Talk

Advanced search

To say no to a brand new house

(39 Posts)
000adviceplease Wed 25-Oct-17 10:23:06

Hi, I currently have a 3 bed semi two living rooms and small kitchen. It’s me and my son (who has autism) who live here. I have been waiting on a 2 bed house and have been offered a new build- however the bedrooms and lounge are tiny (you can fit a single bed and wardrobe in the smaller bedroom and even then you are sleeping against the wall) and the double bedroom is a double bed and one one wardrobe). We have more space in current house as it’s an older style 1930s. However the current house has mice infestation every year noisy neighbours (dogs) and needs a new bathroom which the ha are dragging their heels on. I need to decide fairly quickly but the upshot is my son Doesn’t like the idea of a tiny room and doesn’t want to feel hemmed in. The new house is mid terraced and not sure how noisy the new builds are. I know how much in demand a 3 bed is and the ha lady was quite excited to be possibly getting a 3 bed back. I’m a ft student and can not afford a private rental so that isnt option any help
Appreciated

SantanicoPandemonium Wed 25-Oct-17 10:25:44

If noisy dogs are the only neighbour issues, I'd stay where you are - a terraced house has double the neighbours, and more chance of noise.

The mice can be got rid of and you can make do with the kitchen, it you can't create space in a small house.

SantanicoPandemonium Wed 25-Oct-17 10:26:33

That should have said bathroom, not kitchen confused

Ttbb Wed 25-Oct-17 10:27:56

In a midterraced new build the noise will be very bad. Just say you won't move for me as it will unsettle your son and hopefully this will spur them on to fix the bathroom. Have you considered getting a cat for the mice?

000adviceplease Wed 25-Oct-17 10:28:51

Thank you for your reply santanico. I also have the right to acquire on this current house. Which is a possibility after I’ve finished uni. I have laid traps for the mice. It’s just when you get a shiny new house you are swayed. But realistically I’d have to buy all new furniture plus new beds as all too big.

aaaaargghhhhelpme Wed 25-Oct-17 10:32:05

Would there be any repercussions of you not taking the house? Sorry I don't know the process - would it mean you go to the back of the queue?!

It doesn't sound ideal and if your son has an issue with it id say that to them.

The mice and bathroom are an issue. Is getting a professional exterminator an option?

Maelstrop Wed 25-Oct-17 10:32:47

Traps for mice are good, but you need to find out where they're getting in and black ck the holes, which may be tiny. Stay where you are rather than have a tiny house.

ownedbySWD Wed 25-Oct-17 10:34:33

Stay put! I know someone who had a lovely new build and less than a year later the stairs collapsed. Put me off new builds entirely....

Findingdotty Wed 25-Oct-17 10:37:21

I wouldn't move. If they really want the three bed back they will find you something that will suit your son's needs better. Terrace houses are often loud and if your son has noisy from the neighbours through the bedroom wall and then it's small as well he may struggle.

I second getting a cat.

000adviceplease Wed 25-Oct-17 10:40:09

I’m not sure whether I’d stay on the list but I only got considered because another lady refused because of the size also.

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 25-Oct-17 10:45:41

Stay put get a cat from the rescue centre for the mouse problem and start ringing the HA daily about doing your bathroom.

New build and terrace I would think the noise would be worse and you could end up tip toeing around your house frightened of disturbing the neighbours.
Another vote to stay put

MrsOverTheRoad Wed 25-Oct-17 10:47:52

Stay where you are and get a cat!

Marcipex Wed 25-Oct-17 10:50:36

Stay put and sort out the mice.
I'd hate a mid terrace new build. Everyone says they can hear everything sad

DeloresJaneUmbridge Wed 25-Oct-17 10:54:16

I’d stay where you are too. I do understand being swayed by a shiny new house though grin

My son is also autistic and I totally understand what you mean about your son not wanting to feel hemmed in. My son is exactly the same where that’s concerned.

It’s disappointing to hear that a new build is so badly designed though. I thought these days that doors had to accommodate wheelchairs and the same for kitchens and bathrooms. Then again I guess they think if there are stairs then there won’t be a need for wheelchair accessibility.

SilverSpot Wed 25-Oct-17 10:54:18

I'd stay and put time/effort/money into sorting the mouse problem out.

