Talk

Advanced search

Being called a fucking knob?

(51 Posts)
RainbowsAndCrystals Wed 25-Oct-17 18:39:04

I'll try and keep it short. Driving up a road to turn left onto a busy road. Cars parked on the left so it's almost always one lane, and people turning down into the same road I am.

I drive up by the parked cars, woman in front indicating. Then she stops, a few cars start building up behind me.

She then gets out of her car storms up to me and says I'm a fucking knob and I could see she was indicating to park there.

confused I really couldn't, she was indicating as if she was turning left at the end of the road.

I said I didn't and that as there's someone right behind me, and another car trying to turn into the road there was literally no where I could go.

She carried on ranting so I put the window up on her.

TheQueenOfWands Wed 25-Oct-17 18:40:46

Actions speak louder than words.

Her gob said 'knob', her behaviour says 'bigger knob'.

messyjessy17 Wed 25-Oct-17 18:42:55

Meh, she was trying to park and you stopped her?

I'd probably say fucking knob too. But only inside my head, as I'm nice.

Wolfiefan Wed 25-Oct-17 18:44:02

How were you stopping her parking? Was she trying to reverse park?
She was charming BTW!

Sirzy Wed 25-Oct-17 18:47:24

You shouldn’t have assumed though presumably you were blocking the space? If I see someone indicate on a road with parking where there is a space I would make sure I didn’t block that space incase that was were they planned on going

She was rude though and shouldn’t have called you names.

Stillpissingdown Wed 25-Oct-17 18:49:09

I probably would have got out of my car and punched her in the face.

I'm aware I have anger issues.

messyjessy17 Wed 25-Oct-17 18:49:56

I probably would have got out of my car and punched her in the face

She would have been right to call you a fucking knob then.

JonSnowsWife Wed 25-Oct-17 18:54:09

I drive up by the parked cars, woman in front indicating. Then she stops, a few cars start building up behind me.

She then gets out of her car storms up to me and says I'm a fucking knob and I could see she was indicating to park there.

Do you mean you tried to overtake her to also go left?

InfiniteSheldon Wed 25-Oct-17 18:55:44

She's right you were a knob but was wrong to tell you. Indicating can be ambiguous and you should have been more aware.

WhatwouldAryado Wed 25-Oct-17 18:56:24

Did you stop behind her or did you go around her?

OnlyGlowingSlightly Wed 25-Oct-17 18:57:24

It shakes you, when someone is aggressive like that, and you can end up going over and over it. But really it's best to put it behind you.

When traffic is really busy, most people stop before the space, indicate for a few minutes while making eye contact with the person behind, and only then move forward slowly to back into the space (London driver here).

If she didn't do that, the mistake was hers. If she did, perhaps you should have realised. But if you haven't seen it before/were thinking about other things - well, that happens. Whichever it was: people make mistakes.

Shouting at you wasn't cool. But again - people get stressed sometimes. Maybe she was late/stressed/hormonal/having a really bad day.

My new favourite quote (from another thread) is perfect here. "Chuck it in the fuck it bucket and move on."

WhatwouldAryado Wed 25-Oct-17 19:00:14

If you had gone around but were then in the way of the space then clearly had recognised she was parking.
If you stopped behind her all she had to do was put her car in reverse (but remain stationary)as you then would be aware of the manoeuvre.
Of course there is the matter of how far from the junction you are talking about. A lot of people think it is OK to park obstructing a junction. Obviously it's not.

RainbowsAndCrystals Wed 25-Oct-17 19:03:09

I didn't overtake her. She was at the end of the road indicating left. I made the assumption that she was turning left, not reversing.

JonSnowsWife Wed 25-Oct-17 19:04:28

I ask because the route to DCs schoo has the same sort of set up. You turn left into the main road, all along that road is parking spaces before you turn off.

If I had a pound for every single car that tries to squeeze its fat arse through that gap because it cant bloody wait sixty seconds I'd be a millionaire already.

So if that sort of set up I can completely see where she's coming from, yes calling you a fucking knob was excessive but my guess is you're probably the 20th person to do it to her this month.

Every morning without fail, I wikl

PoorYorick Wed 25-Oct-17 19:04:53

If she was so near the end of the road that you thought she was exiting, it was likely too near the corner for her to be parking there anyway.

whoareyoukidding Wed 25-Oct-17 19:05:06

A lot of people are vile once they get behind the wheel of a car. Just forget about it.

JonSnowsWife Wed 25-Oct-17 19:05:22

She was at the end of the road indicating left.

So where was she parking then if she was at the end of the road? confused

whoputthecatout Wed 25-Oct-17 19:06:45

Sounds like she might have been parking too close to the junction anyway as she was at the end of the road OP.

JonSnowsWife Wed 25-Oct-17 19:07:21

Please ignore the last bit of my other post. My thumbs ran away with themselves.

SeaToSki Wed 25-Oct-17 19:09:12

If she wanted you to know she wanted to reverse into the parking spot, she should have put the car into reverse so the white lights would come on and show she was waiting to back up. Then you would know what she was waiting to do. Anyway she sound very unpleasant and I'm glad you put the window up on her.

QueenUnicorn Wed 25-Oct-17 19:10:46

We clearly need a diagram...

JonSnowsWife Wed 25-Oct-17 19:11:23

Agree QueenUnicorn

Squarerouteofsquirrel Wed 25-Oct-17 19:14:59

It’s not a great idea to try and reverse park on a road, especially with other moving vehicles behind you. It’s bad enough trying to do it on a car park. She should have done what a pp said indicate and stop and forward park. She sounds like she was having a bad day, or maybe she’s just a bit of knob herself.

Try to let it go and not dwell on it, there’s nothing you can do about it now.

Vitalogy Wed 25-Oct-17 19:15:22

She sounds like a knobhead with no knob.

messyjessy17 Wed 25-Oct-17 19:18:56

I'd guess she wanted to paralell park, not reverse into a space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now