Talk

Advanced search

Woman on bus got people to move for her toddler

(364 Posts)
questioning1 Wed 25-Oct-17 10:04:13

Not sure whether AIBU or not. Was on the rush hour bus this morning (in London) sitting on one of those raised high up seats at the very front of the bus.

A lady with a baby in a pram and a toddler (maybe 3?) got on the bus. She walked down the aisle past me and parked her pram, and said to the bus at large, 'Can someone move for my son please?'

I was always brought up to think that children make room for adults - for example they give up a seat for someone, not the other way round. Anyway a few mins later I turned around again and the woman was sitting in a priority seat with her son on her lap!

AIBU to think that 1) she shouldn't have asked for a seat for her son and 2) she shouldn't have sat in a priority seat herself once it had been vacated?

She then got off two stops later! I'm genuinely not sure if it's just me or not.

Peeetle Wed 25-Oct-17 10:06:26

I’d definitely stand up for a woman with a buggy and a young kid. Otherwise she has to hold on with one hand, hold her kid’s hand with the other and leave the baby in the buggy to its own devices.

Ttbb Wed 25-Oct-17 10:06:41

A child that age would go flying if the bus stopped suddenly so would really need the seat. Adults don't (generally). I must admit I wouldn't have asked even if I was on crutches but she was being reasonable in asking.

Artistic Wed 25-Oct-17 10:06:59

It's quite hard to keep a 3 year old safe in a moving bus. With a baby in pram I think it was the safe thing to do. As long as she was polite what's the problem?

SleepFreeZone Wed 25-Oct-17 10:07:18

I probably would get up for a young kid too

Witsender Wed 25-Oct-17 10:07:56

A 3 yr old should be allowed to sit down, common sense dictates that an able bodied adult is far more capable of standing on a moving bus than a nigh on toddler.

2014newme Wed 25-Oct-17 10:07:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

stitchglitched Wed 25-Oct-17 10:07:59

Toddlers aren't steady enough to stand safely on buses. I don't see the problem, she made a polite general request and someone was willing to move for her.

halcyondays Wed 25-Oct-17 10:08:10

A healthy adult is much more capable of standing on a bus without falling than a toddler.

Sandsunsea Wed 25-Oct-17 10:08:11

She shouldn't have to ask.

RatRolyPoly Wed 25-Oct-17 10:08:46

The person in the priority seat (assuming they themselves weren't a priority) will have known they were first in line to stand if someone needed that seat more. I think she was justified in asking.

questioning1 Wed 25-Oct-17 10:09:16

I just wouldn't personally have done it! As a child I was always chivvied around to make things easier for adults and it never did me any harm. Oh well, I can see I'm alone in my opinion!

I don't think I would have noticed as much had she not taken the seat herself. Although she was very polite about it!

Passmethecrisps Wed 25-Oct-17 10:09:31

I get up for children on trains and busses as it just feels safer for them to be sitting. A child of maybe 10 I accept maybe could stand but younger than that and I would be happy moving

Glumglowworm Wed 25-Oct-17 10:10:33

A three year old needs a seat on the bus more than a healthy able bodied adult because they're very likely to go flying if the bus stops and can't reach to hold onto anything

Yabu

araiwa Wed 25-Oct-17 10:10:58

I would have offered my seat to a lone parent with a baby in pram and toddler.

Perhaps its because im not an absolute thundertwat

CauliflowerSqueeze Wed 25-Oct-17 10:11:17

I’m with you OP.
The rest of MN disagrees though.

Crispbutty Wed 25-Oct-17 10:11:18

As she sat Ruth her child on her lap I can't see a problem.

RatRolyPoly Wed 25-Oct-17 10:11:21

Things have changed OP, kids used to be seen and not heard. Now that only happens if you give them an iPad grin

Witsender Wed 25-Oct-17 10:11:24

She sat on the seat with the child on her lap. Entirely fair enough. Why shouldn't adults shuffle around for a child's safety? We used to do all sorts of things, doesn't make them right...why wouldn't you want a 3 year old to be seated safely? Especially as an adult can stand safely? I wouldn't have asked, but I would have offered.

MiddleClassProblem Wed 25-Oct-17 10:11:28

Priority seat say it’s for elderly, those less able, pregnant and people with small kids.

Toddlers don’t have the weight or coordination to stand

Sandsunsea Wed 25-Oct-17 10:11:48

It's easier to control a 3 year old and keep from falling by sitting with the child on your knee rather than holding the child onto a seat with one hand whilst holding yourself and buggy with your other one on a jerky bumpy bus. Of course she sat on the chair with him on her knee.

Crispbutty Wed 25-Oct-17 10:11:49

With not Ruth... no idea who Ruth is! 😂

Hidingalion Wed 25-Oct-17 10:12:02

Yup, with the others here. A three year old can easily get knocked over and can't see/hold on. Plus very young ones might be tired - less stamina than adults. That's why we have priority seats. If you are ill or live with a disability or are more vulnerable e.g. very old or young I think you should be allowed to sit down.

CauliflowerSqueeze Wed 25-Oct-17 10:12:04

Yes - she can sit her 3 year old on her lap and hold onto the buggy.

Lethaldrizzle Wed 25-Oct-17 10:12:22

As long as she didn't start breastfeeding as well!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now