RiversrunWoodville Wed 25-Oct-17 10:56:40

I'd stay put doesn't sound like it would suit at all

DanHumphreyIsA Wed 25-Oct-17 11:02:09

I’d also stay put. I used to work for HA and we had no end of major issues with new builds. Coincidentally, I also dealt with a tenant whose stairs collapsed.
Also had issues with main drainage backing up and flooding several terraces in a row, and many more problems.
They were in worse condition than older properties.

mapie Wed 25-Oct-17 11:02:46

Sounds like a "better the devil you know" situation.

You can do so much to your existing house if you buy it one day, and the new one won't be new for long but will always be tiny.

BlueSapp Wed 25-Oct-17 11:03:06

don't accept, if it doesn't feel right for you and your son, wait til a sutable property comes around, by moving you will not slove any problems only create different ones.

Solo Wed 25-Oct-17 11:03:48

Get a cat for the mouse problem. A friend of mine had mice in an old Victorian terrace and tried everything to get rid of them over the years. In the end, she got a cat and the mice were never seen again!
I'd keep the bigger house especially as you could buy it when in a position to do so and your son would be happier too.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 25-Oct-17 11:05:32

Are you/likely to be subject to the bedroom tax?

CoolCarrie Wed 25-Oct-17 11:08:20

Don't move, get a cat which your son will enjoy, and the mice won't! HA should sort out your kitchen.

Fontella Wed 25-Oct-17 11:08:52

000adviceplease

I'd stay put if I were you. A niece of mine with a young son made the mistake of swapping a spacious three bed HA property for a brand new small 2 bed one and she hated it. She is now renting privately and paying a fortune every month because couldn't bear staying there a moment longer, couldn't find anyone to swap with her, and the HA wouldn't rehouse her.

I have had problems with mice ever since I've been here. Put down traps, mouse repellent spray everywhere, cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil, bleaching every surface (they hate ammonia apparently) all to no avail.

I bought one of those plug in things that apparently transmit a signal that only the rodents can hear, and also sends a current through the electrical system of the house - and which everyone told me were shite and wouldn't work. The blurb tells you it won't get rid of mic that are already in situ, but it will deter any new mice from entering, and I was that desperate I bought one.

I also blocked up two gaps under my kitchen units with steel wool and nailed on wood - not sure if they were coming in through there or not but it was a possibility as when sighted they would disappear down the back of my cooker, or under fridge or washing machine in the general vicinity of where these gaps were.

Finally I cut down a climbing plant that came up close to my kitchen window as the pest man suggested that they used it as a sort of climbing frame to come in through the window when it was open. It sounds daft, but one morning I did have the window open and saw one running along the kitchen window sill, so it could well have come in that way.

Anyway, the combination of doing these three things has kept the mice away. I haven't had sight or sound of one for well over a year now. I don't know if the plug in thing has anything to do with it or not (the cynics will say not), but I keep it plugged in all the time in the kitchen and it is very reassuring to see it blinking away (it has a little light on it to let you know it is working), even if it is actually doing nothing!!

chipscheeseandgravy Wed 25-Oct-17 11:09:30

What would happen if you refuse the house? We were on a HA list for a while and I think you were only allowed to refuse x2 properties. Housing wasn’t in a massive demand in our area like other areas, so may be wise to check out the rules.
If I had the option of a 1930’s house which I assume is probably cold and draughty I would want out, especially if you have mice.
I’m in a new build and we don’t have an issue with noisy neighbours. Although this will totally depend on your neighbours. Don’t think we here any noise from them aside from if they do DIY and they have a drill going etc. The space within the bedrooms isn’t a massive issue aside from your son not liking being ‘hemmed in’, could you take the smaller room to give him the extra space?
Another way of looking at it, is how long have you been on the list, and how quickly are you going to be offered a new property? It your desperate to move and it’s going to be another 6 months that would prompt me to take the new house.

chipscheeseandgravy Wed 25-Oct-17 11:11:52

Forgot to add , if your only entitled to a 2 bed you will find that the second bedroom will be small, just like if you have a 3 bed you get 2 ok sized rooms and then a tiny 3rd room. At least that’s what I’ve found when looking for new houses etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now