Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours dog. Aibu or is she?!

(20 Posts)
FuckCalmRhageOn Tue 24-Oct-17 20:37:58

More of a wwyd.

Next door neighbour is on the whole a fairly decent woman. We have no issues. Other then her bloody dog. She is an early riser (her own admission) and gets up every single day at 5am. Her rather large dog barks continuously until she comes down her stairs (normally lasts about 1.5 -2hrs) the barking is so loud it wakes me my dh and my youngest ds. I know dogs bark. And I'm not a dog hater. I have a large breed dog.... she's just well trained.
We have approached her about the noise so early and was brushed off with ..... well she's waiting for me to get up properly and give her breakfast!!!! It's driving me mad. Would ibu to put in a formal complaint? I am not exaggerating when I say it's 7 days a week. She is otherwise lovely. Wwyd

missymayhemsmum Tue 24-Oct-17 20:43:41

Time the dog's barking for a week.
Give the log to her and explain the impact it is having on your family.
Tell her she needs to do something about it (train the dog/ feed it earlier/let it upstairs/ get rid) or you'll report her to environmental health.YANBU. Polite but firm.

IdaDown Tue 24-Oct-17 20:48:23

So, the neighbour’s up at 5am but the dog’s barking for up to 2hrs before that - 3am ish?

Surely she’d hear her own dog?

I’d be going round and knocking at her door when the dog’s barking - a few 3am wake ups should drive the message home.

Unicorn81 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:53:35

Time and record then let her listen to it so she realises how bad it is

Santawontbelong Tue 24-Oct-17 20:55:38

As soon as you hear it go round and knock her out of bed. ...

Nandoshoes Tue 24-Oct-17 20:56:54

Defo complain my dogs love to bark but she's a Piss taker !!!

Doilooklikeatourist Tue 24-Oct-17 20:57:27

As missy said

wombatron Tue 24-Oct-17 20:58:44

Feel for you OP. Next door work shifts and let their dog out at all times. The most shrilling and annoying high pitched bark the second the door handle is pulled down - goes on for a few minutes regardless of the time.

Wakes me up, wakes DP up, wakes my 2 dogs up. Who then (as they are old), bark back and want to go for a pee as they’ve been woken up. Annoying. Def day something- it sounds like she’s just letting it bark for the sake of it. Not on!

Toast3 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:59:32

That’s awful and completely unreasonable... must be like living in a nightmare!

FuckCalmRhageOn Tue 24-Oct-17 21:05:02

Apologies if my post wasn't clear. It barks when she wakes and has a shower at 5am. She usually takes 2 hours to come down and greet her dog and just leaves it barking.

It barks in the day whenever she is out but I can drown that out. But not really suitable in a small culdesac

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 21:07:53

Bloody hell. Can't she let the dog out and feed it and greet it THEN have the shower? Who leaves a dog barking for two hours? That'd drive me batshit.
And yes. I have a big dog too.
Up
Dog out for wee. I go too. So she isn't barking.
Feed and cuddle dog.
Shower.
Simple.

PandorasXbox Tue 24-Oct-17 21:19:19

That’s crazy. Go back and have another word with her, tell her you’re exhausted and you can’t put up with it. I’m surprised it’s not driving her mad too.

FuckCalmRhageOn Tue 24-Oct-17 21:33:28

She is oblivious. We spoke to her last week. And again tonight. She was baffled as to why it was pissing us off.
Contemplating sending her info on removing it's vocal chords. angry

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Tue 24-Oct-17 21:33:39

What? Who leaves a dog for 2 hours before going down to say hello, feed and let them out for a wee??

Now it's dark Ddog won't go out in the garden when I first get up but I still go down and say hello before going back up for a shower.

Do record it, how annoying.

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 21:37:58

It's a noise nuisance. Report.

Doilooklikeatourist Tue 24-Oct-17 21:38:29

Phone environmental health for some advice

dudsville Tue 24-Oct-17 21:38:34

That's so sad! I get up early for work and my dogs are used to this schedule so on days off I still have to get up and feed and toilet them. I always do this before anything else. That's mean of her to leave her dog calling out like that and bad form as a neighbour.

washingmachinefastwash Tue 24-Oct-17 21:56:47

I get woken at 8.15 every day by my dogs. I would never ever let them whine or bark at that time never mind 5am!

I’m guessing you share a wall? Do you have a plug socket on the wall to plug an ultrasonic bark device in?

It won’t hurt the dog but emits a high pitched noise when it barks. That’s not solving the issue of the neighbours ignorance of the problem but it might get you an extra couple of hours of uninterrupted sleep.

wombatron Tue 24-Oct-17 22:46:40

I’m and echoing other posters to agree...
I’m also up at 6.30am on weekends to feed and toilet my dogs - occasionally they snooze till 8 but I get up, feed em, pee and go back to bed. Your neighbour is unreasonable taking 2 hours to get herself downstairs. My dogs don’t rule my house... but I do this to save my neighbours weekend lie ins

BriechonCheese Tue 24-Oct-17 23:41:41

Our next door neighbour has a dog that barks from 6am-1am with a half an hour pause around 3.30pm where he howls instead of barks. They don't get why we complain to them. We are reluctant to make a formal complaint as we want to sell soon and if looks like they are leaving too.

My husband wakes early for his commute (around 5.30). As soon as he is up, the dogs are awake and if he didn't go straight downstairs they would lose their minds and bark wildly. So straight down he goes (before even urinating), greets them, lets them in the garden, feeds them and then he gets on with his morning. Anything else would be irresponsible.

I suggest noting it down and recording with your phone for a couple of days. Then presenting her with the evidence and let her know if it continues into you will be banging on her door every time it starts up and you will be putting in an official noise complaint. Why should you have to have disturbed sleep because she is too lazy to care for her animal?

Does she have a close neighbour on the other side?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now