Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that Apple's customer service is now terrible?

(40 Posts)
Sarahjconnor Tue 24-Oct-17 18:45:56

What is your experience?

As a family we own various apple products - iphones, a macbook and ipads. I have spent a lot on these as I am appalling with technology and no matter how hard I try I really struggle. In the past I found apple really helpful so stuck with them despite being so expensive.

My macbook recently stopped charging and I have been trying to get an appointment or return it for repair 8 weeks. 37 phone calls, 12 emails, 3 on line 'chats' 4 visits to store. Today finally someone looked at it and told me it 'wasn't worth repairing' and was very patronising and deliberately rude. I also observed staff mocking an elderly customer who was struggling with her walking stick.

Is this a one off? Or should I look else where now?

Advice much appreciated.

misscockerspaniel Tue 24-Oct-17 18:52:17

Was that dealing with a particular store? I've only ever had to use the Apple telephone helpline and the service was A star.

InspMorse Tue 24-Oct-17 18:56:53

Try again. Phone or book an appointment at the Genius Bar and tell them what you know.
They can replace the entire hard drive ffs so I'm sure it can be repaired!!

InspMorse Tue 24-Oct-17 18:57:23

Which Apple Store was it?

foresttrees2 Tue 24-Oct-17 19:00:33

I had amazing service from an Apple Store a few weeks ago. They replaced a broken watch I'd bought second hand. They were great!
The "genius" there was helping an elderly couple who had got their old iPad fixed and was absolutely lovely to them. He then took quite a lot of time to find a case they liked as they wanted something special for an anniversary present to themselves.
Do you have an alternative store nearby?

rubybleu Tue 24-Oct-17 19:00:57

No, Apple Store service is appalling. I wanted to buy a phone a few weeks ago (reserved online) & despite a surfeit of blue t-shirted staff staring at iPads, had to ask three different people before someone designed to help me. Genius Bar appointments are no less irritating - sent off to stand at a table with umpteen dozen people for half an hour with no idea when or if you’ll be seen. Meanwhile, loads of staff stand around aimlessly concentrating on their iPads and studiously ignoring customers.

RavingRoo Tue 24-Oct-17 19:10:21

Not my experience. Had an iphone 3 that went bonkers recently (use it for calls), they gave me an iphone 5s free of charge and let me keep my phone as it has become a collectors item.

MrsHandles Tue 24-Oct-17 19:12:14

We’ve just had a huge problem with Apple. My DHs watch screen has literally exploded from its surround. After looking online this is apparently a common problem with batteries swelling in the latest model. He sent it to Apple who’ve emailed him saying they’re refusing to repair it as there’s a small scratch on the screen so ‘obviously’ he has damaged the face, hence it popping out of the surrounding. Its Infuriating as he’s only had it a couple of weeks.

Their suggestion is to send it back to him, then he resends it to Apple in the hope he gets another repairer - they actually said this to him! Disgraceful.

Sarahjconnor Tue 24-Oct-17 19:21:43

It was Manchester Arndale.

They told me it was 'financially nonviable' and 'not worth repair' which is fine if that's the case but he then gave me a hard sell on a new one. The man laughed in my face when I told him I'd saved to repair it. It all felt really mean and school yard bullying tbh.

I tried to make appointments at the 'genius' bar repeatedly but they only have 1 or 2 a week available and at short notice which I cant arrange work/caring commitments around. I was told I should come to the store at 9am and be prepared to wait until someone could help me but I can't do that with my commitments.

It was just very unpleasant, difficult time consuming (one of my phone calls was 2 hours 11 minutes!) and I would be happy to jump thru hoops for the stretched NHS or other public service but not a multi billion dollar company.

mirime Tue 24-Oct-17 19:24:56

I found their online customer service to be bad as well. Update for my iPod touch killed the battery life and it kept freezing. Their response was basically 'tough'.

My response was not to buy anymore Apple products.

Sarahjconnor Tue 24-Oct-17 19:25:18

I don't mind if the laptop is irreparable - it is 2.5 years old - I just don't want to have to spend days and days of my time and be treated like a pleb to find out that it's irreparable iyswim

foresttrees2 Tue 24-Oct-17 19:28:30

2.5 years is still pretty new to me! I'd really hope something like that could be repaired in most cases - presuming you've not run it over with a tank, shot holes in it or sawn it up etc....

foresttrees2 Tue 24-Oct-17 19:31:05

Just had a quick google, is it the battery - as that looks simple to replace and the store should be able to do that.

