Talk

Advanced search

Doing something you've been dreading and getting a good outcome

(7 Posts)
TequilaLemonSalt Tue 24-Oct-17 22:31:04

I'm not able to go to any of my lectures/ seminars for a particular module this year at uni. My work won't allow me to change my hours. Before I got this job in July, me and DD were weeks away from being homeless. I lived in a homeless hostel when I was pregnant, and it was horrific (drug addicts trying to break my door down in the middle of the night etc). It's no place for a child or anyone. So I would always put my degree before a job, but it can't be at the expense of my DDs home.

I have been so nervous about getting in contact with my seminar tutor and telling her. Realistically, I'm breaking the rules and she is within her rights to fail me/ recommend I get kicked out of uni. Last year my attendance was shocking too, due to leaving an abusive relationship and going through court cases and things which left me with extreme anxiety. Luckily I still got a 2.1, but I'm determined to bring it up to a first this year.

Anyway, I got an email the other day, basically a warning. I'm usually quite private, but I just panicked and included all of the above - made it clear I would never ask her for help or anything as I know that's really unfair, and just begged for a chance to finish my degree.

She wrote back saying I could email her any time, or she'd be happy to meet with me whenever it was convenient for me, and not to worry and she will help me however she can.

gringrin god I'm so happy! This has literally been causing me so much anxiety. This happens to me a lot actually - I massively blow things out of proportion in my head, and for the most part people are lovely, and things turn out ok.

What was the last thing you did that you were dreading, that ended up being ok/ good?

thesandwich Tue 24-Oct-17 22:33:44

Can’t add, but wanted to say well doneflowers

RangeTesKopeks Tue 24-Oct-17 22:35:53

Congratulations OP flowers really pleased for you smile

DancingDragon Tue 24-Oct-17 22:38:11

Thats fab. Well done.

Columbine1 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:39:53

That's great but please do go & talk to her. Its very difficult to do assessments if you never attend the module so you must get the assistance on offer.
Disappointed at yr employer though - most who employ students are more flexible.

TequilaLemonSalt Tue 24-Oct-17 22:49:42

Oh thanks everyone grin it honestly wasn't a stealth boast, but means a lot. flowers

I am definitely happy to have her to email now if I have a question! Really relieved I'll be able to do that in future if needed. And to be fair to my employers, I wasn't particularly upfront about the need for flexibility at interview and completely negated to mention my 2 year old. I had been to so many interviews where I was honest about being a student single parent, and they couldn't get me out of the door quick enough. And I was desperate. I am a good, reliable worker though, so hoping they don't feel too shafted blush

ComingUpTrumps Wed 25-Oct-17 09:01:20

Such a positive result for you OP smile congratulations flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now