Talk

Advanced search

To think It's just a pumpkin

(16 Posts)
Rainbowblume Tue 24-Oct-17 21:02:11

Ok. Its not just a pumpkin. At nursery dd3 will be the only kid on friday afternoon without her mum or dad there to cut a pumpkin with her. We are both at work. DH is so upset about it he prefers to take her out for the day to his parents so she is not the odd one out. My view is it's just an hour pumpkin cutting and the nursery teacher said they'd do it with her so she won't be worried for long that we arent there. Also his parents are older (late70s and early 80s) and not able to walk well and in my view not fit to cover a whole day child care of a 3 year who runs off so fast I struggle to catch her. So, I think we should just suck up that we've chosen to work full time and therefore won't be available for every nursery and school event. AIBU?

MrTrebus Tue 24-Oct-17 21:05:12

YANBU she'll be fine. Surely she won't be the only one without a parent there? I thought people paid for nursery because they're at work? I am a newbie parent though!! I think she will be ok and it will toughen her up for any further times you both can't be at an event. Just ask the nursery staff to stress to her how exciting it will be to take it home to show mum and dad, or how exciting it will be to show off to mum/dad when they come to collect you, that's what I used to get excited about when I was little and my parents worked full time miles away and couldn't get to events like that.

Ttbb Tue 24-Oct-17 21:05:33

YANBU she'll be so excited about carving that she will not even notice that you are not there.

Outnotdown Tue 24-Oct-17 21:05:41

Couldn't one of her grandparents go to nursery to cut the pumpkin with her?

LindyHemming Tue 24-Oct-17 21:07:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DaisyTheDeer Tue 24-Oct-17 21:07:11

I do feel sad that you won't be there with DD. But like you said, it can't be helped. There may be other parents that don't actually turn up for this even though they've said they will, so she may not be the only one

DaisyTheDeer Tue 24-Oct-17 21:07:39

I agree that she probably won't even notice that you're not there when she starts carving

CorbynsBumFlannel Tue 24-Oct-17 21:07:39

Wouldn’t it be easier for one of his parents to go to the nursery and help with the pumpkin?

Rainbowblume Tue 24-Oct-17 21:10:39

outnotdown I would love that idea but they are an hour drive away near DH work and main driver just had a cataract operation so not able to drive and Id feel mean inviting them but then not hosting them for the weekend. I dont want to scramble to host them for the weekend after travelling for the week just because DH has the guilts.

ineedamoreadultieradult Tue 24-Oct-17 21:13:57

She will not be the only one. Even if she is that will probably mean she will get one on one attention from one of the workers. She will have a lovely day.

Rainbowblume Tue 24-Oct-17 21:14:07

I'm travelling this week for work to clarify. But I fully believe she'll be the only one. Lots of parents are part time or have flexibility on a friday afternoon here. But yes. In my view that's how it is.

CorbynsBumFlannel Tue 24-Oct-17 21:15:30

It might be easier for them than a 3yr old for the day?

TheMogget Tue 24-Oct-17 21:17:40

I went to a Christmas craft afternoon at my DD2’s nursery last year. There were 3/4 parents including me, most children did the crafts with the nursery teachers.

Ploppie4 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:32:15

Tell your DC that the nursery pumpkin cutting will help him practice for the main exciting event of pumpkin cutting with DH and grandparents

ownedbySWD Tue 24-Oct-17 21:40:27

I like Ploppie's idea.

Just wanted to say, I recently went to dd's nursery stay and play session , and DD couldn't have cared less. I envisioned her taking me round to look at all the things she enjoys doing, but I was studiously ignored in favour of the water tray. Thoroughly made to feel useless! grin Perhaps your DD won't notice/mind you not being there?

Whatsername17 Tue 24-Oct-17 21:43:10

Try not to worry. Your dd will be fine. Dd1s nursery decided they wanted to take them on a day trip when she was 3. I just couldn't handle the idea of her going, it was quite a distance and I wanted her inside the safe nursery building not on and off a coach. The nursery made me feel really guilty, telling me she'd be the only kid her age not going etc. I know looking back I was being a bit pfb but I don't really care - I needed to make the decision I was most comfortable with. Anyway, she spent the day in the baby room and absolutely loved it. Your dd will be fine. I think you and your dh will miss out more than her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now