Talk

Advanced search

To be unable to stop drinking

(8 Posts)
lilliecat Thu 26-Oct-17 16:43:45

Embarrassing but I've been drinking heavily for a while now and I can't seem to stop.

What should be my first steps?

maddiemookins16mum Thu 26-Oct-17 16:46:44

You've already taken it, even accepting/realising there is a problem is a huge first step. If you search on MN there is a whole topic area, I think it's called alcohol support or something but hopefully someone might be along to post the correct link/title soon.

MoistCantaloupe Thu 26-Oct-17 16:49:55

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/alcohol_support

Nothing to be embarrassed about at all. Well done for taking your first step, you should feel proud of yourself smile

As well as the support in the link above, I'd recommend looking for your local AA and taking guidance from there.

doris9034 Thu 26-Oct-17 16:50:03

Hi Lillie - I'm in the same place as you and have found the Brave Babes thread in relationships really supportive

OstentatiousWanking Thu 26-Oct-17 16:50:54

If you Google your area and community alcohol support services you will find free confidential support. They will be able to assess your needs and arrange either 1 to 1 or group help.
There is AA. Personally it wasn't for me, but I know lots of people who it really helped.
There is a thread in Relationships Brave Babe's Battle bus. You will get lots of support and advice there.
I'm an alcoholic in recovery. Contacting my local community service honestly saved my life. I nearly died twice and would never have believed I could live without alcohol. So know that you can change this with the right tools and support.
You've made the hardest step by seeing you have a problem and asking for advice flowers

lilliecat Thu 26-Oct-17 16:53:40

Thanks for your lovely support. I'm a bit worried about aa as I'm not religious - will have to see.

MoistCantaloupe Fri 27-Oct-17 07:45:34

Hope you're doing well this morning OP! Just wanted to mention on AA - you really don't have to be religious to go so I wouldn't worry too much about that to start with. Just go and see if it's for you smile

maddiemookins16mum Fri 27-Oct-17 08:04:57

I second the above poster re AA. It's not religious. They do talk about a 'God' but that 'God' can be anything you want it to be. Plus they are an incredibly friendly bunch of people all in the same boat and the support/friendship and advice can be truly amazing (and incredibly helpful).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now