Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To ask for help creating a marshmallow cloud bed

(21 Posts)
grannysmiff Wed 25-Oct-17 15:37:40

Ok so I really got my shit together lately in one area of my life and I want to reward myself by turning my horrible bed into a marshmallow cloud experience.

I stayed in this airbnb and the woman's duvet was like a dream. The duvet was incredibly thick and plush, suprr voluminous yet really light.

I have no idea what im looking for and no nothing about duvets, can someone tell me the kind of thing i need to be googling here???

youmeandconchitawurst Wed 25-Oct-17 15:38:51

siberian goose down

FlaviaAlbia Wed 25-Oct-17 15:39:18

Possibly a feather and down duvet? They're much lighter and fluffier than other types I've tried.

prettypaws Wed 25-Oct-17 15:40:29

Ask the owner?

2014newme Wed 25-Oct-17 15:40:38

Goose down.

2014newme Wed 25-Oct-17 15:40:55

And a mattress topper

grannysmiff Wed 25-Oct-17 15:44:54

When they go on about fill weight, what does this mean concretely?

AnnaleeP Wed 25-Oct-17 15:45:04

Yeah a down duvet.

Though the best quality ones are made for using outdoors. Some companies will let you spec your own if you've really got money to burn.

AnnaleeP Wed 25-Oct-17 15:47:25

Fill power is measured by the cubic inches an ounce of down will fill. The higher the better.

What fill weight is I have no idea.

KanyeWesticle Wed 25-Oct-17 15:48:14

Yep - feather or down. My MIL has Feather & Black brand, super pricey but lovely. Put me off my cheaper polyester ones. I've since bought us new duvets and mattress toppers - Tesco's Fox and Ivy stuff. It's lovely, really good quality for the price.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 25-Oct-17 15:50:23

Good mattress. Down mattress topper. Down duvet. Down pillows (I like a fibre or bean pillow underneath the down pillow). Cotton sheets - highest thread count you can afford. (My friend swears by silk stuffed duvets and silk sheets but I find silk sheets horrible on my skin.)

grannysmiff Wed 25-Oct-17 15:50:36

Whats the point of a mattress topper?

splendide Wed 25-Oct-17 15:50:37

Mine is wool and I love it!

grannysmiff Wed 25-Oct-17 15:51:39

@AnnaleeP

Im guessing fill weight is another way of saying fill power. Does this mean the higher the number the more voluminous the duvet? Cuz that's my priority!

sparechange Wed 25-Oct-17 15:53:39

The light and fluffy duvets are made from Down, and the colder the country where the geese live, the lighter but warmer it is
So Siberian down is best.

But please please please buy it from a reputable retailer which ethically sources their down, because the cheap duvets are made from down which comes from places with dreadful animal welfare

A topper needs to be a mix between feather and down to stop it being flattened when you sleep on it

FlaviaAlbia Wed 25-Oct-17 15:53:50

TK Maxx have down duvets in fairly regularly if you want to get a bargain too.

BiscuitTinClarabel Wed 25-Oct-17 15:55:28

Highly recommend John Lewis feather and down mattress topper. Ours makes me sigh with happiness every time I get into bed. Sooo soft and cosy.

AnnaleeP Wed 25-Oct-17 16:28:00

@grannysmiff

The higher the number the less it will weigh for a given size and the warmer it will be.

FabulouslyGlamorousFerret Wed 25-Oct-17 16:35:22

Yes, without sounding twatty make sure it’s ethically sourced. I think ours was from Next.

abbsisspartacus Wed 25-Oct-17 16:41:48

IKEA is good I stayed at an air bnb and the bedding was all from IKEA and it was fantastic

tigerdriverII Wed 25-Oct-17 16:46:20

I have a white company synthetic duvet as I'm allergic to all those feathers. Can't remember what it's called but it's the nicest duvet!

Mattress toppers: huge hot uncomfortable disappointment in my opinion. A decent bed and top quality sheets do it for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now