Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to not bother with local tradesmen

(10 Posts)
InspMorse Tue 24-Oct-17 21:07:03

Cooker has developed a fault.
The internet has told me that the fault code means that the element needs replacing.
I've always thought it best to support local tradesmen but I'm losing the will to live. I've left messages & called 5 different numbers this week and not one answer/reply. Is it this hard to find people in other areas or is it just me?
Do I just give up & use domestic & general? and pay £££ for the privilege ?

JKR123 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:10:44

This is a small job which is why they probably haven't bothered returning your calls.

PurpleStar123 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:12:13

Also there isn’t an alternative to local tradespeople it isn’t like a nationwide agency is ready to step in. I do think a nationwide small building company would do v well!

InspMorse Tue 24-Oct-17 21:13:33

angry I always thought small jobs were the ones that brought in the money! £50 call out is standard round here and if it's a 10 min job all the better for them. Oh well...

Anecdoche Tue 24-Oct-17 21:14:46

the heating element on an electric cooker?

you can do it yourself.

it is quite simple.

we bought the spare part and followed a youtube video and bob's your uncle 😁

have a look and see if you think it is something you can do.

InspMorse Tue 24-Oct-17 21:17:37

Anec I am a tradesman' dream
except I'm obviously not in this case because I can't change a lightbulb. I have to pay out for everything! grin

Anecdoche Tue 24-Oct-17 21:58:07

oh crikey you poor bugger.
i am as tight as a duck's arse so have become very handy 😁

i hope you manage to get someone to do it.

it is a shame there arent more small job companies. there is certainly the market for it.

BananaSandwichesEveryDay Tue 24-Oct-17 22:03:52

I agree with Anec. The element on our cooker has gone a couple of times and we've purchased replacements from here . There are a lot of very helpful videos on the site and both times dh has been able to carry out the repair himself, in under 30 minutes. Definite faster and cheaper than trying to get a local tradesman to do the job. Especially when it went on 23rd December one time. I ordered the part online, it was delivered by lunchtime the next day (Christmas Eve) and do had fitted it by late afternoon. Good job, not sure what would have happened about Christmas dinner otherwise.

LannieDuck Tue 24-Oct-17 22:11:08

If it's a small job, have you tried a handyman? We have a couple around where I live who advertise locally. You might find something similar advertised in a newspaper window or if you have a local FB group?

LannieDuck Tue 24-Oct-17 22:11:34

(Newsagent window, obv, not newspaper!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now