Talk

Advanced search

aibu that aggressive dog which has bitten 3 work colleagues should not be at work

(30 Posts)
Jayfee Thu 26-Oct-17 13:34:59

My son came home with a red swollen dog bite wound on his arm yesterday. He is the third person to be bitten since the boss started bringing his dog to work. There is another dog also in the office which is no problem. The boss is apologetic, but dog still roams freely. The problem is that the people in the office are nervous of upsetting the boss and riskng their jobs by making too much fuss. Any suggestions? Caninicide ( if that word exists) is not an option

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 26-Oct-17 13:36:41

Caninicide???

But no the dog should NOT be there if it’s aggressive and a known biter! It baffles me that the boss thinks it’s okay to keep letting it roam around confused

Namechangetempissue Thu 26-Oct-17 13:39:46

The boss had better sort it out unless he wants to be sued!
Phone ACAS and ask advice on how to handle the situation. You can't be sacked for wanting to work in safety!

PurplePillowCase Thu 26-Oct-17 13:40:45

report to police as out of control dog?

is the skin broken? tge he needs it seen to as animal bites can be ery dangerous.

mummymeister Thu 26-Oct-17 13:41:30

Your son needs to make a complaint through either his union or HR. the tack that I would use is that visitors/clients coming to the office might get bitten and then the company would be sued.

if its a small company then he should go speak to the dog warden at the local council for advice. they have all sorts of leaflets and he could put one, prominently on his bosses desk. also the health and safety at work act places a duty of care on employers to give their employees a safe place to work. it isn't safe with the dog there and as it has bitten him I would be ringing environmental health and asking to speak to their health and safety team about this. any complaint is anonymous though of course the boss will know it is someone who works there and has been bitten.

it really needs everyone in the office to take collective action because then he cant single someone out and sack them.

no one should be working in an environment where they are this worried about their safety.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 26-Oct-17 13:45:33

Serious safe guarding issue.
Bringing a dog to work even if its as daft as a brush is bloody ridiculous.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 26-Oct-17 13:46:52

"You can't be sacked for wanting to work in safety."

1000 yys to this

Frequency Thu 26-Oct-17 13:49:15

It's very unusual for a dog to bite unprovoked. I'd assume the dog was in pain or mental distress.

Perhaps, if it's raised that way with the boss, he might be more open to leaving the dog at home.

Show him links like this positively.com/dog-behavior/behavior-problems/stress/ and advise him to take the poor thing to the vet to have physical pain ruled out.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Thu 26-Oct-17 13:49:17

Bringing a dog to work even if its as daft as a brush is bloody ridiculous.

Er... disagree. We have 2 in on a regular basis (although rarely on the same day) and having a pooch to fuss it chills everyone out. That said though, they are both (mostly) well behaved.

A dog that bites should not be allowed anywhere though - is the boss doing anything to sort the behaviour out? Would imagine the office is not the only place he bites. Dangerous dog.

DunkMeInTomatoSoup Thu 26-Oct-17 13:51:01

report to police as out of control dog?

Its on private property, not public, therefore its not breaking the law

mummymeister Thu 26-Oct-17 13:58:43

the employers ARE breaking the law Dunk if they fail to provide employees a work place with due regard to their health, safety and welfare.

its no different to expecting them to go up ladders that aren't properly secured or to drive a fork lift with no training. its a breach of the employers dutys under the HASAW etc Act.

HASAW etc Act is enforced either by the local authority - environmental health or by the HSE depending on the nature of the business.

PurplePillowCase Thu 26-Oct-17 14:04:45

that has changed

RhiannonOHara Thu 26-Oct-17 14:06:39

It's not OK for ONE person to be bitten at work, let alone three!

I agree with those saying call ACAS. I'd call the police too.

stealtheatingtunnocks Thu 26-Oct-17 14:13:13

How old is your son?

PovertyPain Thu 26-Oct-17 14:17:57

I'm a dog sitter and over the years have been bit by anxious or aggressive dogs, or accidentally while breaking up rough play. Clients are only permitted to enter the dog area when I deem the dogs to be suitable and them to be sensible. Your ds's boss it a divk and needs to wise up. He will get slaughtered in court, if someone gets seriously hurt. He may even do jail time.

PovertyPain Thu 26-Oct-17 14:19:44

Meant to add, dog bites are really really painful.

Ttbb Thu 26-Oct-17 14:20:28

Maybe an anonymous report to the RSPCA. Terrible way to treat your pet.

RhiannonOHara Thu 26-Oct-17 14:21:37

Perhaps, if it's raised that way with the boss, he might be more open to leaving the dog at home.

Bollocks to that. Why should people handle this with kid gloves when his dog has bitten THREE members of staff?

I agree, it's not unlikely that the dog is suffering in some way, but while I think the dog needs to be treated with compassion I've no such sympathy for the owner.

fakenamefornow Thu 26-Oct-17 14:26:14

Not true. A dog is not allowed to bite people regardless of where it is.

Atenco Thu 26-Oct-17 14:51:47

Unbelievable, is your son working on a slave plantation?

Jayfee Thu 26-Oct-17 14:52:11

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to speak to him this evening. Caninicide was my joke about killing the dog not being an option. In a job situation where the boss is in the office and so indulgent of such badly behaved dog,dealing with the situation as an employee is not straightforward as it can affect your working relationship and prospects. Obviously the boss wouldn't directly link any action to dog complaints, but there were several redundancies a few months ago and my son was relieved to keep his job. My son is 30 yrs old and just recently moved home so I have to respect he is an adult and try not to be too mumsy. That is hard as I spent last night fretting in case the bite goes septic. I am angry that a boss behaves this way. If that dog is like that at work, I think it will be a danger elsewhere. I am definitely going to try and find out more details this evening. If I had ever been bitten at work I would have made a big fuss.

Jayfee Thu 26-Oct-17 14:53:45

No ,Atenco, apparently its on trend to take inbred French bulldogs and suchlike to work in trendy design offices.

FeelingAggrieved Thu 26-Oct-17 14:54:17

3 times! He should have stopped bringing him after the first time!

Sashkin Thu 26-Oct-17 14:58:14

If he goes to A&E with that bite (and the boss can hardly sack him for seeking medical attention), and tells them that his boss’s dog bit him and two other people, A&E may well contact police themselves, or offer to contact them for him. Might give your son some deniability?

And if he hasn’t sought medical advice he should, dog bites are nasty and get infected quite easily. It’s been a while since I worked in A&E, but we used to give prophylactic antibiotics for animal bites.

RhiannonOHara Thu 26-Oct-17 15:03:32

If they tried making your son redundant then a good employment lawyer could make a good case for the 'coincidence' of the redundancy coinciding with your son saying something about the dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now