Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about my arm? (Pic included)

(18 Posts)
OhShit2017 Wed 25-Oct-17 01:38:58

Had a blood test on Friday which hurt more than usual, and for the rest of the day my arm was so painful I could hardly move it.

It has been getting steadily more bruised, this is what it looks like today. It still hurts, though not as much as it did.

Should I go to a doctor or is this just a thing that happens sometimes and will sort itself out?

Ohmyfuck Wed 25-Oct-17 01:41:18

I don't know but I don't think it's usual. Perhaps you should call 111 to put your mind at rest. I hope you're better soon. Xx

SeaToSki Wed 25-Oct-17 01:42:43

Do you have any numbness to tingling in your arm or hand/fingers?

TestingTestingWonTooFree Wed 25-Oct-17 01:43:45

I had that after a failed attempt to donate blood. It got better on its own but it was sore.

Sprinklestar Wed 25-Oct-17 01:44:59

I had a blood test leave a bruise like that once. I was pregnant. My dad said it looked like someone had put my arm in a vice! The lady taking my blood was new and prodded around a lot!

OhShit2017 Wed 25-Oct-17 01:46:06

No I don’t have any numbness or tingling, it just hurts all the way down my arm.

PointlessUsername Wed 25-Oct-17 01:50:46

I have had Large bruises after blood tests and i think its when not enough pressure is applied when removing the needle. I bruise easily anyhow.

I think as you have pain in your arm too i would get it looked at.

SeaToSki Wed 25-Oct-17 01:51:55

So that amount of bruising isnt great, they probably damaged the vein a little with the needle. If there is no numbness or tingling, then they havent damaged a nerve. So I would probably ice it for 20 mins every 2 hrs for 24 hrs and dont use it much. If you can, keep it elevated. If it gets worse, go to the doctor as you may have a little blood clot. If it is not significantly better in 24 hrs, go to the doctor anyway. One technique to know if its getting worse, is gently draw around the edges of the bruising with a biro, and write down the time. Then if it grows, the doctor can see how much in how long. Hope you are feeling better soon.

OhShit2017 Wed 25-Oct-17 01:54:56

Thanks, that’s really helpful. Though for some reason it hurts worse when it’s elevated. Will do the biro thing and if it carries on getting worse I’ll try to get to the doctors on Thursday, I’m out and about all day tomorrow.

LuluJakey1 Wed 25-Oct-17 01:55:50

I had a junior Dr make a mess of my arm with a needle for an IV. After numerous goes he managed to damage a vein and it swelled up like a ping pong ball under the skin. I had bruises like yours for ages and it was sore. He gave up in the end. The nurses were furious with him, poor man! Just looks like bruising from a damaged vein to me but I sympathise.

RightYesButNo Wed 25-Oct-17 02:03:53

Yep, I’ve had exactly this. If I remember correctly, it’s usually caused by one of three things.

- The vein got piffled during the blood draw. Yes, piffled is the medical term grin Usually, when the vein is pierced or collapses or something.
- They didn’t apply enough pressure when pulling the needle out, like @PointlessUsername said.
- You did heavy exercise, hit your arm, lifted something heavy, so on, after blood draw.

I had #1 happen, and it seems like you probably did, too, since this looks very similar to my bruise. I think they advised I take ibuprofen and I was told to ice, as @SeatoSki recommended. It helps. You should mainly be concerned if it swells, turns pink or red, or is hot to the touch. If the discomfort is going down, then the worst may have already passed, but if any of those happen (swelling, redness, heat), I would call 111.

I do hope it feels better soon, OP.

SpareASquare Wed 25-Oct-17 02:06:29

I often bruise like this and it HURTS! For me, my veins are not easy to find and if I don't bruise it's a bonus.

PyongyangKipperbang Wed 25-Oct-17 02:09:26

Why did you have the test?

Some conditions can cause excessive bruising.

Aquamarine1029 Wed 25-Oct-17 02:52:32

This, unfortunately, is very normal after a blood draw. The phlebotomist did a shit job. This exact thing has happened to me several time, for tests as well as blood donation. It's going to be sore as hell for a few days and look ghastly, but I assure you you will be fine.

bigbluedustbin Wed 25-Oct-17 03:16:50

That’s totally normal after getting blood taken by someone who sucks at taking blood. If it doesn’t get better in a couple of days then go and see a dr, but it’s nothing worse than what I’ve seen from bad blood draws (which I’ve seen a lot of due to my line of work!)

mtpaektu Wed 25-Oct-17 03:17:17

I’ve had that before after blood tests. It eventually fades away.

mrbob Wed 25-Oct-17 03:45:23

It doesn't just happen when someone is "shit at taking blood" It can happen for several reasons, including as someone said if enough pressure is not put on the site afterwards. Sometimes getting blood/a cannula in is REALLY hard even when you have done thousands and veins can just blow for no apparent reason. Please don't assume incompetence.

mrbob Wed 25-Oct-17 03:46:13

Should have said- I am sorry your arm is that bruised btw! It must feel very uncomfortable and I would second the ice/elevation advice given above...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now