Sarahjconnor Tue 24-Oct-17 19:31:44

diagnosed as water damage - I did not see it get wet so must have been a small spillage or rain when travelling. Still works fine - won't charge up.

BishopBrennansArse Tue 24-Oct-17 19:32:53

Bizarre.

Every time I’ve visited the Brighton store (3 repair appointments and one purchase) they’ve been amazing.

I’ve found online support good too, and telephone.

Storminateapot Tue 24-Oct-17 19:49:36

I have an iPhone 6s where the screen spontaneously cracked after 2 months earlier this year, so well within warranty (it still is). I am disabled and at the time was very ill and bedbound so the phone was only ever on a bedside table or my lap. Never dropped, damaged or poorly treated.

I phoned the helpline and initially spoke to someone who was very reassuring that they would sort it. I had to take some photos then a technician looked at my 'case' and refused to help. I had to chase for this information, nobody bothered to tell me. They wouldn't repair it, didn't even offer a repair at my expense, just a flat 'fuck off'.

I was told if I took the phone to a Genius Bar they might help, I explained again that I was bedbound and the nearest store is in a city 30 miles away. They may as well have asked me to take it to the moon. Since I couldn't do that it was just tough luck, they ended the phone call with me in tears, and I've just had to get used to a cracked screen.

We have 8 Apple devices in this house but I will never buy another of their crap quality overpriced rubbish after that experience.

Sarahjconnor Tue 24-Oct-17 19:54:33

I found it bizarre - willfully unhelpful and rude

storm - I am also disabled and a carer so have a lot of commitments and restrictions. Similar experiences. Hmmm

Sarahjconnor Tue 24-Oct-17 19:58:29

fortress - I replaced the battery myself on advice of the helpline, but it still didn't work which is when everything went to crap and they started 'transferring me to a manager' and 'hanging up on me!

Indigo90 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:18:00

I agree that apple are largely relying on their past customer service. I have also been told water damage for a laptop which had definitely not been near any water and ho interest at all in repairing a broken ipad screen. The apple warranties are now a bit crap (though you can get an extra year buying through John Lewis).

I love my apple stuff and as a family we have a ton of apple products but I feel it is all in the initial sale now and they have no interest after that. As my tech slowly dies I will not be replacing it with more apple.

Ontheboardwalk Tue 24-Oct-17 20:39:03

I've had two bad experiences at the Apple Arndale store as well!

I had a cracked iPhone screen. Just needed to hand it in and wait for it to be repaired.

Was sent to wait at a table where a bloke was helping 4 people before me with restores and complicated issues. I was sat there over an hour before he got to me and my 5 minute job to hand the phone over.

The 2nd was I just wanted to buy a case. I was sent to the guy on the left who then sent me to the guy on the right who then sent me to the guy at the back. It was only when I made it look like I was going to walk out with it did I get any attention.

childmaintenanceserviceinquiry Tue 24-Oct-17 20:48:03

You might get an extra year warranty with jl but that is of course if Jl accept the warranty and actually do the repair. Their customer service is not what it was.

niknac1 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:54:17

I have recently had 2 customer service experiences with Apple which were excellent so they aren’t all bad. One was on the telephone and one was at a Genius Bar pre arranged appointment. I would think that as your device is less than 3 years old and very expensive I would book a Genius Bar appointment and if not satisfied ask if consumers legislation ie fit for purpose as John Lewis offers 3 year guarantees for items such as yours.

BishopBrennansArse Tue 24-Oct-17 21:12:06

I’m a wheelchair user and at Brighton they had a special lowered desk to wheelchair height which they pulled out for me.

Do you use a different store?

AJPTaylor Tue 24-Oct-17 21:18:59

if it is water damage claim off your household policy for a replacement.

Sarahjconnor Tue 24-Oct-17 21:20:57

I can’t make a Genius Bar reservation because there are never any available at Manchester arndale or Trafford centre. V frustrating. This week one app avail at 24hrs notice on tues at 1pm. I can’t drop my responsibilities and attend at such short notice as I’m
a carer and work full time. I can attend an app early or late with 4/5 days notice but they can’t do that sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now