Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

“Wait, what?”

(133 Posts)
BaDumShh Thu 26-Oct-17 15:02:56

AIBU or is this the most overused phrase in tv and film at the moment?

I can’t watch a single tv show (mainly American) without this phrase being uttered at least twice per episode. It’s starting to drive me batty. It’s utterly lazy writing.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?! And yes, I’m aware that this is a very petty AIBU. But I’m currently on sick leave, watching a lot of Netflix and if I hear this accursed phrase one more time I will kick the tv.

ILoveMillhousesDad Thu 26-Oct-17 15:04:44

grin yanbu.

I noticed it in the film Frozen, and since then, I have noticed it is so many american shows.

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Thu 26-Oct-17 15:07:07

Dd uses it a lot

It makes me laugh

Yabu smile

bibliomania Thu 26-Oct-17 15:09:47

Yes, dd has picked it up too. I thought it was funny at first but now it's starting to annoying me.

CoolCarrie Thu 26-Oct-17 15:20:30

It is annoying, so is " like" all the bloody time, mainly said by inarticulate Americans! Watch Miriam Margolyes on Graham Norton about "like" vet funny

Rufustherenegadereindeer1 Thu 26-Oct-17 15:22:39

Oh now 'like'

I hate 'like'

scottgirl Thu 26-Oct-17 15:26:32

Closely followed by "What the....?"

Slimthistime Thu 26-Oct-17 15:31:28

oh I like it

but I mostly see it on Twitter in contexts which are hilariously funny so that's probably why.

diddl Thu 26-Oct-17 15:32:24

"excuse me?"

Is the one that gets me.

Popchyk Thu 26-Oct-17 15:33:14

"What are you? Crazy?"

Don't like that one. Doesn't even make sense.

And:

Character A says something that Character B doesn't like. Character B always says "Really? Really?" with the raised eyebrows/huffy voice combo. Irritating.

AnnieAnoniMouse Thu 26-Oct-17 15:34:38

People use it on here too. I get a very strong urge to reach through the screen & slap them.

The 12 yo uses it too. Between that, 'like' & 'basically' she's in danger of getting abandoned on the M25.

BaDumShh Thu 26-Oct-17 15:35:00

grin

We should all join forces and write a tv show with decent dialogue.

Catwithglasses Thu 26-Oct-17 15:37:34

I've just binged on 'The Good Place' which I enjoyed except for the significant overuse of the word 'literally'.

FloControl Thu 26-Oct-17 15:38:50

Glenn Quagmire has been known to say it.

furcoatandnoknickers Thu 26-Oct-17 15:39:12

BDS - can highly recommend Peaky Blinders, if u haven't all ready watched!! No wait-whats, but lots of fucks (all which ways, as it goes!) I'm totally in awestalking Killian Murphy.

PiggyPlumPie Thu 26-Oct-17 15:41:28

DD1 uses it all the time - thank fuck she's at uni so I don't hear it too often at the moment.

DD2 says like all the time and has the piss taken out of her constantly because of it.

lifesaverormassmurderer Thu 26-Oct-17 15:42:18

I hate 'it is what it is'. Makes me grit my teeth whenever I hear it!

PantPlot Thu 26-Oct-17 15:42:57

The americanism I can't not hear is 'go ahead'.

As in...

I'm going to go ahead and <insert action>

So then you go ahead and xxxx

It's all over You Tube and cookery shows etc

Not that I've anything against americanisms I hasten to add, I love the US and the folks.

CaoNiMwahaha Thu 26-Oct-17 15:51:37

I can't stand the "Wait..." thing. It is simultaneously entitled and mindless.

Rafflesway Thu 26-Oct-17 15:53:29

My pet “Americanism” hate is “You guys”.

DH and I are both in our 60’s and hate being referred to as “You guys”.
Just really disrespectful in my book although virtually everyone under 40 seems to use it nowadays. 😡

Nothing wrong with good old love, pet etc. When I had my business I had lots of real Londoners who used to refer to me as “Treacle” which to my Irish/North English senses was lovely. 😸

AutumnalLeaves38 Thu 26-Oct-17 15:53:32

"My bad" causes me irrational rage.

I'm becoming grumpier these days, I think.

charmedrose Thu 26-Oct-17 15:55:01

What about..."and yeah", used to fill in an awkward gap in the conversation.

amusedbush Thu 26-Oct-17 15:56:04

I can't bear the "uhh" they add in to speech with American shows. I don't know if it's for emphasis or a dramatic pause or what but it's so annoying.

"He's, uhh, quite a character"

"I was thinking that, uhh, maybe we could get dinner"

It always feels really forced.

Laiste Thu 26-Oct-17 15:59:36

Oh i'm glad it's not just me who's noticed Anna (Ahna?) keep on saying it in Frozen and finds it really irritating.

Wait what wait what wait what wait what - shut.UP!

Couldn't they think of a different phrase!?

AutumnalLeaves38 Thu 26-Oct-17 15:59:44

"Nothing wrong with good old love, pet etc. When I had my business I had lots of real Londoners who used to refer to me as “Treacle” which to my Irish/North English senses was lovely."

I'm mid-40s and like being referred to by those affectionate terms, too, Rafflesway. According to my 17 yr old Goddaughter, we're now supposed to find them patronising and deeply offensive... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now