Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that sitting with the adverts muted but still watching them is odd?

(18 Posts)
DameBaggySmith Wed 25-Oct-17 21:53:02

I get that the adverts are loud and annoying but if we’re still staring at the TV watching them then we’re still taking it all in, surely?

Background info: I’m currently on holiday with my DP’s family and the bickering and atmosphere is doing my head in so my temper is somewhat frayed!

CherriesInTheSnow Wed 25-Oct-17 21:59:08

Mmmhmm sounds kind of weird. Unless there is flowing conversation or mass smartphone browsing happening instead, of course. Also sounds like my idea of hell! Is getting really drunk then going to bed an option?

NiceCardigan Wed 25-Oct-17 21:59:43

Are you on holiday with my ILs?! I don't get the muting thing either.

Assburgers Wed 25-Oct-17 22:08:04

I mute them because they’re so much louder than the programme. They shout at you. And the music is shit. I don’t watch the TV the whole time though, just the to the end of the ad break to make sure I don’t miss what I’m watching.

PonderLand Wed 25-Oct-17 22:09:10

My parents mute the tv for the adverts and it's absolutely bonkers. They sit and watch the adverts and sometimes discuss them if it's an interesting one. I really don't understand it, I think it's partly because they don't want to feel like their 'conforming' to the advertising.

Outbackshack Wed 25-Oct-17 22:11:20

When I'm back with my family, my sister and I noticed this so now we have to shout out what the advert is for. Sounds stupid (and is) but makes for more entertaining muted break.

YolandiFuckinVisser Wed 25-Oct-17 22:12:40

DH does this, he mutes the ads and watches them (and complains about them) with the sound off, occasionally turning the sound back on if he thinks it might be an interesting one. Very odd behaviour!

DameBaggySmith Wed 25-Oct-17 23:19:23

Unfortunately getting drunk is not an option as I’m bf’ing my 4 month old, this is also the reason I am usually unable to use the hot tub too. Which would be a nice escape from being in the house, with all the back stabbing and bitchy comments. Argggh!

laketaupo Wed 25-Oct-17 23:30:11

Don't see why you can't use the hot tub whilst not breastfeeding ?

DameBaggySmith Wed 25-Oct-17 23:38:30

Baby is cluster feeding at the mo...otherwise i would

Birdsgottafly Thu 26-Oct-17 00:41:39

It might be an age thing, as we age, we can get overwhelmed, like a sensory overload that toddlers have.

Many Women find when they are going through the Menopause, they need things to slow/quite down.

You can pick your program, but not the adverts.

EvilRinguBitch Thu 26-Oct-17 00:45:37

I don’t see what’s odd about it. If you’re watching live then you can turn the sound down for the ads because a) they tend to be louder than the programmes b) you don’t care what they’re saying so you can chat to your family more easily with them off. But you keep your eyes on the telly so you can unmute it promptly when the ads are over.

Floralnomad Thu 26-Oct-17 00:51:25

On the rare occasion that there are adverts in a programme I am watching I often mute them , mainly because they drive me mad . My particular bugbears at the moment are the AA ads with the ghastly singing / miming child , anything involving Andrex asking children stupid questions , the Boots audiology ad with the old man band , the nationwide poems and anything that involves people over 50 , planning a funeral , paying for a funeral , taking out life cover or buying frozen ready meals .

Intercom Thu 26-Oct-17 00:55:16

I mute them! They're too loud and it gives you a few minutes to chat. I guess they still catch your eye though, and you need to see when the programme re-starts.

sueelleker Thu 26-Oct-17 11:13:00

Sometimes I just can't bear the announcer's voice.

Time40 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:21:53

I don’t see what’s odd about it. If you’re watching live then you can turn the sound down for the ads because a) they tend to be louder than the programmes b) you don’t care what they’re saying so you can chat to your family more easily with them off. But you keep your eyes on the telly so you can unmute it promptly when the ads are over.

Same here.

user1497357411 Thu 26-Oct-17 11:24:35

We mute them as they are annoying, but will still stay on that channel as otherwise we'll either miss when the programme starts again or we'll end up watching another show.

And .... erm maybe you could be less judgey. I mean seriously: is this important to you? Does everything have to be done the way you would do it? Are there only two ways of doing things: your way or the wrong way?

DameBaggySmith Thu 26-Oct-17 22:29:14

Not sure how you have decided that everything has to be my way because I’ve asked a question? As you can see above I’m not the only person who thinks this is odd.

Thanks for other people’s replies, I agree the AA advert is annoying! I take other peoples point that it makes it less annoying and that the volume is too loud on the adverts, However we were sitting in silence watching the muted tv, so no other conversation happening unfortunately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now