Talk

Advanced search

Friend and photo frames

(49 Posts)
Bananasplit47 Wed 25-Oct-17 07:36:05

For my closest friend's recent birthday, I got some (what I thought were) lovely photos of us printed off and got some cute little frames. She seemed to really like them.
I went round to her house the other day and she has taken the photos of us out and replaced them with photos of her with other friends.
AIBU to be upset about this? I know it's a gift and you can do what you want with it once its been given to you, but I don't think I'd do something like this.

NancyDonahue Wed 25-Oct-17 07:38:37

Maybe she likes to swap them around regularly? Looking at the same photo all the time can get a bit boring.

Unless she chucked your photo in the bin wink

MadMags Wed 25-Oct-17 07:39:26

Has she any photos of the two of you together?!

MonkeyJumping Wed 25-Oct-17 07:40:05

She may prefer how she looks in the other photos?

Bananasplit47 Wed 25-Oct-17 07:40:54

Nancy - it was her birthday last week and I went round two days ago!
Mad mags - not anymore...

CosmicStrider Wed 25-Oct-17 07:41:03

I don't think YABU. That would sting a bit. Did she say anything?

Caulk Wed 25-Oct-17 07:42:07

I agree with PP, maybe she doesn’t like the way she looks? I would have just made a joke of it- “Oi, what happened to the photos of us in those frames! Were you jealous of how amazing I looked?”
Just ask her about it if it’s really bothering you.

Notanumberuser Wed 25-Oct-17 07:42:42

That’s a bit weird.

NancyDonahue Wed 25-Oct-17 07:44:32

Ok I didn't realise it was that recent!

I am inclined to agree with she doesn't like the way she looks. I hate 99.9% of photos of me. The only few I like are childhood and a couple of selfies that I had control over.

I would ask her.

Bahhhhhumbug Wed 25-Oct-17 07:46:11

Well yes you can but it's a tad insensitive isn't it. I thought you were going to say she replaced with pics of her kids or family and was going to say not everyone has pics of friends up in house. But to replace with other friends is a bit ...hmphhh. Maybe she is very fussy about pics of herself l know a few people like this, my dd is one who will delete lots of perfectly nice pics of herself because she thinks she looks miserable/ double chin/ insert whatever. Maybe the pics of her with her other friends are better of her iyswim ? Why don't you mention it lightheartedly in a kind of ' Oh l see l've been taken down from the hall of fame' or ilk and see what she says.

Bananasplit47 Wed 25-Oct-17 07:47:49

No, no kids, I would understand replacing it with that but to replace with pics of other friends I found strange

Bahhhhhumbug Wed 25-Oct-17 07:49:04

Sorry interrupted whilst typing, x posts with everyone.

Flisspaps Wed 25-Oct-17 07:50:05

How many frames, and has she replaced all of them?

MadMags Wed 25-Oct-17 07:50:17

That's very odd. And quite mean, really!

Bananasplit47 Wed 25-Oct-17 07:52:00

Three frames, and yes! They weren't massive ones or anything like that, just quirky little frames I'd found that I knew she'd like

RapunzelsRealMom Wed 25-Oct-17 07:52:22

That’s not on.

Maybe she didn’t like how she looked (I usually hate pics of me) so she should have put them somewhere else, not on show to everyone.

I’d be terribly hurt. Can’t you ask her why she did this?

Bahhhhhumbug Wed 25-Oct-17 07:53:46

You need to say something really then , didon't she seem embarrassed? I would be mortified , l once 'recycled' a frame but kept the new subjects pic in it upstairs ( an old out of date pic of a relative) and one day they had cause to go upstairs and their face was a picture ( no pun intended) when they saw it and l was mortified actually.

burntoutmum Wed 25-Oct-17 07:54:42

I’d be hurt too! My grandma did this a couple of times, I gave her a frame with a pic of my children in and the next time she’d replaced it with a pic of my cousins. It stung a bit!!

MrsExpo Wed 25-Oct-17 07:59:29

Maybe she thought that the frames were the actual gift and you just put the pics in them rather than give her just empty frames.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 25-Oct-17 08:01:38

Wow that’s rude! I could perhaps understand replacing up to two out of the three even though it would sting. But all 3 is cruel.

Mummyoflittledragon Wed 25-Oct-17 08:02:15

burntoutmum angry. That’s shit.

FenceSitter01 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:03:17

I'd find that a really odd present. Sorry. A bit, well 'needy', requiring affirmation that that person was friend, so much so, she needs to live on my mantle. I'd be stepping away, rapidly.

Whambarsarentasfizzyastheywere Wed 25-Oct-17 08:07:12

Is it just me that thinks it's odd to give someone 3 photos of yourself as a gift?

She obviously just wanted to choose her own photos for her own house, I don't think it's a big deal. She obviously loved the frames as she is using them.

CosmicStrider Wed 25-Oct-17 08:09:43

@wham I agree giving photos of yourself is a bit odd, but pics of them together, that maybe have specifics memories attached, then that is not weird

MrLovebucket Wed 25-Oct-17 08:10:39

I'm with MrsExpo, she probably thought it was just a bit of personalised 'background'

I think it's a bit odd to give someone 3 pictures of yourself even if the other person also feature in the photos.

I agree that she probably didn't like how she looked in the picture(s).

I can understand why it would be hurtful for all the photos to be replaced though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now