Talk

Advanced search

Straw-poll please - Do you make breakfast for your DH /DP?

(343 Posts)
rumginger Wed 25-Oct-17 17:42:47

I told DH at 8am I would put this on MN and give him feedback, but he has no clue about this really.

I do usually make him breakfast in the mornings because I'm doing it for the DC as well, so fine. However, we're now into the second week of half-term which means I don't strictly need to be up at 6.30, but I'm kind of in the habit and the cats need feeding anyway. So this morning I had made him poached eggs with salmon on muffins and this is what he actually said to me - "Is there no hollandaise sauce with this?"

Firstly, as if anyone can be bothered to be faffing with egg yolks that early. Secondly, I told him most people would be lucky to get breakfast made for them at all. I don't think I am BU, but could MN please confirm that he is on his own planet to even ask such a question?

Thankyou.

afrikat Wed 25-Oct-17 17:45:26

Erm no. My husband usually does the kids breakfasts in this house though. We both sort ourselves out. Every so often if he's making breakfasts and I'm watching the kids he'll do mine too but it's just porridge, nothing faffy.

Cakesprinkles Wed 25-Oct-17 17:45:31

People make each other breakfast?! Dear god on school days DS and I eat brioche and bananas on the run/in the car. I don’t even know what DH eats for breakfast and we’ve been together 16 years grin he does always make tea in the mornings though. On the very very rare occasion (twice a year maybe?!) that we would have a fry up or something whoever wanted to cook would cook for everyone.

AlternativeTentacle Wed 25-Oct-17 17:46:45

Nope. i do if i am making the same for me, on holiday or at the weekend, but usually he has already had something by then.
Hollandaise sauce? Fuck that for a laugh. what a pisstaker.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 25-Oct-17 17:48:12

No, dh makes his own and always has, even when the ds's were little.

Flyingprettycretonnecurtains Wed 25-Oct-17 17:48:35

No. I've been happily married for 28 years. I might on a weekend do brunch FOR ALL OF US. Your husband needs to buy you a VERY LARGE BUNCH OF FLOWERS and you must stop cooking breakfast for him. He can feed the cats can't he? Stay in bed. Sorry about the shouty capitals but feel he needs things spelling out to him.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Wed 25-Oct-17 17:49:09

The hollandaise comment would have made me extremely pissed off, was he serious or having a joke?

LaChatte Wed 25-Oct-17 17:49:29

DH stared doing my breakfast when I was pregnant with DD and never stopped (he always wakes and gets up before me) DD is now 8. It's only toast and tea but I'm extremely grateful and the only comment I make is to say thank you! Your DH was unbelievably rude.

ijustwannadance Wed 25-Oct-17 17:49:46

No. You're a mug. My 6yo can get her own cereal. I wouldn't 'cook' a breakfast for anyone and certainly wouldn't get up early to do it.

RatRolyPoly Wed 25-Oct-17 17:49:58

Ha, no! Dp takes the toddler downstairs and fixes both of their breakfasts whilst I lie in bed breastfeeding fix the baby's.

Somerville Wed 25-Oct-17 17:50:39

Erm, no.
Except his birthday.
He makes me breakfast at the moment because I'm breastfeeding which he seems to think means I'll waste away if he doesn't feed me regularly. (I'm not telling him different.)
But usually we make our own breakfasts. The kids too, from age 6+.

DramaAlpaca Wed 25-Oct-17 17:51:32

I've been with DH for almost 30 years and I can honestly say I've never made him breakfast.

He brings me a cup of tea in bed before he leaves for work though.

We just do cereal & toast in this house usually, we don't have time to cook anything at breakfast.

Littlecaf Wed 25-Oct-17 17:51:38

No. He does toddler breakfast & might bring me a cuppa when I'm feeding baby in bed.

He dies often do weekend breakfast though

Haveyoutriedturningitoffandon Wed 25-Oct-17 17:52:00

Hahahahahahahahaha!! No.
Dh and I will make breakfast for each other if asked (but we rarely do) and occasionally will bring the other a cuppa if feeling particularly spritely, but no. He's a grown up, as am I. We make and eat our own. Whoever is around (we alternate mornings at the gym before work) will get the kids sorted.
if my dh was ever that cheeky to me he'd be wearing his breakfast
Hollandaise sauce indeed. hmm and when, pray tell, does he make YOU breakfast? brew

Fantasticday69 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:52:10

No way.

Shoxfordian Wed 25-Oct-17 17:52:21

We don't have children

I make him breakfast on the weekend or we go to the local cafe. During the week we sort ourselves out as we both work full time..

Shoxfordian Wed 25-Oct-17 17:52:42

Oh and your husband is an ungrateful entitled arse

SomethingNewToday Wed 25-Oct-17 17:52:55

Poached egg and salmon on muffins for a random Wednesday morning breakfast? Dh would feel lucky if he got a slice of toast out of me at that time.

Midweek breakfast here is wholemeal toast with a variety of spreads, natural yoghurt or porridge/cereal with fruit.

My 9 and 7 year olds make their own every morning so I'm not about to start making another adults hmm

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 25-Oct-17 17:53:20

DH leaves the house at 6:15am and usually wakes the toddler up , so absolutely not. Half the time I don't even make him dinner as he doesn't get home til 8pm ish.

Zeitgei5t Wed 25-Oct-17 17:53:25

No. Even on the days where he's been poorly and I have it's been porridge in the microwave not poached egg and salmon on muffins! Can I come to your house for breakfast?

milkchocolatx5 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:54:01

nope - not during the week. We are both working, different starting times.

We have breakfast together Sat/Sun and I sometimes prepare it for the whole family, sometimes DH takes care of it.

arethereanyleftatall Wed 25-Oct-17 17:54:28

No

BertieBotts Wed 25-Oct-17 17:54:37

DH eats breakfast at work. I rarely have any.

The only time either of us ever makes breakfast for the other it's a weekend/bank holiday and about 12pm and we've only just shuffled out of bed.

mangomama91 Wed 25-Oct-17 17:54:43

I offer to make my dh breakfast and a cuppa sometimes when I'm making breakfast and I know he's awake. But he's not really a breakfast person anyways

ClumsyFool Wed 25-Oct-17 17:55:17

No kids here yet but on work days we sort ourselves out, I’m usually out the house well before him but if we have a day off together then he does us both breakfast. I’m not sure why or how it happened that way and I certainly don’t expect him to do it and always appreciate it. Would never dream of criticising something, your DH is BVU!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now