Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To start a support group for children who cannot entertain themselves

(9 Posts)
cokeyhokey Tue 24-Oct-17 17:38:54

My dd is nearly 2 and has never been that great at entertaining herself but at the moment it is incredibly intense. She has a 4m old little brother so I’m sure that has something to do with it but I find myself relying on tv more than I’d like because she finds it so hard to play by herself.

This week has been particularly hard as the weather has been shit and her brother is not sleeping and I find it very hard to summon the energy to play with her all afternoon.

We go out every morning all morning so it is mainly the afternoons that I struggle with, and I do play with her, a lot, and I try to set up games and sneak away, and I give her ideas “have a tea party with your toys!” Etc, to no avail, it always ends with “come on mummy” or “watch tv now?”.

Will it get better or is this her personality? She’s INCREDIBLY sociable and outgoing although I know that may change.

Is the tv making things worse? (Probably).

Thank god i accidentally had a small age gap, they’ll play together right? RIGHT?

Sometimes she even wants me to watch tv with her!

cokeyhokey Tue 24-Oct-17 17:42:51

Obviously I meant a support group for the parents, not the kids grin

MycatsaPirate Tue 24-Oct-17 17:43:13

It's an age thing. She will hopefully grow out of it but it's incredibly difficult when you have another child and stuff to do in the house.

Suggestions of mine are: Include her in what YOU are doing - give her a small job to do (give her a tea towel to 'clean' with while you are washing up or prepping dinner)

Get a cardboard box she can fit in and give her some crayons. Ask her to decorate the box inside.

Make it clear she gets an hour's mummy time but mummy needs to spend time with the baby and do other things. She can either help or play on her own but you can't play all the time as you are a grown up.

I remember this stage. Invariably my entire kitchen cupboards would be emptied all over the floor while I was making dinner but at least I got the dinner made without her hanging off my trousers! Then we made a game of putting everything back.

This will pass. I promise.

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 24-Oct-17 17:43:41

I have three children who have always been able to amuse themselves, and one who needs a lot more input. I think it's a personality thing. He is the most extroverted of the four, and has a tendency to feel slightly anxious if he isn't interacting with people all the time.

BackforGood Tue 24-Oct-17 17:44:29

I reckon it is down to their personality.
dc1 was like this. Never stuck at anything. Never played with anything for longer than it took you to get it out for them.
dc2 came along and entertained herself for MUCH longer periods of time from a MUCH earlier age.

Won't tell you he's 21 now and still struggles to entertain himself
won't tell you, n, they didn't play together, only fought.

Will leave you with the thought that dc2 may well be different wink

WhatwouldAryado Tue 24-Oct-17 17:44:40

That is very young to expect a child to play by themselves.

TheSecondOfHerName Tue 24-Oct-17 17:46:00

He is now 13, so obviously is able to entertain himself for periods of time, but still likes to seek out company. The two siblings closest to him in age are very introverted and just want to be left alone.

MiaowTheCat Tue 24-Oct-17 17:48:37

Hate to tell you but my eldest is still like this now she's 5 (and I've got two very close in age - but they only half-play together even now). She'll flit and then she'll desperately try to drag her sister who is good at amusing herself into her flitting.

The only things she really gets engrossed in are using every bit of sellotape in the house to make things (but this requires me constantly finding the bloody end of the roll again), occasionally stuff like Junior Scrabble and harassing poor Alexa to play Let It Go and that fucking song from Trolls on a bloody loop!

Wolfiefan Tue 24-Oct-17 17:49:34

There's a method (name escapes me!) where you set something up, get them started and move away. I can't remember the details.
It's hard.
Yes they'll play together. But I bet they'll want you to join in! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now