Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask what I can do?

(13 Posts)
MemeGirls Wed 25-Oct-17 21:32:12

I am a single mum with two children of primary school age. I have a BSc in Psychology and I want to now do a Masters but I’m unsure what subject would suit me best.
I have the opportunity to take a year out of employment and retrain/ further my education in order to hopefully start a proper career path.
The problem is I don’t know what Masters degrees I would be qualified or what fields of work I would be able to get in to.
I’m lively, extremely hard working and very motivated. I had my first DC straight out of university so I haven’t had a chance to utilise my degree yet and have ended up in numerous sales roles as they suited my home life.
I need a career which won’t require working overnight or long trips away as I am a single parent.
Any suggestions? I’m really stumped here confused

OutlawFromHell Wed 25-Oct-17 21:37:02

What do you enjoy? Are you a people person (social work or teaching) or do you want a more corporate life style (hr or similar)?

MemeGirls Wed 25-Oct-17 21:39:16

I’ve very sociable but teaching would be my last option (except the obvious perks of term time only work).
I’m good at corporate and worked for a few years in a very corporate industry.
I wonder if there are any careers advisors for adults like myself I can speak to who could give me some direction?

MemeGirls Wed 25-Oct-17 21:40:27

Social work would also not be pheasible due to the long unpredictable hours. Two of my close friends are social workers who regularly end up in court until 8pm at night

Aquamarine1029 Wed 25-Oct-17 21:43:47

What about Human Resources?

MemeGirls Wed 25-Oct-17 21:44:46

Aquamarine that’s definitely one to look at, thanks

Leatherboundanddown Wed 25-Oct-17 21:47:50

Are you reliant on any type of benefits at all? Just mentioning as if you currently claim tax credits this could be a really bad time to take a break from work and go to full time study due to the introduction of Universal Credit. Just something to think about.

TheatreTaxi Wed 25-Oct-17 21:56:46

Speech and language therapy? Quite a few Masters courses available for SLT training, and a Psychology undergraduate degree would be a good foundation.

MemeGirls Wed 25-Oct-17 22:00:34

Leather I have been for the last few years, but my parents have offered for us to live with them for a year or two so I can get further qualified and earn enough money to support us independently. The universal credit roll out is precisely why I’m going to do this now

Coffeeonadrip Wed 25-Oct-17 22:06:20

With psychology degree and experience in corporate or business world you could look into executive coaching, hr, learning and development, recruitment etc. What are your interests?

Aquamarine1029 Wed 25-Oct-17 22:11:30

You could also get a Masters in marketing. A psych degree combined with a marketing degree is excellent.

MemeGirls Wed 25-Oct-17 22:22:57

Thank you for your helpful replies xx

Leatherboundanddown Wed 25-Oct-17 22:55:57

Ok Meme that is great of your parents. I would have done the same.

What sort of job would you like to do afterwards?

Eg helping people? Leadership?.fast paced? Desk based? Lots of different locations? This could help narrow it down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now