Talk

Advanced search

Am I a Victorian pearl clutcher or is this rude?

(106 Posts)
LazySusan11 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:26:06

At a hotel went for breakfast met other colleagues and on the table next to us is another lady, she’s got her iPad propped up on the table watching an episode of something..without headphones. No awareness of others around her that she might be disturbing me this isn’t normal is it?

I’m in hotels a lot and more and more people are doing this sort of thing. Are headphones suddenly obsolete?

ChardonnaysPrettySister Thu 26-Oct-17 11:27:53

Ah.

I'd say she is a rude cow. But I bet the next poster will tell you the mind your own business.

Queenofthedrivensnow Thu 26-Oct-17 11:29:09

Rude and selfish

ParadiseCity Thu 26-Oct-17 11:29:34

Rude but becoming normal. I tell people that it is aggravating my tinnitus and would they mind using head phones or turning it off. This seems to work better than pointing out they are rude.

Iwasjustabouttosaythat Thu 26-Oct-17 11:30:41

I hope she wasn't in her pyjamas too...

Lethaldrizzle Thu 26-Oct-17 11:30:46

Was she wearing her pyjamas as well?! I think it's rude and I woukd have politely asked her to wear headphones

Bluntness100 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:31:13

Totally rude and obnoxious. It’s fine to watch something on iPad, but head phones in a public place are the decent thing to do.

LazySusan11 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:32:29

No pjs no bare feet sadly hmm I didn’t say anything to her I went down the passive aggressive route <hangs head in shame>

Madbum Thu 26-Oct-17 11:32:50

Yes rude, go a plonk yourself down and start watching with her if she gives you a look say “oh you’ve put the sound up for everyone so I thought you wanted us all to join you.” grin

WhatwouldAryado Thu 26-Oct-17 11:32:58

Earphones. It's the only acceptable thing. She can probably even get them in the hotel as a lot of them have these sort of basics to buy.

oklookingahead Thu 26-Oct-17 11:33:20

Becoming totally normal - and imv incredibly rude and inconsiderate! But on the other hand nothing people do surprises me these days (and I suppose things I did in the past seemed incredibly rude and inconsiderate to people older than me - though not sure what!).

lljkk Thu 26-Oct-17 11:34:14

Mild Cowbag behaviour.

Bonelessbanquet Thu 26-Oct-17 11:34:14

No different in my mind than listening to people chatting/laughing etc, most likely isn’t even as loud.

LazySusan11 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:34:17

Mad I should’ve done! Whatever she was watching amused her greatly.

JeepersKreepers Thu 26-Oct-17 11:36:27

You should've pulled up a chair really close to her and started munching very noisily on a croissant while giving her a huge smile.

If she asked what you were doing, you could look all hurt and say "Oh, I thought it was a public showing considering you're broadcasting it to the entire room"

OR

You could have walked to her table looking all official and said "Madam, I have to inform you that I am from the Licensing and Broadcasting Agency and if you do not use headphones while watching your ipad, you are contravening several copyright laws including the 1984 Broadcasting Act, the 1987 Licencing and Broadcasting Act, the 2005 Licensing, Broadcasting and Public Performance Act and the 2011 Broadcasting and Performance Act and I will have to issue you with a fine of £38.82" Then just stand there and wait.

(This Agency and these Acts don't actually exist) grin

JeepersKreepers Thu 26-Oct-17 11:37:23

Beat me to it mad grin

worraMoaner Thu 26-Oct-17 11:37:26

Did you say something?

I don't think you can really complain unless you gave her the opportunity to stop. She may have thought it was quieter than it was.

LadyLoveYourWhat Thu 26-Oct-17 11:37:28

It sounds completely different to normal conversation, often tinny and so annoying. There's no need for it.

LondonGirl83 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:44:54

Rude

specialsubject Thu 26-Oct-17 11:46:02

silly cow. No more acceptable than playing a radio at table, still less the crappy sound from a brickphone.

tell her to use headphones or shove the device where the sun doesn't shine.

cdtaylornats Thu 26-Oct-17 11:46:33

If you know what she's watching then

"I loved that episode it was quite a shock when <character> died in that suicide pact with <character>"

WomblingThree Thu 26-Oct-17 11:46:42

Aggravating your tinnitus @ParadiseCity? How on earth do you manage in the real world?

FlowerPot1234 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:47:10

Excellent suggestion mad. I should have done that this last weekend (mentioned on another thread which is discussing this behaviour in kids right now).

smallmercys Thu 26-Oct-17 11:47:32

If, God forbid, something had got spilt on the table near her iPad she would have pissed off decamped quickly. grin

PoppyPopcorn Thu 26-Oct-17 11:48:14

Was she in her pyjamas? Because according to loads on Mumsnet that's totally acceptable hotel behaviour too.

I think that it's basic consideration - fine to be watching whatever on your tablet, but common courtesy to use headphones so that everyone else doesn't have to listen to it too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now