Talk

Advanced search

To prefer a cork rather than a screw top on a bottle of Wine?

(11 Posts)
tyunnos Tue 24-Oct-17 22:06:47

I'm willing to pay slightly more if the bottle has a cork rather than a screw top. My friend thinks I'm crazy and refuses to buy non screw tops as apparently corks are too hard to pull out.

I just love the pop noise it makes and the act of pulling it out. Makes the drink feel rather more special rather than just something mundane like unscrewing a bottle of juice.

I even have a preference to a real cork rather than a plastic one. I find those are more difficult to place back into the top if I don't have a wine stopper to hand.

Does anyone else love a good old fashioned cork? wink

BlackForestCake Tue 24-Oct-17 22:11:17

I like a cork too, but screw tops are actually better for the wine, and there is a world-wide cork shortage, so you are going to see fewer and fewer real corks in the future I'm afraid.

FleetwoodMacDonalds Tue 24-Oct-17 22:11:44

Ooooh I'm with you there OP! I can't explain why, but it just feels like much more of an "occasion" when you have to get the corkscrew out winkgrin

Believeitornot Tue 24-Oct-17 22:14:20

And this is why I only drink champagne wink

Seriously I don’t give it a second thought. It is wine. It tastes nice.

TonicAndTonic Tue 24-Oct-17 22:17:45

I'm only bothered if it's fizz tbh! Otherwise perfectly happy not to have to bugger about with a corkscrew. A couple of times I've come across sparkling wines in a screw cap bottle tough, and opening them is a definite let-down.

Lambside Tue 24-Oct-17 22:19:14

Nah, real corks are just a pain to open and then you can't as easily stopper up the bottle again.
So if there's a cork shortage I'm going to be very environmentally friendly.

Vitalogy Tue 24-Oct-17 22:19:25

According to Wiki cork is more environmentally friendly.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_(material)

LoniceraJaponica Tue 24-Oct-17 22:20:30

YABU.

I agree with BlckForestCake. OH is a wine enthusiast and actively avoids wine with corks in these days. We have had a few with cork taint and don't always drink the wine we buy straight away. Returning a bottle of wine that we bought three months previously is not so easy when we no longer have the receipt.

A lot of the top quality wine manufacturers use screw tops on their wines and only snobs and people who don't know any better look down their noses at screw top wines these days. All that does is make them look like pretentious nobs anyway.

Jogel Tue 24-Oct-17 22:22:09

I also prefer a cork, for the reasons you've mentioned, plus I love to have a sniff of the end that's been inside the bottle as soon as it comes out. Has to be a cork cork, not a plastic one.

MyOtherProfile Tue 24-Oct-17 22:22:09

I like pulling a cork out but most of the wines I prefer are screw top so I'd rather a wine I love with a screw top than one I lile less with a cork .

Vitalogy Tue 24-Oct-17 22:32:04

I think the last time I had a cork top, when it came to putting the cork back in, the cork was thinner the other end so would fit back in the bottle top better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: