Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can a smile replace thank you?

(12 Posts)
OnASummersDay Wed 25-Oct-17 19:50:52

Sometimes when the door is held open for me, or someone moves to allow me to pass, I try to say thank you and no sound comes out! I don’t know if it’s a form of social anxiety as it only happens with people I don’t know.

I end up smiling like an idiot to make up for it!

Can a smile ever replace saying thank you or am I being really rude?!

Sirzy Wed 25-Oct-17 19:51:39

You have acknowledged the action in a positive way so it wouldn’t bother me!

grannysmiff Wed 25-Oct-17 19:52:47

Of course it can. Sometimes its even more touching just to be smiled at.

whoareyoukidding Wed 25-Oct-17 19:52:52

A lot of people don't acknowledge the door being held open at all, so a smile is fine smile

relevantstuff Wed 25-Oct-17 19:52:54

Sounds fine to me!

peachy94 Wed 25-Oct-17 20:00:38

I do the no noise thankyou too! Glad to know I'm not alone. I think its fine, but OH things it's rude. He is slightly passive aggressive about manners though hmm

OnASummersDay Wed 25-Oct-17 20:03:47

Glad to see most people don’t think it’s rude! It bothers me a lot as I get stressed that people behind me think I’m ignoring the gesture confused probably overthinking though!

StandardPoodle Wed 25-Oct-17 20:17:39

If for some reason I'd struggle to say thank you when someone holds a door open for me (e.g. sore throat, bad cold), I usually smile and nod in acknowledgement.

bertsdinner Wed 25-Oct-17 20:24:45

A smile is fine, or a nod and a smile. You are acknowledging the door opener so I think it's ok.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Wed 25-Oct-17 20:26:14

I nod and smile. I'm socially inept And just can't talk to strangers

SantanicoPandemonium Wed 25-Oct-17 20:35:05

When random strangers smile at me, it always brightens my day for a wee while - keep smiling grin

MipMipMip Wed 25-Oct-17 21:00:05

I hate it when people are passive aggressive about manners. To me it's really rude! Manners are basically about making others feel comfortable so highlighting their bad manners highlights your own (hope that makes sense).

To answer the AIBU: as far as I'm concerned a thank you (or a please) can be, and often is, implied. And a smile is a good way to do that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now