Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think I don't need permission from dh to diet

(158 Posts)
Jesstheblackandwhitecat Thu 26-Oct-17 18:17:41

Or do I?

I want to do a very low calorie diet - shakes and soups.

Dh has said no as he is worried that seeing me not eating will affect the children (they are already poor eaters)

I can't work out inches being an arse or not ...

RedHelenB Thu 26-Oct-17 18:18:29

I think he has a poitou.

RedHelenB Thu 26-Oct-17 18:18:43

Point

CheeseGirl4 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:20:52

These diets absolutely knacker your metabolism. I also agree with your husband that not eating properly yourself does not promote a healthy attitude towards food for your kids.

WorraLiberty Thu 26-Oct-17 18:21:17

I'm not sure I'd want anyone showing that sort of example to my children I'm afraid.

Especially as the 'eat healthy and exercise' message is being drummed into them at school/by HCPs etc.

OohMavis Thu 26-Oct-17 18:23:07

Well you can do what you want, you're not his child.

But he's right.

Glumglowworm Thu 26-Oct-17 18:23:09

He has a very good point

that's not a healthy or sustainable diet and sets a terrible example to your children

Jesstheblackandwhitecat Thu 26-Oct-17 18:23:51

Surely me being overweight is a bad example too though?confused

BaDumShh Thu 26-Oct-17 18:24:09

Those kinds of diets are absolute bullshit. Waste of time and money and you end up fatter in the long run.

Eat healthily, don’t overeat, and do a decent exercise session 3-4 times a week. You’ll do your body a lot more good and set better examples for your children.

messyjessy17 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:24:09

You don't need his permission, no. He's making sense though.

WhataHexIgotinto Thu 26-Oct-17 18:24:11

Fuck no, don't do that! It'll mess up your head, you won't be able to stick to it and it is bad for your DCs to see it. Reduce your portions, more fruit and veg, get some exercise and you WILL lose weight. In a healthy way.

WorraLiberty Thu 26-Oct-17 18:24:34

Yes it is, but that horse has already bolted.

What you need to do now, is put it right in a healthy way.

Butterymuffin Thu 26-Oct-17 18:25:07

You don't need permission but that is a foolish diet to follow. Show your kids the good example of changing your habits long term and of eating most things in moderation.

Jesstheblackandwhitecat Thu 26-Oct-17 18:25:16

I can't do that though! I am crap I know.

LadyLoveYourWhat Thu 26-Oct-17 18:25:20

I think he's right to worry about the example that you'd be setting your children. You should only do a VLCD under the supervision of your doctor. If you want to lose weight it's better to do it slowly so you can learn better habits that you can sustain when you've lost weight. Try out MyFitnessPal, it worked/works really well for me.

OohMavis Thu 26-Oct-17 18:25:40

Surely me being overweight is a bad example too though?

Well yes, but starving yourself isn't a good one is it?

Santawontbelong Thu 26-Oct-17 18:25:53

Home made soup and a brown bun can be a healthy tea for you and the dc!

messyjessy17 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:26:04

I can't do that though!

Then what do you think will happen when you stop the vLCD?

WorraLiberty Thu 26-Oct-17 18:26:11

If you can't do that, then what's the point in this diet?

You'll just pile the weight back on and go round and round in circles.

Jesstheblackandwhitecat Thu 26-Oct-17 18:26:22

I've tried fitness enemy pal, ww, sw... grin

WaitingTillJuly17 Thu 26-Oct-17 18:27:12

No you don’t need permission to go on a diet, however he does have a say in matters that affect your DC’s. It seems that he is not opposed to the idea of a diet per se but the type of diet you intend on and how it might affect their future self esteem and eating habits. Not to mention potential health issues that may arise for you.

Conversely, if your DC were to see you eat healthily, exercise regularly and get to/maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle it could be quite positive for them.

Jesstheblackandwhitecat Thu 26-Oct-17 18:27:14

I don't think I will worra, it is as if I need the incentive of feeling confident to eat well. When overweight I overeat because I am lacking confidence and unhappy.

Sirzy Thu 26-Oct-17 18:27:42

So what do you plan on doing when you actually have to start eating again? Or are you going to live on soup and shakes for life?

I agree with him.

Jesstheblackandwhitecat Thu 26-Oct-17 18:28:48

See above thlsmile

Jasminedes Thu 26-Oct-17 18:28:52

He is correct that parental dieting and intensive exercise is a very common trigger factor for eating disorders in children already predisposed to eating problems. It is sort of similar to him having a view on you binge eating, gambling or drinking excessive alcohol - not a good example.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now