Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to feel my heart sink at this?! (lighthearted)

(16 Posts)
KitKat1985 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:11:55

I've been invited to a hen night. To be honest I'm not a fan of hen nights in general (and all general 'forced fun' events) and on this particular one it's likely the bride-to-be will be the only person I really know who is going, but I decided to suck it up since the bride-to-be is a good friend and I figure it's only one evening out of my life. I was just starting to feel a vague sense of enthusiasm that it could possibly be fun actually to get dressed up and have some cocktails at that nice bar in town that I've never had the chance to go to before. (I should say we have a 3 year old and a [nearly] 1 year old and nights out have become a rarity). I was thinking about that nice dress I have that I could wear and wear some lovely heels that haven't seen the light of day for a while, and that going out for once with my hair and nails done nicely, without whining children and baby food smeared on my trousers , could actually be a treat. Until today when maid-of-honour messages me today to say she's thinking about making it 80's fancy dress theme. AIBU to cry and wail?

BellaHadidHere Thu 26-Oct-17 11:17:08

I have very little sympathy OP as I have to go to a fancy dress party as DJ Steves from "People Just Do Nothing" in December.

An 80s outfit would be a doddle and I could make it look vaguely sexy.

Swap?

upperlimit Thu 26-Oct-17 11:17:18

Can you shove some shoulder pads under your nice dress and carry a filofax. Both can be dumped in a handbag once everyone has had a few drinks and you can look how you want?

PanPanPanPing Thu 26-Oct-17 11:17:35

YANBU - cry and wail all you like grin

I've loathed fancy dress ever since a humiliating childhood experience at a fancy dress competition.

MissFlashpants Thu 26-Oct-17 11:17:59

Nope nope nope. I’d be out at that point.

BellaHadidHere Thu 26-Oct-17 11:18:24

I've loathed fancy dress ever since a humiliating childhood experience at a fancy dress competition

Tell us everything....

CryptFascist Thu 26-Oct-17 11:22:16

80s can mean a lot of different looks, there’s way more than just neon deelyboppers!
A friend of mine had an 80s themed hen night, I went as a Goth. Got told off for that, for some reason!

Santawontbelong Thu 26-Oct-17 11:26:26

Wham t shirt and a pair of jeans?

PanPanPanPing Thu 26-Oct-17 11:30:02

My Mum was usually brilliant at fancy dress, but on this occasion we weren't at home and she had limited resources to devise a good costume. I suppose, also, that I had been used to coming in the top 3, thanks to Mum's sterling efforts! When the judge called the winner, I thought he'd said my 'costume name' so I went up to collect my prize, only to be told "not you, dear, I said the <similar costume name>". So there I was in full view of the audience, embarrassed when the other child came to collect their prize.

I suppose it was a good lesson in 'not winning' and being a gracious loser - which I would have been if I hadn't misheard - and had it not been for the fact I was left standing there on the stage feeling like a bit of a fool.

Despite that being 50 odd years ago, whenever the words 'fancy dress' are mentioned it brings it all back!

velvetcandy Thu 26-Oct-17 11:56:43

DJ Steves is a lege

Aderyn17 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:59:06

You could go as a backing singer for Robert Palmer's 'addicted to love'. Still 80's but glam. You could still habe nice nails and make up.

KitKat1985 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:09:33

BellaHadidHere - oh god no. That's awful!

I like that idea Aderyn17!

KitKat1985 Thu 26-Oct-17 12:21:02

Oooh hope on the horizon! Someone has suggested that a 1920's theme would be nice, and I've hopped on the bandwagon with that and said 'oh yes 1920's theme would be good'. So now there's a discussion over which will be better. Don't get me wrong 1920's is still an irritating fancy dress theme (rather than just letting people wear what the hell they like), but at least the 1920's has some lovely outfits. x

Santawontbelong Thu 26-Oct-17 13:29:07

Me and friend were badgered into an ABBA night, restaurant to pub required me driving and loading my 7 seater to the brim. Cue friend in mini dress and spray painted silver boots clambering over the rear seat as she couldn't manage the handle, poor elderly gentleman sat in his car behind got a right eye full!! Vowed never again.

BellaHadidHere Thu 26-Oct-17 13:39:21

Oh I know, I love Steves but it's not a very sexy look is it?

Plus, I'll be boiling in a fucking tracksuit all night. At least I'll be comfortable I guess.

Plus, it's bloody hard finding Kappa stuff nowadays. Luckily I have a pair of Rockport boots from when I was a massive 2000s chav at school and I found a flappy hat for 25p in the charity shop.

Seniorcitizen1 Thu 26-Oct-17 13:41:17

If she is thinking about it being an 80s fancy dress message her and tell her to think again. I wouldn't go

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now