberuser Thu 26-Oct-17 18:27:16

Go to gp and get signposted. Also contact School for advice.

Hope you get support

GreenTulips Thu 26-Oct-17 18:27:20

GP
School nurse

Sometimes 'strangers' can be more help than family

Xfreya Thu 26-Oct-17 18:27:32

She is 14

whateveryousay Thu 26-Oct-17 18:30:00

I have a depressed teen too. It’s very difficult to live with. We are being seen by CAMHS, after a long wait. While we were waiting, I got so desperate that we paid to see someone privately. It was worth every penny, if you can afford it?

Xfreya Thu 26-Oct-17 18:32:33

Whateveryousay, how is it living with your teen ? If you don’t mind me asking to she come out and tell you she was depressed or did you spot the signs?

whateveryousay Thu 26-Oct-17 18:39:34

He had been fairly moody and withdrawn for a while, but I had put it down to ‘teenage behaviour’. Until I got a very distressing phone call from school to say he was having a panic attack in the toilets, and it all came out then. We went to GP, who made the referral to CAMHS, but there was such a long wait that we saw someone privately in the meanwhile, who diagnosed severe depression and moderate anxiety.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 26-Oct-17 18:40:22

(((((((()))))))))). I promise you no one thinks depression is a joke. It doesn't discriminate against age .
Youve taken the first very brave step by posting this thread. Please book him/her into see your GP

Heratnumber7 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:40:43

Do you mean diagnoses clinically depressed, or a bit moody and down?

whateveryousay Thu 26-Oct-17 18:41:28

SInce the official diagnosis, life has been very up and down. It is getting better, but we went through a phase of appalling rude, offensive behaviour, which he thought we should just accept as he was depressed.

snorkmaiden68 Thu 26-Oct-17 23:25:38

It's not unusual to be depressed as a teen, my family has a history of depression and my son s started at secondary school. Turns out he was being severely bullied to the extent that I eventually took him out of school for a year (suicidal behaviour /self harm). I got him into college (was 15) and it started to get better once he found friends like himself. School and doctor was no use tbh , school actually said he brought it on himself by being different (into metal music and a goth). He s always been a sensitive boy and artistic but I don't think there s anything wrong with that. He still has bouts of depression as do I and I try not to blame myself as it can be genetic. I hope you get help and things have moved on since 2003. Depression in teens needs to be taken seriously. Our lives were hell at the time, I was afraid to go to work and of every phone call but he told me that me being there and believing in him made all the difference. Hoping it works out for you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now